Why become a member? ×

DIY effects pedal power cables...

Woodwind

Has anyone on here made their own power cables for their effects pedals?

Hooking my board to an isolated PSU and I'd love right angle connectors at both ends and be able to shorten the cable run from each pedal.

Anyone done something similar?

If so where did you purchase the cable and connectors?

25 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

Has anyone on here made their own power cables for their effects pedals?

Hooking my board to an isolated PSU and I'd love right angle connectors at both ends and be able to shorten the cable run from each pedal.

Anyone done something similar?

If so where did you purchase the cable and connectors?

I bought the cheapest right angled connectors Ebay could sell me to do something similar. They are really crap 🤦🏼‍♂️ I wish I'd spent a little more. 

However, the made up cables aren't too pricey so there's no point spending too much. 

I know you can buy solder free kits (like the audio patch cables) you cut to length, but I've not tried them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

I bought the cheapest right angled connectors Ebay could sell me to do something similar. They are really crap 🤦🏼‍♂️ I wish I'd spent a little more. 

However, the made up cables aren't too pricey so there's no point spending too much. 

I know you can buy solder free kits (like the audio patch cables) you cut to length, but I've not tried them. 

I was thinking of cannibalising cables I already own, but they are all integrated moulded plastic so a) the end result will look awful and b) the worry of hooking one up with the polarity the wrong way makes me think I'll start from scratch.

I'll investigate ebay now, cheers Stew

4 hours ago, Woodwind said:

I was thinking of cannibalising cables I already own, but they are all integrated moulded plastic so a) the end result will look awful and b) the worry of hooking one up with the polarity the wrong way makes me think I'll start from scratch.

a. I have these on my own board In most cases you cannot see both ends of the cable so it doesn't really matter unless you have severe OCD, just be ure to put them all the same way round.  The first cables I started making for sale were adaptors to go from Boss 2.1mm co-ax plug to EH 3.5mm jack.  Initially I would solder both connectors but then I realised that by buying a moulded male to female 2.1mm extension lead and by using 300mm from each end I could make a male Boss to 3.5mm jack and a female Boss to 3.5mm jack for only half the effort. The offcuts were kept for one-off custom dc leads.

b. A small multimeter is essential to check and test the final result.

I used to buy almost all my bits for these from CPC/Farnell. Get them to send you a catalogue, it makes great reading. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itu said:

The cables tend to be pretty thin but molded ones have been reliable if they do not move too much. A bit too long cable can be tied to the board.

Space my friend, space.

I need 90 degree terminations on both ends of the cable to get pedals to sit where I need them 😎

• Like 1

1 minute ago, obbm said:

a. I have these on my own board In most cases you cannot see both ends of the cable so it doesn't really matter unless you have severe OCD, just be ure to put them all the same way round.  The first cables I started making for sale were adaptors to go from Boss 2.1mm co-ax plug to EH 3.5mm jack.  Initially I would solder both connectors but then I realised that by buying a moulded male to female 2.1mm extension lead and by using 300mm from each end I could make a male Boss to 3.5mm jack and a female Boss to 3.5mm jack for only half the effort. The offcuts were kept for one-off custom dc leads.

b. A small multimeter is essential to check and test the final result.

I used to buy almost all my bits for these from CPC/Farnell. Get them to send you a catalogue, it makes great reading. 

This Evening I orderd, what I imagine are, exactly the same plugs @stewblack got from ebay, then a couple of hours later I discovered a load of extra power cables tucked away in a box on a high shelf and I wished I'd just cut all my cables in half and rejoined them 90° to 90° just like your cables.

Ah well. more cheap ebay plastic in the world.