Why become a member? ×

Who makes a P bass body, JJ loaded 4 string bass?

warwickhunt

I'm not talking about a custom order or a 5 string (I know Squier did a 5 string P bass with JJ).  I'm trying to source a cheap/reasonably priced bass that is the P bass body but with a Jazz layout of the pups (controls immaterial), yet I can't seem to find an off the peg bass that suits... surely there must be models out there?  

Cheers for any input... unless it is 5 string or other pup config related.  :)  

I've sat looking at that G&L and even though it defo is a P bass shape it looks subtly different (not a bad thing), I wonder of it is slightly fuller in the bouts.  Oddly @Sibob I like lots of the G&L features but I can't get away with the bottle opener headstock (liked the old headstock)... or do I.  LOL

The Markbass looks like it was made in the same factory as some of the Peavey range... and a bit pricey for my interest.  :)  

10 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I've sat looking at that G&L and even though it defo is a P bass shape it looks subtly different (not a bad thing), I wonder of it is slightly fuller in the bouts.

Also, the G&L JB-2 waist is offset, but a P bass's isn't.

7 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Not bad but I'm guessing not cheap.  I quite like the fact that the pups look to be offset further back than a Jazz would be, which might quite tighten the sound.  

I've just found one on the sold page at BD - looks like it was about £1700!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

Blimey, what a munter of a headstock!

3 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Any cheap precision + 1 pair of Jazz pickups + 1 new scratchplate + 15 minutes with a router? Expect the Bass Doc could knock one of those together for you in quick time.

Oddly enough I sourced pups to do this... but then they might go in a different bass that I already have.  :)  

However, I will be left with the pups coming out of the modded bass so that is an option.  ;)  

Modding a P bass has always been on the cards but is it cost effective 'v' buy something ready done (hence question).  

Cost P bass + x2 J pups + scratchplate (custom made) + cost of routing.

Offset would be selling standard scratchplate and the P pup... or keep them to revert.  

• Like 1

Can I ask a question of @warwickhunt?

What is the drive for a P-body/J-pickup configuration?  Wouldn't a Jazz Bass just do, or are you hankering for a Jazz tonally, but from a Precision shaped body?

The first thing I thought was (if you're on a budget and if this is just a feeler thing), source a P/J configured body - a Squier maybe - pretty certain the P-routs on these budget models are pretty generous (viz. huge and oblong), so you won't need to get the chisels out.  Then get a new scratchplate cut to accommodate the J-pickup.

I've ordered exactly the same body (P Bass shape with Jazz bass pickups) from Guitar and Bass Builds for a Fretless build as I don't like Jazz bass bodies but equally I don't like P Bass pickups for Fretless basses. 

It's due to arrive imminently so I'll post some pics once it's arrived. 

• Like 1