Why become a member? ×

Synth Decision

stewblack

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

So @stewblack I am not really with you on your programming problem - the SY200 has exactly the same controls that the SY1 has

I was in error. Comparing the SY-1, that prince among pedals, with it's more expensive and considerably more opaque, competition such as the C4.

Apologies 

22 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I was in error. Comparing the SY-1, that prince among pedals, with it's more expensive and considerably more opaque, competition such as the C4.

Apologies 

oh yes, I know what you mean in that case. I got the future impact, fantastic effects and stuff but I didn't have the time to really use it, so got rid of it.

16 hours ago, fleabag said:

Covers with a duo, so extra sounds needed much more than with a 4 or 5  person band

Ah, understood.

If you can put up with the hassle of PC editing, then I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that you will get more gig-usable sounds from an FI than you will from an SY-1 / SY-200. If not, then the SY-200 (and indeed the SY-1) has a lot going for it. The Panda FI and Source Audio C4 have both got actual synth waveform generators whereas as the Boss SY-1 and SY-200 are synth emulators.

26 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

If you can put up with the hassle of PC editing, then I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that you will get more gig-usable sounds from an FI than you will from an SY-1 / SY-200.

I didn't find that. Clearly the FI can do great synth sounds about as well as you are going to get from a bass driven thing, but ultimately I find the SY more giggable. Probably because if I wanted what the FI could do I would find it orders of magnitude easier to just use a keyboard.

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I didn't find that. Clearly the FI can do great synth sounds about as well as you are going to get from a bass driven thing, but ultimately I find the SY more giggable. Probably because if I wanted what the FI could do I would find it orders of magnitude easier to just use a keyboard.

Plus, to be properly giggable the FI needs to have extra equipment attached. 

20 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Plus, to be properly giggable the FI needs to have extra equipment attached. 

Why so?

I agree that's much more true of the C4, where midi extension is pretty key, but the FI feels much more standalone as a pedal.

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Why so?

I agree that's much more true of the C4, where midi extension is pretty key, but the FI feels much more standalone as a pedal.

I think they both need a supplementary MIDI controller; tapping a footswitch multiple times to step through 99 settings is not a viable method.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, prowla said:

I think they both need a supplementary MIDI controller; tapping a footswitch multiple times to step through 99 settings is not a viable method.

But you don't need 99 settings for a gig, surely? 5 or 6 would be plenty for most gigs

And the FI allows you to scroll both up and down through your saved settings. 

If you do need to access all 99, not sure that the SY-200 would be any better without midi in any event?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But you don't need 99 settings for a gig, surely? 5 or 6 would be plenty for most gigs

If you do need to access all 99, not sure that the SY-200 would be any better without midi in any event?

having to scroll through settings mid song is not viable. Best to have each setting accessible on an individual pedal - midi controller.

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Well, if you're playing Prog you might! 🙂

But does that mean you have to organise your settings to put them near the beginning, etc.

1 hour ago, prowla said:

Well, if you're playing Prog you might! 🙂

But does that mean you have to organise your settings to put them near the beginning, etc.

Totally agree, but easily done. 

I've got exactly that set up on my Zoom B1-4 with my 7 or 8 fx patches in the first block of 10 to make scrolling through a doddle, and am planning to replicate that on my FI. And would plan to do the same if I ever get a SY-200 (assuming we have both up / down scrolling ability via stomp switch on the Boss, as is available on the FI). 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

And would plan to do the same if I ever get a SY-200 (assuming we have both up / down scrolling ability via stomp switch on the Boss, as is available on the FI). 

The footswitch functions can be set in the menu, by default it goes up and wraps round the ones you have set. Or you can put another few footswitches in the expression socket. Or midi obviously.