Why become a member? ×

Wiring a selector switch with a series / parallel switch

The Westone Thunder I-A guitar I played as a teenager wants sorting. Originally it had a complex active system, but in a foolish moment aged 17 I tried to bypass all that. By some miracle it still makes a noise — just the one, mind....

On the upper horn is the usual three-way selector switch for the two humbuckers. Below the strings are three knobs and three little switches. I've been thinking what to do with them.

Knobs: V-T-T

Switches: a coil split for each humbucker, and a series/parallel switch for when both pickups are on.

I like the sound of two single coils in series, so that seems a useful set of controls.

To me this seems lovely and simple, but then, what do I know? Nothing.

Edited by Ricky Rioli

Painting over that grain would make me cry.

It's possible to do a series/parallel between pickups AND have a 3-way pickup selector, but it is quite complicated.

The pickup selection switch gets right in the way of doing a normal series/parallel switch.

RobbieK in Oz has made a drawing for such a thing, but I'm not sure he's a member here:

• 1 month later...
  • Munurmunuh changed the title to Wiring a selector switch with a series / parallel switch
  • 2 weeks later...

Having figured that out, I enjoyed proving to myself that on a bass like an L-2000 with two humbuckers you could have

• a neck/both/bridge toggle

• a switch for choosing whether the humbuckers are wired in series / parallel

• an inner single coils / outer single coils / humbuckers selector

Screenshot_20211102-183904_Gallery-01.jpeg.b2bf7926505b1e71387a24b6569e2b4f.jpeg

• Like 1