Why become a member? ×

Advice on Changing Squire Bronco Machine Heads

Obrienp

Sorry folks, I know there are plenty of Bronco mod threads but I searched for this particular question and didn’t find it. Please point me to it, if it has been answered.

Like many I want to change the machine heads on my Squier Bronco without spending too much, as this a cheap temporary bass while I wait for a luthier built custom. I like the look of the Wilkinson WJB750 lightweight tuners (look like Hipshot). From what I have read elsewhere, the standard Bronco tuner hole is 12mm and the.Wilkinsons require 14mm. This is easily accomplished with a hand reamer, or step drill bit but this is going to push the machine head slightly to the right. The string pull isn’t straight to start with, especially on the low E. is this going to cause problems? A couple of issues I envisage are: the nut getting pulled across the neck if not properly glued in place; the off centre string pull causes the strings to bind in the nut slots leading to tuning instability.

What are peoples’ experiences with changing the machine heads to those with larger posts? Should I try to enlarge the holes towards the left, so that I don’t change the right hand edge of the tuner post (as you look at the headstock of my right handed bass). This won’t be as easy to do as reaming out the hole evenly.

Incidentally,  other mods I am going to do are: change the strat pickup for a Tonerider Precision Plus (and the pots, etc) and put on a bridge with individual string saddles. I will be sticking to 18mm spacing and I have ordered something cheap and cheerful (I hope) from China. I am thinking I can move the coils of the precision pup to align with the string spacing. If you have done this I would love to hear how it went.

Edited by Obrienp

Years ago I fit full size tuners to a Bronco (17mm holes if memory serves).  Pretty sure I reamed the holes out centrally.  You'll have no bother fitting ones with a 14mm bore then :) I used a drill press though - much easier if you can get access to one.

The only one with an awkward string pull was the E.  I didn't suffer any ill effects as a result.

I did the bridge mod as well, but the bridge I got was designed for string through body - I had to drill holes in the back edge of the bridge plate to accept the strings top loaded.  Eventually I did the through body stringing as well, but I just wanted to get it going.  So watch out for that.

I replaced the pickup with a lipstick Strat pickup (hottest/bridge one) so there was no modification, and it's a rail inside so no worries on pole pieces.  Some people like to use a Hot Rails or Cool Rails Strat pickup.

02_tuners_front.jpg

03_tuners_back.jpg

lippy2.jpg

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

If you can find a set, the closed back tuners on full size P or J squiers are pretty much a drop in replacements. They're more sturdy than the original bronco one's, and will allow you to put on heavier guage strings. I did this to one bronco I owed, and fitted fender flats. Sounded fantastic, even with the stock pickup.

• Like 2

Thanks Neepheid. That is reassuring. I’ve got a set of regular vintage style machines. I thought they were going to be too big at 18mm and with big clover leaf buttons but they look fine on your headstock. I might save myself the cost of the Wilkinsons. 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hooky_lowdown said:

If you can find a set, the closed back tuners on full size P or J squiers are pretty much a drop in replacements. They're more sturdy than the original bronco one's, and will allow you to put on heavier guage strings. I did this to one bronco I owed, and fitted fender flats. Sounded fantastic, even with the stock pickup.

Thanks I’ll keep a lookout on fleaBay.

Hi Folks,

it pays not to be hasty: I ordered a set of the Wilkinson tuners only to see I had been messaged with an offer of some unused, surplus ones! Rats!

Then I discovered this: https://www.wdmusic.co.uk/hardware-parts-c1/tuning-machines-c28/bass-tuners-c33/wd-music-enclosed-4-in-line-bass-tuners-chrome-p4987 at WD, which look pretty much the same as the stock tuners but with proper metal buttons. Anyway now you know folks. They look as though they will drop in without any need to ream out the holes but might be a little more robust.

• Like 1

On 17/05/2021 at 20:19, Obrienp said:

Hi Folks,

it pays not to be hasty: I ordered a set of the Wilkinson tuners only to see I had been messaged with an offer of some unused, surplus ones! Rats!

Then I discovered this: https://www.wdmusic.co.uk/hardware-parts-c1/tuning-machines-c28/bass-tuners-c33/wd-music-enclosed-4-in-line-bass-tuners-chrome-p4987 at WD, which look pretty much the same as the stock tuners but with proper metal buttons. Anyway now you know folks. They look as though they will drop in without any need to ream out the holes but might be a little more robust.

They are the same as the Bronco's original tuners, but with a better shaft and button. Certainly look better, but I'd still do the mod, personally.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, Buri said:

Hi, 

Did you had to drill new holes in the back of the headstock for the screws or even the screw holes are the same? 

Thanks! 

Is that a general question to all?  If so, yes, when I did it I drilled new pilot holes with a dremel and an appropriately sized bit for the screws when they were in different places.  Generally I was too lazy to fill the old ones - I would have done if I was doing the job for someone else.

18 minutes ago, Buri said:

Hi, 

Did you had to drill new holes in the back of the headstock for the screws or even the screw holes are the same? 

Thanks! 

Yes, I had to make new holes for the Wilkinsons. I filled the old holes with toothpick ends glued in with wood glue. I also had to enlarge the post holes as the Wilkinsons required a larger bore.

23 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

Yes, I had to make new holes for the Wilkinsons. I filled the old holes with toothpick ends glued in with wood glue. I also had to enlarge the post holes as the Wilkinsons required a larger bore.

Thanks, I thought you went with tge WD ones eventually, i was wondering about them since I don't want to drill new holes 

2 hours ago, Buri said:

Thanks, I thought you went with tge WD ones eventually, i was wondering about them since I don't want to drill new holes 

No worries. 

Unfortunately, I only spotted the WD Music machine heads after I had pulled the trigger on the Wilkinsons. I can’t comment on whether they are better, or worse than the OEMs. They look as though they are a direct swap though.