Why become a member? ×

Can anyone explain this?

Linus27

My home practise rig is an Ashdown Mi550 and Mi10 cab and I use a passive Fender Precision fretless. Been using this for months and months and even up to 15mins before rehearsal yesterday. I even double checked everything was working as it was the first rehearsal for a new project and wanted to check the input level on the amp was set and the EQ was sounding half decent. Once I had, I packed the gear up and headed to the quiet acoustic rehearsal. Set up and plugged my tuner in and nothing. I thought ok, maybe battery so I changed my battery and still nothing. The tuner came on but no signal being received from the bass. So I tuned by ear and plugged the bass into the amp and again nothing. The input needle on the Ashdown amp was not moving. So lots of checking cables and trying different cables and still nothing.

So we plugged the acoustic guitar in and it worked. Tried the bass again and nothing. Plugged another bass in and nothing. Changed the battery in this other bass as it was active and it worked. Throughout the night I kept trying my passive bass but still nothing, dead as a dodo.

Got home after rehearsal, set the rig up with same bass to try and work out what was happening and it all worked as it has for months and months.

To add more confusion, when I left rehearsal, my car wouldn't start. It has a start button and I just have the keys in my pocket and press the button and off it starts. Has worked everytime for years. Last night though when I went to start, it wouldn't and the info screen told me to hold the keys by the start button and press the button to start the car. I have never seen this before but it seemed to work.

I have no idea what was going on but it was very odd, especially with the bass.

Edited by Linus27

So, if it's not alien influence what was it? Hard to tell now it's all OK again.

Possibilities?

Dry joint in the amp (input) bumped in transit. 

Send/return jacks problem.

Amp fault - SMPSU not firing up.

If it happens again plug a (good) jack cable into the input and touch the tip... anything? This is the basic test of  "is the amp working ?"'. Tuner can be used to test cables - give them a flex all along their length.

Plug a jack cable into send/returns... switch jacks can go o/c

Try some 'percussive maintenance' on the amp - this can detect dry joints and loose connections.. 

Have a good look inside the amp - look for bad soldering, swollen/leaking caps, loose plugs etc.

Why did the acoustic work? Cold just be chance + an intermittent problem.

Can't think of anything else. 

• Like 1