Why become a member? ×

What’s wrong with this picture?

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

BBD1AE49-F43D-44A5-A14B-F4E0E031DBB6.thumb.jpeg.1a6cd0416f7f8af5cb5ca0e4f7ec6a59.jpeg

It won’t take the eagle eyed among you to spot that there’s something odd about the proportions of the headstock. This is a Jazz copy that I picked up at the weekend. This is how the headstock looked when I picked it up

35DCA8E1-89F4-4AFC-8367-075D7A5C3B67.jpeg.f8f74c787998ce362c5053a547ab2760.jpeg

A previous owner had already butchered it in an attempt to disguise it’s true identity. The top photo is my attempt at trying to recreate the classic Fender headstock shape with whatever rudimentary hand tools I had at my disposal. Unfortunately there wasn’t enough material left to make the nose as big as it should. 
I’d love to know what it started life as. The body seems to be solid Ash, three tone sunburst. Wilkinson pickups were fitted by the previous owned as was the decision to remove the pickguard

Guest MoJo
15 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

Could have been a Harley Benton, judging from the Sam Eagle look to the top curve.

The bridge screw configuration, brass saddles and Wilkinson pickups all point to it being a Harley Benton JB-75sw, in which case, at £140, I’ve been had. I bet it wasn’t that much new

Guest MoJo
33 minutes ago, Lord Sausage said:

There's a bigger gap between two of the floor boards than the others!

Am I right?

Well spotted. That gap keeps opening up and I have to close it up again, on a regular basis

Guest MoJo
20 hours ago, Bolo said:

The second headstock looks nicer to my eyes, but I'm not a fender fan in general.

Having discovered that it’s a Harley Benton, I wish I’d left it alone