Why become a member? ×

EUB advice needed please!

chrisd783

Hi Guys

I'm toying with the idea of picking up an EUB. I've had an acoustic 3/4 double bass for around 2 years and I love playing it, but lately I've been thinking of looking into an EUB. I've never played one, so I'm very much a newbie and thought I'd ask this awseome community for a little advice! 

My band have recently moved into the wedding market, and as such we are offering an acoustic afternoon set in addition to the main evening show. Transport and portability of my existing bass are obviously issues. I also feel that it'll be easier to control the sound of an electric instrument, hence my interest in a EUB. 

I'm planning on running it through my Line 6 Helix then directly into the PA.

So my questions are, what models should I focus on? What models should I avoid? Are there any other considerations I haven't included here? Any other advice/words of wisdom?

And lastly, if you have one you're looking to shift, drop me an inbox! :) 

Thanks in advance for any and all help! 

16 minutes ago, chrisd783 said:

Transport and portability of my existing bass are obviously issues.

You say "obviously" - but from what you've said, no, it's not obvious what the issues are.  What are they?

Transporting and controlling the sound are perhaps not the easiest tasks - but not showstoppers either.

Edited by jrixn1

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/05/2021 at 16:05, chrisd783 said:

Hi Guys

I'm toying with the idea of picking up an EUB. I've had an acoustic 3/4 double bass for around 2 years and I love playing it, but lately I've been thinking of looking into an EUB. I've never played one, so I'm very much a newbie and thought I'd ask this awseome community for a little advice! 

My band have recently moved into the wedding market, and as such we are offering an acoustic afternoon set in addition to the main evening show. Transport and portability of my existing bass are obviously issues. I also feel that it'll be easier to control the sound of an electric instrument, hence my interest in a EUB. 

I'm planning on running it through my Line 6 Helix then directly into the PA.

So my questions are, what models should I focus on? What models should I avoid? Are there any other considerations I haven't included here? Any other advice/words of wisdom?

And lastly, if you have one you're looking to shift, drop me an inbox! :) 

Thanks in advance for any and all help! 

Hi Chris 

I play in a jazz quintet and play an EUB. It’s great, in my and the rest of the bands opinions. Previously I played a bass guitar but they prefer this. 

If you have any questions please fire away. 

cheers 

Jimmy 

I went from EB to a Stagg EUB and then upgraded to a Yamaha SLB200. At most gigs I use my DB but for rehearsals and gigs with very tight quarters I use the Yamaha and it does the job well. I play jazz standards in a quartet and septet and the bands like the EUB and although it doesn't sound exactly like a DB the audience doesn't hear much difference and I get a lot of "what is that thing?" questions. I use a Stagg stand to hold it between sets, secure and easy to use. 

It is certainly easier to transport than my DB and in most cases I run it direct into our Bose PA and can EQ with the SLB's built in preamp and the Bose. Works for me. 

FWIW, I started learning "proper" upright technique on a Warwick Triumph (the cheaper Rockbass version) and found that it was extremely easy to transition to an acoustic after. It's an Eb neck, but so is my acoustic.
I had it modified by a luthier with DB tuners instead of the BG ones it came with, so I could put DB strings on it.
When it's packed up in its gig bag it's not much more bulky than a bass guitar. If you are over 6' tall you might find the end pin too short, but I solved this by slipping a length of copper pipe over it and putting a walking stick rubber ferrule on the end.

Everyone has their likes and preferences.  Ii walked into my local PMT one day and they had an Ibanez EUB840 plugged in for demonstration.  I spent no more than five minutes playing this and knew I had to get one, previously I’d been perfectly happy with my Rickenbacker Bass with Thomastik flats.

The Ibanez has its own stand and with the aero silk piezo pickups sounds pretty authentic to my colleagues’ ears.  It can be played arco if you want  as well.   Also, and most importantly for me, it’s not expensive.

The Rick rarely gets played now. 

• Like 1

This seems to be the endless circle for semi pro ( and possibly some pro) players ................. how to achieve acoustic bass tonality at reasonable volume, particularly if you have to generate your own amplified sound via your backline as opposed to DI ing straight into a large and quality pa system.

My lovely acoustic bass is resting up now and I'm itching to gig the Yamaha SLB300 to see if live tone nirvana is closer than ever before. From the playing feel there is no significant difference between both - perhaps slightly less tension on the yamaha ( which may well be just a string thing) and action can be adjusted lower as acoustic volume is not at issue. You are definitely playing a double bass, not a hybrid.

Going through an acoustic image amp and speakers and the sound quality at home practice volumes seems more acoustic bass then fretless bass. The acid test is to come as soon as we are allowed out to play !

Of course the rest of the band will almost inevitably prefer the appearance of an acoustic bass on stage, little appreciating the horror show of volume verses feedback verses tonality let alone the joy of transporting your precious acoustic around tight, awkward spaces and being allocated enough room on stage to leave it unattended in safety!

I always smile when I see Mr Swift on stage with the Jools Band - fielding yet another gorgeous bass instrument from what must be an enormous collection of electrics, EUB's, fretless electrics and acoustics. Said player may be an addict collector or still searching for that one bass which will be IT. I suspect the later but I'm probably somewhat jealous as well.

Let the search continue and "bonne chance"

I'm relatively new to EUB, but I went for the NS Wav5. It's only a piezo pickup so output is pretty low if I record straight into my interface, but through the Helix it's fine, and straight into my Markbass Combo, with the instrument's tone rolled off it sounds great.

