Why become a member? ×

Rotary switch for series/parallel/single-coil?

mcnach

I have this 5-string Harley Benton Stingray style bass which is passive, with 3 controls wired Volume Volume Tone, like a Jazz bass.

I'm not a fan of the VVT controls in general, and in this case I find I only use both coils full, or only the neck-facing coil which adds a subtle but nice variation.

I'm thinking about rewiring it with a single volume and single tone control, and substitute the last potentiometer with a switch for series/parallel/single-coil(neck facing one). I'd like to keep the same appearance by using a rotary switch... trouble is I have no idea what to look for. There are a lot of switches out there.

Has anybody done this or otherwise know what would be a suitable switch to use? :)

• Like 1

Its quite an easy mod. rotary switches are generally organised in poles and throws, and generally they have up to 12 positions. If you only want 3, that means you can get a 4 pole switch (sometimes in the guitar world called a channel) that will give you more than enough for this. The main issue is getting one with the same shaft dimensions as your pots (presumably the serated type)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Something like this would probably suffice, they might look cheap but I've used them in a number of applications and they've always done the job. 
https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_139&products_id=923

Yes, that is the right electrical type, but the shaft is a 'solid with a flat bit taken out', which is common on electronics, and uncommon on guitars / basses. Sometimes important to look at that if you want the same knobs

I would also only have a make before break in a guitar wiring application if I had a choice, to avoid massive pop noises. It doesn't matter if you short two coils together or one to ground, as long as you don't disconnect and reconnect. However, I suspect you have little choice in options

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, phil.c60 said:

Something like one of these, perhaps......

https://docs.rs-online.com/7ac3/0900766b80ff6d55.pdf

Again, for the switching but only if you have those types of shafts which is unlikely on a bass.

I mean like this (although I would prefer metal)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pole-Way-Black-Rotary-Switch/dp/B00YEU7X8O

Like this if the shaft is long enough

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294024238706

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, but I've had all types of knobs on all types of basses.

My American P-Bass has push-on knobs, but my old Squier P-Bass special had chrome knurled knobs with grub screws. Round holes in the knobs not D shaped, so they fit on round shafts or shafts with flats. A change of knob would not be out of the way , if it gets you where you want to be.....

Edited by phil.c60
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rich said:

That's make-before-break.

It is indeed, and that as I mentioned is what I would get every time on a passive system to prevent loud thumps. You will note that default pickup selector switches for guitars (such as the gibson 2 way switch, the strat 3/5 way switch) are *always* make before break

Edited by Woodinblack

@KiOgon did me exactly what you're after, a rotary switch that goes through single coil, dual coil, series and parallel and a standard chrome knob fitting.

My bitsa Stingray has a three knob plate with volume, tone and the rotary knob, it just looks like three chrome knobs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you thank you thank you all for all the various bits of information :hi:

The shaft issue, as long as they're not too long, is ok, I can always find suitable knobs for them... in fact I probably have a bunch of every kind in my box of parts.

16 hours ago, ead said:

My fav is the Dingwall one.  I have it on an ACG J bass and I get 4 options:  Bridge only; both parallel; both series; neck only.

On 19/05/2021 at 14:36, Crawford13 said:

Dingwall make one, I had 2 of them in one of my Alphers. 

Yup that would be my choice too.