Why become a member? ×

Are your music tastes eclectic or quite narrow?

I now mostly work from home and in the mornings I often listen to Paul Anthony and Wyatt's shows. While I hear all the songs played, I only listen to the 5-10% I like while the remainder is just aural wallpaper. I find it hard to believe that of the 10-12 songs that are played an hour on any music radio show someone would like more than a third at most.

• Like 1

I was thinking about this question when I was out driving last night. My ipod told me the answer. Classical music from full orchestra (Holst, Rimsky-Korsakov, Howard Shore, Elgar) to string quartets (Bartok) to solo piano (Beethoven) to Prog Rock, Jazz (Ellington to Coltrane to Fusion to William Parker and Free Jazz), to Heavy Rock/Metal, to a whole gamut of Latin/Latin Jazz. I reckon that eclectic enough!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I was thinking about this question when I was out driving last night. My ipod told me the answer. Classical music from full orchestra (Holst, Rimsky-Korsakov, Howard Shore, Elgar) to string quartets (Bartok) to solo piano (Beethoven) to Prog Rock, Jazz (Ellington to Coltrane to Fusion to William Parker and Free Jazz), to Heavy Rock/Metal, to a whole gamut of Latin/Latin Jazz. I reckon that eclectic enough!

No Country & Western, complete fail.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

where's the rap ? 😁

14 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

where's the rap ? 😁

I have various albums with slivers of rap on them; Blues Traveller (Business As Usual), Rush, Ozomatli, The Fugees/Lauryn Hill and some others I can't remember the names of but, no, it leaves me cold. It all sounds like bad, schoolboy poetry put to dreadfully unimaginative music to me. 

I only like 1 thing, and that's The Funk

If it's Hard as well I'm even happier.

So I like Bach and Schubert (not quite The Funk but great basslines). But not usually opera, as it's about the vox and not even a tiny bit Funky.

And I like Motorhead and Dead Kennedys because they're Hard and Surprisingly Funky. But not usually any metal with growly vox as that's not Funky. Apart from Rolo Tomassi.

And I like most reggae (Funky), but not usually Country and Western (normally it's Sir Nose Devoid O'Funk).

And I like lots of jazz, at least if it's Hard or Funky, which of course excludes most purveyors of elevator muzak a la Kenny G and his ilk.

And I can't really be doing with much pop music through the ages because it's neither Hard nor Funky.

Like to think fairly eclectic from Bach to Appalachian Folk. Easier to say I'm NOT into cRAP please use your hoods as a gag, Death Metal take some Gaviscon, Operatic singers get over yourselves and down a gallon of scrumpy you'll sound a lot less like you've got a poker up your @rse.  Other than that I'm pretty chilled.

I have eclectic tastes, will listen to anything I like the sound of and don't rule out anything based on preconceptions about genre.

There's loads of good rap out there - Beasties, Jurassic 5, Roots Manuva and anything with Q-tip on it for starters.

Eclectic-ish. Some genres have little or no representation - classical, opera, trad jazz, polka, klezmer...

I tend to latch on to particular artists rather than genres. This makes for some interesting juxtapositions in my alphabetised CD collection!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, BreadBin said:

I have eclectic tastes, will listen to anything I like the sound of and don't rule out anything based on preconceptions about genre.

There's loads of good rap out there - Beasties, Jurassic 5, Roots Manuva and anything with Q-tip on it for starters.

The late 80s -mid 90s threw up loads of great hip hop . I'll take those and add Eric B & Rakim, Naughty by Nature, PE, Ice Cube, Ice T,  EPMD, KRS 1 and Cypress Hill. Currently the genre's gone down a bit of a hole but there is Run The Jewels, today's PE. They've made 4 cracking albums and show that rap isn't all about bling, beyatches and hoes.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

The late 80s -mid 90s threw up loads of great hip hop . I'll take those and add Eric B & Rakim, Naughty by Nature, PE, Ice Cube, Ice T,  EPMD, KRS 1 and Cypress Hill. Currently the genre's gone down a bit of a hole but there is Run The Jewels, today's PE. They've made 4 cracking albums and show that rap isn't all about bling, beyatches and hoes.

Maybe its because I am a bit older but I agree about most of those mentioned. I still like Cypress Hill, Tupac Ice T etc. Its the new style hip hop/rap that I can't be doing with but then again, I don't give it a chance. If I hear a song that I don't particularly like, after few plays I end up liking it.

Edited by ubit

29 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

show that rap isn't all about bling, beyatches and hoes.

I can't stand the rap that is of the above type.

However, as others have said, that is just one part of the rap genre (unfortunately the best known)…… the remainder contains a whole lot of decent stuff  - to my ears.

Kendrick Lamar is a current rapper of high standing/ quality as well!

I can find gems in any and all genres. Any and all artforms will have features that are interest to somebody and as such have validity. To restrict one's diet is to miss out on some truly bomb stuff which would be a shame. All I require is that undefinable "it" that is unconstrained by form, genre or even easy definition. 

So my listening in unabashadly eclectic, for that 'it' is everywhere.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dapper Bandit said:

...To restrict one's diet is to miss out on some truly bomb stuff which would be a shame ...

If the rewards are worth the dross that one has to wade through, this is doubtless true. To me, with what time I have left on the Planet, that's not a price I'm prepared to pay. OK, I'll miss some gems. I'll miss a much greater mountain of dross, though.
That's not to say I'll never 'take a punt'; I've picked up a lot of Good Stuff from recommendations on this very Forum. I've equally wasted more time than is comfortable trying to stumble upon something I can listen to in the Reggae topic, or the Funk stuff. As a Mod, I peek in there for 'house-keeping', but have learned that the chances of my listening to a whole video posted there are slim indeed. It has happened, but oh, so rarely. -_-

• Like 1

I listen to music almost exclusively on random. My computer has 25,057 songs on it. It ranges from Mozart to Meshuggah and I enjoy each as much as the last. It covers just about every genre. Even the genres that I am not quite so keen on like Jazz still feature on this playlist. I find that songs that I don't like at first can grow on me. I just appreciate good music. I don't think there is such a thing as shyte music. It's just that it's not your taste.

Pretty eclectic I guess. Grew up with loads of Jazz, hymns at school (which I loved), show tunes, Disney soundtracks, some classical and lots of 60s pop on the radio, bits of flamenco etc. A bit later was exposed to the Beatles, then ABBA, then Prog and heavy rock, more pop, punk, funk etc etc. But as others have said, I don’t like everything, even within my preferred genres, such as Prog and pop. Things I don’t listen to much are reggae and soul. There not much music I actually hate though. And whilst Prog may be my favourite genre, there’s little I love as much as a good song. 

My musical tastes are summed up by my CD collection... It goes from Abba to ZZ Top, with Motörhead next to Mozart, but if you look closely you'll find more jazz/fusion and prog than anything else.

• Like 1