3 Sigma sell IRs based on some acoustic basses, there are samples of each on the website. I bought the 'Berlinner' one (an 1894 Lowendall IIRC), and it sounds really good my ears.

I recently picked up a new Ibanez UB804. I've played bass guitar since 1963 and double bass since 1990. The 34" scale of the UB804 is no problem, I can switch between the 34" and the 41" scales no problem. A set of LaBella black tapewounds and a Nordstrand Ninomute give a nice thump for salsa, blues, country etc, and removing the mute gives a nice jazz tone. I find the Chromes that this bass comes with are a bit too snarly for my liking. The stand is brilliant and the whole thing is so well made it makes a Stagg look clunky. I have previously had a Stagg (never again) and an Eminence (didn't like it much). I play through a Genzler Magellan head and two Barefaced One10 cabs. The UB804 is a definite keeper.

• Like 2

I've an NS CR5 that I purchased on here a while ago. I went straight to EUB from BG, but have endeavored to adopt the correct RH technique. 

Pros- Transportability, "grunt"- the 18v HAZ preamp has plenty of headroom, and the EQ points are nicely set. The Tripod stand is a boon, the bass stands up on its own when you walk away! Lack of feedback in loud environments it a huge bonus. A fifth string; That low B can be huge, if you want it to be.

Cons- Uh... it doesn't sound quite like a DB. More like a giant fretless, even if you're using the appropriate DB technique and some sort of EQ. I attribute part of that to the fact that it's strung with the D'Addario modern strings. Maybe a less contemporary set of strings would be better,  but a restring is mighty expensive. 

• 2 weeks later...

An EUB definitely has its benefits for a bassist travelling to gigs.

I am currently using a Yamaha SLB-200, and I highly recommend it. The design and its shape make it less difficult to transition to an EUB. Plus, it sounds great, both arco and pizz.

I previously had an Eminence. That sounded great too. However, after using the SLB-200, I never looked back.

Just to add, I am currently GASing for an Alter Ego. Should I have enough funds, this will probably be my next EUB.

I forgot to say when talking about my Ibanez EUB804 that I am left handed and have changed the strings round.  Each string has it’s own bridge which makes this possible and,  without cutting a wider slot at the neck.  I have needed to provide 2 longer screws at the bridge to move the E string higher to suit my style but that it.  All works fine.

I’m a happy bunny. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Can I add some questions. Having played BG for more years than I can remember, my wife and I were enjoying a jazz trio where the bass player was using the Yamaha SLB and she said “why don’t you get one of those?” She’s never suggested buying an instrument before so I think I’ll take her at her word.

I have a small car so size is a concern. The Yamaha and the BSX breakdown but I imagine that reassembling at a gig can be a bit of a bore so I am also looking at the NS and Ibanez versions, but how do others find the very small body? The “wings” on the Yamaha seem a necessary part to stabilise the bass.

I’ve also seen an Aria SWB lite at a decent price but does any one have any views, I’m not sure it will be small enough to get it in my car either.

What would BCers suggest  / advise?

30 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

Stability for small bodied upright? Tripod stand. Stays up on its own when you walk away!

Fitting in small car?

If it's just you,  take the front passenger seat headrest out, slide the seat all the way forward and recline the back of the seat as far as it'll go. Drop the split in the rear seat.

I could get 8' (2400mm) decking boards in my Fiesta like that. 

The NS did fit in my (original) Ford Puma also- in its flight case.

Actually the Yamaha is very easy to put together or take apart, I can do it in a minute or less, it's well designed and very simple. I put a small hose clamp on the endpin as a stopper so when I assemble it there is no guessing, it is always at the same height. I like the "wings", they make it very easy to hold in the proper position and it feels the same as my Czech DB so it is easy to play either instrument.

On 17/09/2021 at 16:52, Grahambythesea said:

Can I add some questions. Having played BG for more years than I can remember, my wife and I were enjoying a jazz trio where the bass player was using the Yamaha SLB and she said “why don’t you get one of those?” She’s never suggested buying an instrument before so I think I’ll take her at her word.

I have a small car so size is a concern. The Yamaha and the BSX breakdown but I imagine that reassembling at a gig can be a bit of a bore so I am also looking at the NS and Ibanez versions, but how do others find the very small body? The “wings” on the Yamaha seem a necessary part to stabilise the bass.

I’ve also seen an Aria SWB lite at a decent price but does any one have any views, I’m not sure it will be small enough to get it in my car either.

I changed from playing  BG to my Ibanez EUB840 with absolutely no regrets.  The carry case supplied holds the neck and the stand in two separate compartments and the max length is 130cm (51+“) and at the widest 28cm (11”) which makes the EUB very easy to put up and take down.  The stand is a Tamara drum stand so it’s freestanding and very stable and with a scale length of 34” it’s ideal for an ex BG player.  Easy to transport, easy to play, sounds amazing (according to the rest of the jazz band) why pay more, I’d recommend them to anyone.  All the dimensions and info is on the website here https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/ub804_01.html

13 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

This is BassChat.

"You can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave" 

(As The Eagles once sang) 😉

Your dead right. I keep trying to sell my Rickenbacker bass but really I don’t want to, although I never play it these days. It just feels so amazing in my hands. How sad is that?