Why become a member? ×

Weapons of choice... first rehearsal in nearly one year

tvickey

In the end neither the Sterling or the Rick was used on the first post lockdown rehearsal, as I’d managed to get the new addition set up to my liking she got the honours. Wish my playing had been able to do her justice.....9 months without a gig takes its toll.

C307F3AC-89FD-4425-B8F9-FFFF0DA4DFFA.jpeg

• Like 4

I've had a couple of rehearsals with my blues trio as we have a mahoosive old barn we use.  I've been trying my 'Lockdown Purchase' basses to see which is the best fit.  So far I've used a brace of old cheap Japanese basses and I have to say I love them. 

First up was a 1972 Antoria EB-3 into which I fitted Artec pickups and sits under the mix quite beautifully without being prominent.  At the moment I'd say I prefer the tone of the neck mudbucker in isolation - mixing in the bridge gives some bite but also dilutes the expansive woody character.  But it does a passable Jack Bruce when driven.

Big surprise is the mid 70s Antoria Precision that, it turns out, had a genuine 1975 Fender pickup fitted at some point.  It is lightweight at 8lbs and has the most amazingly comfy neck.  Massive aggressive tone from that pickup that has definition and bite and a very different experience to the EB-3 (or my other Precisions, come to that).  The guys reckon it sounds better than any other bass I have used with the band. 

IMG_20210521_092614.thumb.jpg.2dc5805e5f51acb1d3ee89732dd7bb55.jpg

Next week I will take my Guild B-301 to see how it sits compared to the Precision.  As I recall the tone is slightly glassier but it is equally rude.  Iality I expect I'll use them all in rotation. :) 

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 3

Our first rehearsal next Wednesday and I can't decide... made a lot of changes to the basses since lockdown and not tried them out in the mix yet. The Jag has EMG Geezers in it and I think it sounds amazing. The Mustang has a KiOgon loom and Mrs Trueno thinks it cuts through better. Just been trying to twang along a bit without putting the windows out. More twanging with my home practice amp and trying out some different settings on the new SansAmp. Not a bad problem to have...

IMG_0308.jpeg

• Like 2

So far we’ve had two rehearsals, at one I used my Fender Deluxe Precision strung with I think GHS Boomers, the second I used a regular Fender Precision strung with steel Elixirs. I preferred this sound so the Deluxe will be getting a set soon. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

So far we’ve had two rehearsals, at one I used my Fender Deluxe Precision strung with I think GHS Boomers, the second I used a regular Fender Precision strung with steel Elixirs. I preferred this sound so the Deluxe will be getting a set soon. 

Seeing that you mentioned strings... just put flats on both of mine (d’Addarios). It’ll be interesting...

• 2 weeks later...

Weapon(s) of choice at a recent first rehearsal after lockdown - My 2012 Fender American Standard Jazz with custom shop 60's and running 100 gauge Rotosound Monel flats. preferred noise boxes were my mid 1980's AH250 GP11 MK5  through the studio 8x10 and a mix of Ashdown ABM's. ( A 2010 ABM 500 EVOIII head and a 1998 ABM C410H-400 ).  It was hefty.   

IMG_0547.jpeg

• Like 2

Got to put the SG and new pedal board through its paces last night at a band level and am happy as Larry with them! 

Have to have a bit of a shout out for pirate Studios too. I've only been to their Camden branch, but the gear is all pretty decent (the fender amp and cab is theirs) and it's nice to practice somewhere that's not grotty and doesn't smell of arm pits!!

PXL_20210603_173503391.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I won't be rehearsing any time soon as I'm needed for either sound desk or livestream duties.  But I am hoping to have a bash with a mate on Friday evening. First time playing with someone else since Covid, so will be taking February's purchase.😀 20210222_083623.thumb.jpg.5ad4002fb6bfa0a4bd8c0a754345822e.jpg

• Like 1

On 21/05/2021 at 08:55, martthebass said:

In the end neither the Sterling or the Rick was used on the first post lockdown rehearsal, as I’d managed to get the new addition set up to my liking she got the honours. Wish my playing had been able to do her justice.....9 months without a gig takes its toll.

C307F3AC-89FD-4425-B8F9-FFFF0DA4DFFA.jpeg

Wow, what an awesome Status bass!  I guess the lights are an absolute necessity on stage when the rest of the bass is black! ;)

• Like 1