Why become a member? ×

Big Iron amplifier options.

fretmeister

I've had Class D amps since they've been available - back to the MB F1 I think.

But I'm about to sell a couple of basses and I'm thinking of an old fashioned hefty amp :D 

Obvious choice is an Ashdown ABM600 evo-4, but what else is good these days? No more than a grand though. I'll get in trouble! 

ta.

• Like 1

I'm looking to do the same thing !.....it would seem the abm 600 is all things to all men (or woman)...all the features and power a bassist would need, not too heavy and with plenty of street cred, oh, and doesn't look silly on a larger cabinet....I too will be interested in what folks say. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ebenezer said:

I'm looking to do the same thing !.....it would seem the abm 600 is all things to all men (or woman)...all the features and power a bassist would need, not too heavy and with plenty of street cred, oh, and doesn't look silly on a larger cabinet....I too will be interested in what folks say. 

I had an Ashdown MAG400H about 20 years ago when the MAG were still built in the UK and it was very good. I used it with a Marshall VBC412. 

These days it would go with a Barefaced Supertwin. 

I tend to like a beefy clean sound maybe with a tiny tiny bit of grit to enhance harmonic content rather than any actual amp drive.

I think if i was younger, fitter and money no object, i would get an Aguilar db 751....tried one in guitarguitar and it was superb, for now the little mark 2 will have to do.....just for info, can is a genz benz neox 212  

I went through this exercise recently and added the ABM600 to my gear and it’s a superb amp 

It’s a hard amp to beat as a good does what you need head. 
Plus the service Ashdown provide to new or second hand amps is superb and often with little or no charge. 

It looks the part too on top of any cab 

Just to parrot other posters in this thread, ABM600. I have the foot controller as well and I really can't fault it. 

I used to be an 'all-valve only and nothing else will do' type person but the Ashdown really changed my mind. 

Same opinion here, ABM600, fantastic amps, powerful, versatile, not too heavy and that great customer service from a UK based company (not that I’m pro UK companies but it does make it a lot easier to take it there).

As an Ashdown fan, and I've had loads - abm2, mag, superfly, lg1000, rm500 and x2 abm600, I'd recommend a Gallien Krueger Fusion 550.

Dont get this mixed up with the fusion series or the mb range. The 550 (not 500) is the valve / solid state hybrid.

Weighs similar to the abm600 but for me it's much louder, much punchier and much warmer.

It also has 2 channels, a big valve preamp and a superb sound, as well as memory for saving your settings.

It sound very valve like and has an instantaneous response.

Sits in the mix really well and is just right for me.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, la bam said:

As an Ashdown fan, and I've had loads - abm2, mag, superfly, lg1000, rm500 and x2 abm600, I'd recommend a Gallien Krueger Fusion 550.

Dont get this mixed up with the fusion series or the mb range. The 550 (not 500) is the valve / solid state hybrid.

Weighs similar to the abm600 but for me it's much louder, much punchier and much warmer.

It also has 2 channels, a big valve preamp and a superb sound, as well as memory for saving your settings.

It sound very valve like and has an instantaneous response.

Sits in the mix really well and is just right for me.

I really want to try a Fusion 550. One for my lottery-win purchasing :)

Bass Direct have a Mesa Big Block 750 with the matching headcase for a grand. I bought one a while ago and it is my favourite amp bar none. Very much a 'rock' amp though and the EQ is fairly basic compared to modern offerings but it does big 'rock' tones with a bit of grit with ease. Also, the matching headcase is brilliant but adds significantly to the weight. 

The Mesa M6 and M9 amps have a much more flexible EQ but they are too 'clean' for my tastes. I prefer the feel of the M-Pulse line of Big Block and Walkabout amps.

Ashdown ABM stuff is great. 

Hartke LH500/1000 is great for the price and great if your core tone comes from an external preamp or pedal. 

EBS HD350/TD650/Fafner are great amps too if you can find them used. I'm a big fan of the Fafner Mk I (apart from the damn cosmetic lightbulb which constantly blows).

Gallien Kreuger RB heads are great too. 

You could also pick up an old Trace Elliot SMX head for about £300 as well.

There is actually not that many 'new' Mosfet/hybrid heads on the market since class D has taken over. Also, despite owning several 'Big Iron' amps, I have no doubts that the modern top of the range class D amps will deliver pretty much everything I would be looking for in a new amp. 

12 minutes ago, thodrik said:

Bass Direct have a Mesa Big Block 750 with the matching headcase for a grand. I bought one a while ago and it is my favourite amp bar none. Very much a 'rock' amp though and the EQ is fairly basic compared to modern offerings but it does big 'rock' tones with a bit of grit with ease. Also, the matching headcase is brilliant but adds significantly to the weight. 

The Mesa M6 and M9 amps have a much more flexible EQ but they are too 'clean' for my tastes. I prefer the feel of the M-Pulse line of Big Block and Walkabout amps...

+1^^ for old school Mesa.

Only small "disagreement" is that for me the Mesa M6 is fantastic: I've not come across anything better yet; but clearly my cleanliness doesn't match up to thodriks...😁

8 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

It does appeal I have to say.

Do you find the EQ a bit limiting?

If Handbox did an R-600 or R-750 I'd get one tomorrow as I typically play without PA support. So my hesitation is 8 ohm cab = limited to around 200W with the R-400.

Wat can't you put in a word? 😉

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

+1^^ for old school Mesa.

Only small "disagreement" is that for me the Mesa M6 is fantastic: I've not come across anything better yet; but clearly my cleanliness doesn't match up to thodriks...😁

If I could provide a comparison, playing with an M6 was like driving a high powered sports car on a motorway, playing the Big Block is like driving a JCB digger through a muddy field. Both highly entertaining activities. 

• Haha 2