Why become a member? ×

Headphone amp alternative to Amplug

So I have destroyed yet another Amplug, I was practicing and stood up and the Amplug brushed against something (can't even remember what now) and the plastic surrounding the jack ripped clean off, tried to super glue it back together but it wasn't happening.

So with that in mind I am after a replacement , I want to stick with a headphone amp, I know there are multi FX that you can use for this purpose but for reasons of portability and cost I want to stick with a headphone amp, is there anything similar to Amplug that is not liable to fall apart if you look at it the wrong way ? Thanks

IMG_20210515_193542656.jpg

5 hours ago, lonestar said:

I’ve got through a couple of Amplugs too. I’ve just resoldered the headphone socket on mine, so now I just use this plugged into my Mac, which I originally bought for about 30 quid for recording.

C07BB9CA-BD7A-4DED-B975-A7DE0914B249.jpeg

Thanks, can it be used without a Mac or PC?

14 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

Yes it’s a Behringer USB interface so should work with both.

It also means that when using as a practice headphone device you get the pure sound of your bass while playing along to tracks on your pc if required. Which is nice.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UMC22-Computer-Audio-Interface/dp/B00FFIGZF6/ref=asc_df_B00FFIGZF6/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310822982624&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11334457621489608738&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007041&hvtargid=pla-406164524073&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

they do a slightly cheaper one but for the sake of a few quid this one is much better.

1 hour ago, shoulderpet said:

If you mean can you use it without any sort of computer at all: I have the similar UMC204HD, and yes it runs standalone off a USB mains plug.

• 1 month later...

In a different price category but the best standalone headphone amp of all time for bass is the Phil Jones BigHead. If you don’t want to pay full retail price, they do pop up once in a blue moon on the used market for around £100-ish.

Edited by CameronJ

The vox amplug is designed by the mission impossible team. 

I believe the self destruct mechanism is actually the best designed part of it. 

In contrast this clumsy looking lump is half the price and I've had it for very many years. Screenshot_20210702_090017.thumb.jpg.72983b2df206969682860a3bd241aa7d.jpg

It has aux in, doesn't have a load of effects, is bulky runs off batteries, looks ugly and never ever breaks. 

My Amplug lasted a week, I tripped on the headphone cable and it literally disintegrated. 

• Thanks 1

On 16/05/2021 at 13:32, lonestar said:

Yes it’s a Behringer USB interface so should work with both.

It also means that when using as a practice headphone device you get the pure sound of your bass while playing along to tracks on your pc if required. Which is nice.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UMC22-Computer-Audio-Interface/dp/B00FFIGZF6/ref=asc_df_B00FFIGZF6/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310822982624&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11334457621489608738&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007041&hvtargid=pla-406164524073&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

they do a slightly cheaper one but for the sake of a few quid this one is much better.

I've got the cheaper one prefer the fact that the volume controls are on on the top, personal preference I guess.

Slightly off topic but I recently replaced my headphones from Sennheiser HD280 pro's (not cheap) to audio-technica WS1100's, the difference in quality of the bass is amazing and for playing bass through they are truly astonishing, not cheap (I paid £190) and hard to come by but IMO well worth it

• 5 weeks later...
On 02/07/2021 at 09:03, stewblack said:

The vox amplug is designed by the mission impossible team. 

I believe the self destruct mechanism is actually the best designed part of it. 

In contrast this clumsy looking lump is half the price and I've had it for very many years. Screenshot_20210702_090017.thumb.jpg.72983b2df206969682860a3bd241aa7d.jpg

It has aux in, doesn't have a load of effects, is bulky runs off batteries, looks ugly and never ever breaks. 

My Amplug lasted a week, I tripped on the headphone cable and it literally disintegrated. 

I've got one of these. Stupidly cheap, but rather good. Aesthetically, they're erm, somewhat lacking but they do exactly what they're supposed to do.

• Like 1