Why become a member? ×

Fender Flea Jazz Bass Advice Needed Please?

dave74200

Hi all,

I have this bass and absolutely adore it. The play-ability is amazing, it looks cool as and the tone is to die for. My only issue is, the notes are less powerful past the 12th fret. It doesn't seem to have the same heft as my P basses up the dusty end. Is this a jazz bass thing? Any advice on how to improve or compensate for it?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave.

There can be a few factors here. On one hand it could be as the Jazz is different to what you’re used to, or the set up or strings are different. I’m sure other folks will give views on factors. 

But sometimes I’ve found it’s just the character of that particular bit of wood , so in some cases the same model of bass can sound different, so also noticeable when playing up the neck - I’ve experienced this before on guitars too. 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1

I presume you are referring to the passive variety? I didn’t notice any difference on mine before the neck gave up and the truss rod failed. It now has a Status neck on it which is obviously spot on. The replacement Flea neck which I received from Fender went on a stack pot self build which is also fine. As @Chiliwailer says, it may just be down to the piece of wood 🤷‍♂️.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 1