Why become a member? ×

Short scale to cure my ills?

Short scale to cure my ills?   

23 members have voted

1. 1. So after returning to the bass after a number of years away, I've been getting arm and wrist pain in my fretting arm every so often. Mostly after focusing on the lower frets. I'm wondering if a short scale might alleviate this, or if I need to do some work to revise my technique and warm up regime?

• Buy a short scale of course!
    • Warm up properly, don't be so lazy!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all the replies above. 

After persevering and trying different warm up approaches I'm not having any real pain any more. I assume my hands are getting used to the bass again. 

Anyway, I still managed to get a quick trip to merchant City Music this week. I had a play on a Reverend sentinel and it totally clicked. The size, weight and balance felt right (after a couple of minutes) and the sounds were great. The fundamentals were massive and the voicing switch gives enough play for a range of tones. 

I tried a Mercalli too which after the sentinel felt clear as a bell but lacked the bottom end weight. It had a great stingray like definition as well as a precision type tone. The Dub king kind of sat in between them sonically but felt pretty uncomfortable.

I'm wondering if the short scale stingray will be a good blend of the sentinel and Mercalli sound with a short scale feel? Any experience? 

Anyway, I'm off to prepare adverts to sell everything I can so I can afford the sentinel before it sells out!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 19/05/2021 at 14:43, Bix said:

I've bought and sold a Mustang PJ and a Performer Mustang, and bought and kept a JMJ Mustang. The JMJ is a little too reliced, but is a superb bass .. fit and finish, playability and tone are great.

I'll be trying out a G&L fallout on Friday, so keen to see how that plays out.

I'd love to try a Wilcock shortscale, but haven't had the chance yet.

Bit of a thread revival.

Did you tryout the Fallout? If so, how did it compare to the JMJ?

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

Bit of a thread revival.

Did you tryout the Fallout? If so, how did it compare to the JMJ?

It was very nice. Well finished, the pickup sounded great and it was a lot of fun to play. But it was heavier than the jazz I was also trying out. Still love my JMJ 😀

• Thanks 1