Why become a member? ×

Tech21 Bass Flyrig V2!

funkydoug

3 minutes ago, Tech21NYC said:

There was never anything broken on the Octafilter section. Many players didn't understand it but it was never broken. We did change the taper of the controls to make it easier to use. 

I don't go for the 'didn't understand it' line... I did, and it was less useful than it could have been, and the lack of FX loop denying me a solid octave before the DI was the killer. 

Definitely considering a pre-order on this though, the pre section was great, and honestly I think it's the first bass chorus I ever found that I really liked. It's great when companies take things on board.

Octave pedals work best when connected directly to the instrument. You don't want them in the effects loop or before a distortion or chorus. Like any multi-effects pedal, if you have a specific pedal that you can't do without, you may need to incorporate that with the Bass Fly Rig. The Octafilter section is better understood if you hear it in context with the effects it was patterned after. (see below) If you don't need those effects don't use them. It's still a great deal if you were to price out the pedal with individual effects. A compressor, VT Bass DI, Bass Driver, Chorus and Tuner. 

• Like 4

I run my octaver in the loop at the moment, after the dirt and before the modulation effects, and it has the tracking to handle it well, although it's never on at the same time as any modulation. It's the sound I want.  It's all academic anyway now, as I've put a pre-order in. 

I'd appreciate knowing where in the chain the loop is positioned?

I'm very tempted by this. I was looking to get a Sansamp and couldn't decide between a VT Bass or the Bass Driver. Also need to get a chorus and I borrowed an octave pedal and while I liked it I couldn't justify buying one for just one song. So this looks to have it all and the demo sounds ace. 

Anyone know if the Sans amp can be switched between voicings via the pedal or is it you have either VT-bass or Bass Driver? I'm thinking it's one or the other from the demo like you can have a clean VT-Bass and then an over driver VT-Bass but can't have a clean VT-Bass then an overdriven Bass Driver. 

40 minutes ago, sirmuppet said:

Anyone know if the Sans amp can be switched between voicings via the pedal or is it you have either VT-bass or Bass Driver? 

There is a button you push to change voicing, so essentially no you can't do what you want there. It's either Bass Driver or VT on both channels.

42 minutes ago, sirmuppet said:

I'm thinking it's one or the other from the demo like you can have a clean VT-Bass and then an over driver VT-Bass but can't have a clean VT-Bass then an overdriven Bass Driver. 

Exactly this.

Which is a shame because again had that been an option I'd be all over it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tayste_2000 said:

There is a button you push to change voicing, so essentially no you can't do what you want there. It's either Bass Driver or VT on both channels.

Exactly this.

Which is a shame because again had that been an option I'd be all over it.

Thought so. It would have been nice to have that option but in reality I used the bass driver deluxe for a long time and set the EQ the same on all channels and just changed the gain/volume on each. So it probably won't be an issue for me, would have been cool but likely you'd have to change the EQ between them and with a shared EQ it makes sense to not offer that option. Unless the V3 has basically a BD & VTB deluxe in it, lol. I really like what they have done with this pedal though. 

15 hours ago, Tech21NYC said:

Octave pedals work best when connected directly to the instrument. You don't want them in the effects loop or before a distortion or chorus. Like any multi-effects pedal, if you have a specific pedal that you can't do without, you may need to incorporate that with the Bass Fly Rig. The Octafilter section is better understood if you hear it in context with the effects it was patterned after. (see below) If you don't need those effects don't use them. It's still a great deal if you were to price out the pedal with individual effects. A compressor, VT Bass DI, Bass Driver, Chorus and Tuner. 

Here's a question for you. How does the Bass driver and VT bass on the fly rig V2 compare to the stand alone pedals? Exactly the same tone? I know from using the BDDI v1 & v2 that the v2 with the added mid control sounded very different and could be down to me not finding the right mid setting the v1 would have been defaulted to. 

10 hours ago, tayste_2000 said:

I just want one without the fx section the same size as the SH1 or dug.

I love the SH1. I can get any sound I want from it. Lovely old RnB all through to modern metal.

If it had a compressor in it (and ideally a 9V battery option) it would be perfection.

6 hours ago, Jakester said:

The Octafilter on mine was definitely borked - lots of bitcrush-style noise on anything other than a light touch. TBH I loved the idea, but in practice just didn't work for me.

We've had people send in their units for repair with the same complaint and they were working correctly. The newer version does have a different taper for the controls that makes it easier to adjust that section. 

5 hours ago, sirmuppet said:

Here's a question for you. How does the Bass driver and VT bass on the fly rig V2 compare to the stand alone pedals? Exactly the same tone? I know from using the BDDI v1 & v2 that the v2 with the added mid control sounded very different and could be down to me not finding the right mid setting the v1 would have been defaulted to. 

The basic Bass Driver tone shape is there. There is no Blend control like the standalone pedal. The addition of the midrange control on the Bass Driver v2 in conjunction with the Bass and Treble works differently than the v1 version. Some settings will be identical some won't. The Bass Driver sound on the Bass Fly Rig v2 is more like the v2 Bass Driver. 

4 hours ago, Skybone said:

Looks good. Still no headphone out though.

The headphone feature for the most part has been problematic to end users and us. We have had end users send in their units for repair only to find they had the headphone button engaged when using  the unit with an amp or mixer. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...