Why become a member? ×

Advice on TC RH750 fan.

Horrorhiker

Hello folks. 

I received an RH750 today, looks and sounds great on first impression. 

My only concern is that the fan isn't turning on. I've read in a couple of places that the fan on these should be running all the time. Is this true? I'm not really able to test it out at volume for ages so was hoping someone who owns one might let me know if their fan runs from startup, or kicks in only when getting hot. 

Many thanks! 

I have a TC450. I am not sure if the fan is running all the time, but I can't hear it until it has been pushed for a few hours. You can feel it blowing air after a while of it being on when it has got hot, but I have been very surprised at how loud fans are on other amplifiers.

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have a TC450. I am not sure if the fan is running all the time, but I can't hear it until it has been pushed for a few hours. You can feel it blowing air after a while of it being on when it has got hot, but I have been very surprised at how loud fans are on other amplifiers.

Cheers, yeah this one is definately not moving at all. I shone a torch into the grill to make sure. I think I'll just leave it on for an hour or two and see if it kicks in eventually. .

I'm a bit paranoid with fans it has to be said. I had a Peavey Minimax once that sounded like 10 planes taking off, and now I've got one that's not moving at all. Am hoping I'm just overly worrying and it'll kick in once warmer. 

Just now, Horrorhiker said:

Cheers, yeah this one is definately not moving at all. I shone a torch into the grill to make sure. I think I'll just leave it on for an hour or two and see if it kicks in eventually. .

Sounds like a plan. After a 3 hour gig with it set to half way and 2x12" speakers, the amp is warm to the touch but not so hot that it is an issue picking it up.

11 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

If you only leave it on it may not get hot enough to turn the fan on. You probably have to play through it to generate much heat.

Yes I was thinking that. I've emailled TC anyway so will see what they say. A couple of people online are complaining that theirs was too noisy from the start, so I'm thinking mine might be a lemon. 

Give TC a ring or drop em a line...

I'd also Cc in where ya got it, hopefuly you will get a response before ya 30 day returns or whatever.

I would expect it to run all the time, otherwise there is an extra thermo switch on the heatsink or somewhere, at extra expense

Surprised it is not mentioned in the destructions or spec if on/off... a 'feature' worthy of a bullet point mention in sales blurb.

2 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Give TC a ring or drop em a line...

I'd also Cc in where ya got it, hopefuly you will get a response before ya 30 day returns or whatever.

I would expect it to run all the time, otherwise there is an extra thermo switch on the heatsink or somewhere, at extra expense

Surprised it is not mentioned in the destructions or spec if on/off... a 'feature' worthy of a bullet point mention in sales blurb.

Thanks, yes I've emailled both. Already had a reply from Andertons saying that it only comes on when needed. Also, 2 other owners on a seperate thread on here are saying that theirs doesn't run on start up either. It very much looks like it is on/off based on that, which is reassuring. I'll still await TC's response with interest. You're right though..there's no mention of the cooling in the manual at all.