Why become a member? ×

Big Iron amplifier options.

fretmeister

For old school it would absolutely be a Marshall 7400, I would love one of those!

The EBS 802 does exactly what it says on the tin and gets my thumbs up! TD650 used to be my favourite EBS head until this one came along!

I like the Eden WT550 for a baby iron, nice tone on that one.

Ampeg SVT 4 Pro (or get the Helix with its SVT4Pro model and a power amp)

Edited by Dood

I think you mentioned you're averse to any fan noise on another thread? If so, not sure how many "Big Iron" amps are going to be able to offer you silent running.

I get a bit of fan noise when I start up my Mesa M6 - it's something I've just come to expect on start up but then instantly lost the moment the first note is played.

16 hours ago, Dood said:

For old school it would absolutely be a Marshall 7400, I would love one of those!

The EBS 802 does exactly what it says on the tin and gets my thumbs up! TD650 used to be my favourite EBS head until this one came along!

I like the Eden WT550 for a baby iron, nice tone on that one.

Ampeg SVT 4 Pro (or get the Helix with its SVT4Pro model and a power amp)

The DBS7400? I had one of those, great amp, paired it with a Marshall VBC412 cab, was a set up capable of blowing those doors off that Michael Caine spoke about.

• Like 1

No sales pitch as I've sold mine but if you can find a HK Bassbase 600 (used prices £225 - £350), you'd have a hell of an impressive old school amp but with features that would put many modern heads to shame.  600w @ 4 ohms (but will go down to 2 ohms / 1050w), switchable channel with own EQ, Notch Filter and if you fit the module they are midi adapted.  

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

The DBS7400? I had one of those, great amp, paired it with a Marshall VBC412 cab, was a set up capable of blowing those doors off that Michael Caine spoke about.

I’m jealous Loz! Yup, the DBS7400 ☺️🥰

10 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I have one: 400 Watt continous, 4000 Watt peak! (into 2 Ohm)

Edited by Count Bassy
  • Like 1

I can't even give away older heavy iron amps anymore, the cost of shipping exceeds the value of many (especially older pro audio amps). I reluctantly sent several hundred pounds of old iron amps to the shredder/scrapper because nobody wanted to pay for the cost of shipping. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

28 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

I have one: 400 Watt continous, 4000 Watt peak! (into 2 Ohm)

It would be interesting to learn about how the peak power was measured and how long the peak was defined as... or if it was purely a theoretical number based on unloaded power rail voltages into a theoretical 2 ohm load.

Interestingly, this amp does not have ANY protective limiting present in the power amp, so a short circuit would prove devastating to the output stage and possibly the class H commutator switches. 

10 hours ago, agedhorse said:

I can't even give away older heavy iron amps anymore, the cost of shipping exceeds the value of many (especially older pro audio amps). I reluctantly sent several hundred pounds of old iron amps to the shredder/scrapper because nobody wanted to pay for the cost of shipping. 

That's quite depressing.

10 hours ago, agedhorse said:

Could you not have donated them to local musicians/rehearsal rooms?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fretmeister said:

That's quite depressing.

Inconvenient and messy as well.

I see players complaining that few if any manufacturers are building their old, lead sled products anymore. Why would they when you can buy them used all day long for pennies on the dollar (or for scrap price). This was a very eye opening exercise that resulted in hauling off a truck load of amps as scrap because it wasn't worth the cost of packaging and shipping. Watching entire amps run through the scrap shredder (similar to what's used to shred cars and industrial scrap) is sad, but at least the resources are being recycled.

Of course there are still collectible models, and amps that are still quite desirable, but the used market has adequate inventory to support the demand for years.

• Like 1

On 24/05/2021 at 01:14, agedhorse said:

It would be interesting to learn about how the peak power was measured and how long the peak was defined as... or if it was purely a theoretical number based on unloaded power rail voltages into a theoretical 2 ohm load.

Interestingly, this amp does not have ANY protective limiting present in the power amp, so a short circuit would prove devastating to the output stage and possibly the class H commutator switches. 

It would, but I have no idea. Just quoting the specs which, being old scool Marshall, are probably true-ish.

Thanks for the heads up on the output stages - I'll be extra careful not to short them. To be honest I've not used it for ages due to the weight!

1 minute ago, la bam said:

Ive seen that myself this week. I think that's the VBA all valve amp, not the DBS hybrid.

It's a weird listing, as it says it works fine, but doesnt come with valves?!

I'd be intrigued how much it would cost to re-valve, bias and set up that beastie ?

5 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

I'd be intrigued how much it would cost to re-valve, bias and set up that beastie ?

A fortune!

That's if it hasn't been damaged before. I dont know why they would remove all the valves. Seems odd.

16 hours ago, JottoSW1 said:

I cost me £300 to revalve and bias a Trace Elliot V6 in 2014 with new power amp tubs and that was with 6x6550s power amp tubes. The VBA has 8 power amp tubes and 4 pre-amp tubes.

The VBA heads are great, though impractically powerful  if you require power amp distortion