Why become a member? ×

Flatwound strings for acoustic bass?

Bilbo

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the above? Or confirm whether 'ordinary' sets will work on an acoustic bass guitar (for the record, I have used the same electric bass guitar strings sincs 1986. Acoustic strings are a new area for me).

Yup, you’ll be fine. Big standard strings will work on an acoustic, as the pickup is a piezo, and picks up physical vibration, instead of using ferrous metal strings to generate power (hence acoustics always have a preamp), so you’ve got more choice with regards to string material (phosphor bronze etc) with an acoustic.

I had a short scale acoustic a few years ago and loved the sound of it with flats. 
I’d stay clear of high tensions strings though, as I was never keen on the idea of wrenching the truss rod up on an acoustic, other BCers with more experience may Pooh Pooh thus though.

When I had a Fender acoustic a few years ago the first thing I did was remove the scratchy sounding bronze strings and stick on a pair of Chrome flats. I think that they were 40-100 gauge but could very well have been 45-105.

Much better sound IMO and none of that horrible bronze screech

I wanted black tapewounds for my acoustic bass, like on the old Eko fretless acoustics, but couldn’t find any at the time so I settled for a set of D’Addario chromes. They felt and sounded great, waaaayyy better than the bronze strings that came with the bass. Although my acoustic bass was just a sub-£99 cheapie it recorded brilliantly once I’d changed to Chromes on it. Can recommend 👍

• Thanks 1