Why become a member? ×

Distribution of power

lownote

If I daisy chain two cabs of different specs in terms of numbers of drivers and power but the same ohm-age, how does the head distribute the power between to the two cabs?  For example, say I couple a Phil Jones C8 (8x5") 800w 8 ohms with a Cab 47 (4x7") 300w 8 ohms. Does one cab get more power than t'other? 

6 hours ago, lownote12 said:

ohm-age

Impedance

It's called Impedance instead of Resistance, because it changes due to frequency changes.

Two 8-Ohm cabinets will receive a roughly equal amount of Power from the amp, but how they each respond to that Power will be different.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Two 8-Ohm cabinets will receive a roughly equal amount of Power from the amp, but how they each respond to that Power will be different.

Good point - if the sensitivity is wildly different between them, the apparent sound volume out of them will also be different.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

It's called Impedance instead of Resistance, because it changes due to frequency changes.

It's called impedance because ohmage is what you pay to Clapton. 😊

Besides which, impedance and resistance aren't the only things measured in ohms. There's also capacitive and inductive reactance. You'll never see a proper engineering document that doesn't say which of those four is being referred to with respect to a value in ohms.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

You'll never see a proper engineering document

You're probably correct.

Although, I did see many Engineering documents when I was heading up a Document Control center on a refinery construction project, but those were mostly about Piping & Tanks.

Usually you'll see R and Z listed in ohms, with R referring to DC resistance and Z impedance. C for capacitance is measured in microfarads, uF, Le for inductance is measured in millihenries, mH. You seldom see capacitive reactance, Xc, or inductive reactance, Xl, both measured in ohms, other than in a spec sheet for a given capacitor or inductor. You do see the result of Xc and Xl in Z, as impedance is the sum of R, Xc and Xl.  R is a constant value irrespective of frequency, but both Xc and Xl vary with frequency, and along with them Z.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Although, I did see many Engineering documents when I was heading up a Document Control center on a refinery construction project, but those were mostly about Piping & Tanks.

Oooh now you’re getting into fun stuff. Material grades and specs, pipe schedules, NDT specs and standards, welding requirements etc etc 🤓

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Impedance

Which can, in turn, be illustrated by a graph, which shows the Modulus of Impedance; the way in which Impedance varies by frequency.

*Please note I have no affiliation with Modulus, nor am I on their payroll etc. etc.

** Other manufacturers of graphite necks are available.

😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I just find it irrationally annoying to me when folks add a decimal point & then use a smaller unit of measure. It's like commenting that you had 3,000 milligrams of Sodium. NO, you had 3 Grams!

What about the otherway round though.

0.005 Metres instead of 5mm?

1 hour ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I just find it irrationally annoying to me when folks add a decimal point & then use a smaller unit of measure. It's like commenting that you had 3,000 milligrams of Sodium. NO, you had 3 Grams!

That goes to marketing. Selling a bottle of 1000 mg pills makes it sound like you're getting something much better than a bottle of 1g pills.