Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Crowther Audio Prunes and Custard - SOLD
£135
Derbyshire

Volume

A reluctant sale - but I'm offering my Prunes & Custard for sale... 

The Crowther Audio Prunes & Custard is a two-stage fuzz and wave-shaping distortion circuit. First there's the a preamp stage, the gain of which is adjusted with the Drive control. The preamp stage is followed by a special waveshaping distortion circuit. Together they give you what Crowther Audio like to call a 'harmonic generator-intermodulator'.

Essentially higher harmonics are progressively introduced with increased Drive settings and signal level, so a decaying bass guitar note can sound like a filter sweep. Chuck some double stops or power chords it's way and this pedal starts to get really interesting! Some strong intermodulation effects, rather like those out of a ring modulator, start coming out. But in a more musical and distorted way!

Controls;
- Level: controls the overall output volume
- Mix: acts as a balance between the preamp output and the distortion stage output. 
- Drive: adjusts the gain of the preamp stage from unity to around 100x (0 to 40 db). Of course with sufficient input/drive, the preamp stage can be overdriven.
- LF Retain: takes some low frequency from the preamp.

A much sought-after and highly unique pedal. Run this with octaver pedal, and you're in synth heaven. There's a little wear on the graphics, and there's a couple of strups of velcro on the rear, otherwise it's in great shape, works flawlessly, and can be posted (tracked) within the UK for £5

image0.jpeg

Edited by Volume
Pedal has now sold - thread title updated to reflect this
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Volume said:

A reluctant sale - but I'm offering my Prunes & Custard for sale... 

The Crowther Audio Prunes & Custard is a two-stage fuzz and wave-shaping distortion circuit. First there's the a preamp stage, the gain of which is adjusted with the Drive control. The preamp stage is followed by a special waveshaping distortion circuit. Together they give you what Crowther Audio like to call a 'harmonic generator-intermodulator'.

Essentially higher harmonics are progressively introduced with increased Drive settings and signal level, so a decaying bass guitar note can sound like a filter sweep. Chuck some double stops or power chords it's way and this pedal starts to get really interesting! Some strong intermodulation effects, rather like those out of a ring modulator, start coming out. But in a more musical and distorted way!

Controls;
- Level: controls the overall output volume
- Mix: acts as a balance between the preamp output and the distortion stage output. 
- Drive: adjusts the gain of the preamp stage from unity to around 100x (0 to 40 db). Of course with sufficient input/drive, the preamp stage can be overdriven.
- LF Retain: takes some low frequency from the preamp.

A much sought-after and highly unique pedal. Run this with octaver pedal, and you're in synth heaven. There's a little wear on the graphics, and there's a couple of strups of velcro on the rear, otherwise it's in great shape, works flawlessly, and can be posted (tracked) within the UK for £5

image0.jpeg

My Old pedal! Loved it to bits, unfortunately not in a financial position to get this back.

• Like 2

Bought and sold one of these. Regretted it and bought one again as soon as I was able. Great pedal and not much else out there like it. Add and octave and filter and you’re golden! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

What means this?

It is touch sensitive to how hard you dig in but not to the point of staying unaffected if that's what you mean.

Gated means there’s a threshold below which the input signal won’t trigger any audio output. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quatschmacher said:

Gated means there’s a threshold below which the input signal won’t trigger any audio output. 

Yeah I know what gated means normally. But in the context of an effect pedal normally if a pedal is making noise with no input then it's broken and if it doesn't make any noise with input it's also broken!

I guess a wild modulation effect could use cutting off when you mute the string so it doesn't carry on all by itself = 'gated' ??

Just now, Downunderwonder said:

Yeah I know what gated means normally. But in the context of an effect pedal normally if a pedal is making noise with no input then it's broken and if it doesn't make any noise with input it's also broken!

I guess a wild modulation effect could use cutting off when you mute the string so it doesn't carry on all by itself = 'gated' ??

There are plenty of gated fuzz pedals out there. I love them for synth-type stuff as they give a clean note-off, similar to a keyboard when you release the key. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

There are plenty of gated fuzz pedals out there. I love them for synth-type stuff as they give a clean note-off, similar to a keyboard when you release the key. 

'Gated output' then.

P&C is kinda it's own animal. A little cute fuzzy, a little unpredictable weird goodness, a little angry if you prod it.

It doesn't ring on when you mute the note.

It's real party trick is when it is on in front of an envelope filter. Weehah!!!

I've got one and it's one of my favourites. This P&E demo with JMJ is fun. Low on tech content and high on "whoa dude cool" but there we go. Probably doesn't answer the gated question either

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

I’m definitely tempted. 

If I didn’t have one already, I would be. It’s an awesome pedal to have in your arsenal. Especially for the synthy style textures, which should be right up your street! 😂

• Like 3