Why become a member? ×

The best guitar refinishers in the UK.

bubinga5

I know he’s pretty full with work, but Shuker’s finishing is absolutely stunning. Flips, crackles, sparkles, wet look glass finishes and even practically invisible matt finishes.

He’s a talented chap, not just one of the best luthiers out there, he even goes as far as designing his own top notch electronics when needed too. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Depends on what finish you’re after, but I’ll be surprised if David Wilson isn’t a lot less than that. Have you contacted him yet?

No not as yet. I think ill pass if its anywhere near that tbh. 

21 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Got a quote from Simms for a strip and refinish. Was nearly a grand.😲🤐

Just to echo Mr. Hackenbacker, it is definitely worth asking elsewhere for quotes. I had a strip and refinish completed by Bow Finishing within the last few weeks and it wasn’t anywhere near that. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My finances are a bit low (1000 quid refinish yikes!) so I’m thinking of just heat gunning off the poly shell to my stingray and applying a gun oil finish, after nearly three decades in humid asia the paint is literally falling off it in chunks and looks terrible, poly does not age gracefully at all.

...I’m half expecting the bass might sound even better without this layer of plastic around it, I only hope the wood looks ok and is not some offcut that they used because it was going to get painted.. 

Edited by Musicman666

On 16/05/2021 at 16:04, CookPassBabtridge said:

I’m not sure if that’s true, Bow Finishing do Sei and Bernie Goodfellow’s finishing though.

Just had them refinish my Warwick Thumb and would thoroughly recommend them. 

I think they basically inherited Mick Dearing's clientele when he passed away. They do great work. 

Dave Wilson is one of  the finest fellows ive ever dealt with. I've had a bass that was re finished by Dave and it was stunning. I believe he used to do the finishes for Overwater, if I had the cash, my jazz would be winging its way for a surf green with matching headstock jobbie 😁

• Like 2

On 04/06/2021 at 01:15, lee650 said:

Dave Wilson is one of  the finest fellows ive ever dealt with. I've had a bass that was re finished by Dave and it was stunning. I believe he used to do the finishes for Overwater, if I had the cash, my jazz would be winging its way for a surf green with matching headstock jobbie 😁

Yummy!

He’s busy doing a refin on my 1966 P Bass now, with a P Bass of Doom look. I wouldn’t use anyone else for a paint job. I’m sure others are bloody good but Dave is just epic. I have had 6 or so done by him and each one is fantastic. Happy to supply pics to anyone who’s interested 

• Like 1

My work in progress from Dave. Please remember he doesn’t like heavy relic finishes but he’s made an exception for me 😂 . I’ll post pics of finished bass next week after it’s had some time to settle.

C73D000B-AF4E-4D41-A5EE-C618D3DC5BED.thumb.jpeg.a748f8c0a47d5ea0924a03d896d27bfc.jpeg8F09BA04-276B-420D-9C9C-2998DF532DC5.thumb.jpeg.55e8426893c4197fc037020ee735ab4a.jpeg

Edited by walshy
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...