Why become a member? ×

Who makes a P bass body, JJ loaded 4 string bass?

warwickhunt

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

Can I ask a question of @warwickhunt?

What is the drive for a P-body/J-pickup configuration?  Wouldn't a Jazz Bass just do, or are you hankering for a Jazz tonally, but from a Precision shaped body?

The first thing I thought was (if you're on a budget and if this is just a feeler thing), source a P/J configured body - a Squier maybe - pretty certain the P-routs on these budget models are pretty generous (viz. huge and oblong), so you won't need to get the chisels out.  Then get a new scratchplate cut to accommodate the J-pickup.

Yes, this was asked and answered above.  I prefer the P bass aesthetically but I have a P bass, I have a PJ bass but not a JJ (unless you count the Urge bass).  I've also considered the 'modified' route and had sourced pups but by the time I've bought, modified and replaced parts on a P bass I 'might' have been able to pick one up off the shelf (used).  As it happens, there doesn't appear to be a budget brand that does this.  Hence I may follow OHM's route or indeed, modify a cheap Squier or similar.

2 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

I think that @mcnach has or had one that he modified to a JJ config. Nice looking bass if I remember.

Thank you @jezzaboy

I did that to my Matt Freeman Squier Precision. Twice.

First configured like a Jazz:

20160808_193634.jpg?dl=1

I took it to Chris McIntyre here in Edinburgh to route the bridge pickup, get a new pickguard made, and move the jack to the side although you could easily just add another hole to the front and keep the jack socket on the front too.

Then I installed a pair of DiMarzio Area J, which I prefer to the Nordstrands I had originally.

20161021_004718.jpg?dl=1

Later I decided to move the neck pickup closer to the bridge. I just had a new pickguard made and did the additional routing under the pickguard myself with a couple of chisels and care:

20161228_191841_09.jpg?dl=1

As a fan of the Jazz bass sound but not of the larger body and skinny neck, I also ordered a Maruszczyk Jake like that:

IMG_8309.jpg?dl=1

But I ended up preferring the modified Matt Freeman, which cost me very little to transform.

Start with a nice Precision, and just modify it to taste. :)

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

Thank you @jezzaboy

I did that to my Matt Freeman Squier Precision. Twice.

First configured like a Jazz:

20160808_193634.jpg?dl=1

I took it to Chris McIntyre here in Edinburgh to route the bridge pickup, get a new pickguard made, and move the jack to the side although you could easily just add another hole to the front and keep the jack socket on the front too.

Then I installed a pair of DiMarzio Area J, which I prefer to the Nordstrands I had originally.

20161021_004718.jpg?dl=1

Later I decided to move the neck pickup closer to the bridge. I just had a new pickguard made and did the additional routing under the pickguard myself with a couple of chisels and care:

20161228_191841_09.jpg?dl=1

As a fan of the Jazz bass sound but not of the larger body and skinny neck, I also ordered a Maruszczyk Jake like that:

IMG_8309.jpg?dl=1

But I ended up preferring the modified Matt Freeman, which cost me very little to transform.

Start with a nice Precision, and just modify it to taste. :)

Could you please elaborate on Chris Mcintyre and what he charges for routing pickup cavities, if it's OK? I plan to turn my Vintage V4 into either a double reversed P or a PJ. 

• 3 weeks later...

My new JJ P Bass body arrived today. I've done a dry fit but am waiting for the loom to arrive before I can plug it in and get it working properly. 

Im really pleased with it and glad I went  for the lacquered option. 

541017C2-4612-43C8-ADD5-08D70275ED11.jpeg

DF4EFB6F-C717-4D7B-AD3F-BA4855A72DB5.jpeg

C98CD1B6-CDF2-489A-8413-1EA193C2BA8F.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 2