Why become a member? ×

Daft dusting question

Bobthedog

Perhaps a daft question, but do you remove any dust from the cones of your cab speakers?

I live in a very dusty house and now only have my Barefaced Big Twin II to play through. As I try to play most days it is left uncovered and for reasons affecting all of us, the cab has not moved for at least 12 months. The cones therefore have a coating of dust. I do gently dust my studio monitors and the two basses I play regularly (also left out) require dusting / wiping every week, so why not the cab cones? 

Prior to lock down, I used a combo cab / amp at home the the BTII was kept in its cover when not being used.

Just turn it up till the cab cones are self dusting!

How about a quick blast with the aerosol duster... kind of thing used to clean computer k'bds... available from all good tat shops, pound land etc.

Quick blast mind and dont shake or invert, as the jet can come out a bit cold - freezer spray like

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bolo said:

To what end? A bit of dust isn't going to affect the material or sound.

UNLESS you leave it there long enough and then it becomes vintage dust and thus acquires  magical tone-improving qualities

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

No and never given it a thought in 40+ yrs. To be fair my bass gear is kept in my bass cave and door closed at all times. Only person that goes in on a regular basis is me. My wife occasionally goes in if using the filing cabinet or printer we have. No cats allowed in that room so my speakers are usually quite dust free whenever i've looked at them but its not something i've specifically made a point of looking at.

Cabs that are not in use at home are usually stored with their respective covers.

Dave

My hi-fi speakers have exposed cones, a quick flick with one of those fine, fluffy brushes on a stick does the trick or, as been mentioned, on of those brush attachments for the vacuum cleaner. Does dust make a difference to the tone of the speaker? I’d say, yes, eventually.

I use a make up brush to remove dust from my basses if required. Usually done when i change strings and polish the bass top to bottom (i got it from my wife before anyone makes any untoward insinuations 😁)

On hindsight if the basses have dust on them then the speaker cones must too. I shall investigate further 😂

Nahhhh i'll look to see but cant see me cleaning them.

Dave

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I use a make up brush to remove dust from my basses if required. Usually done when i change strings and polish the bass top to bottom (i got it from my wife before anyone makes any untoward insinuations 😁)

On hindsight if the basses have dust on them then the speaker cones must too. I shall investigate further 😂

Dave

Make-up brush ? Glam rock equipment… or is there something you’re not telling us …

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

6 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Make-up brush ? Glam rock equipment… or is there something you’re not telling us …

Beat me to it. Either that or someone’s significant other is, or is going to be, pretty cross. 🤣

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

My hi-fi speakers have exposed cones, a quick flick with one of those fine, fluffy brushes on a stick does the trick or, as been mentioned, on of those brush attachments for the vacuum cleaner. Does dust make a difference to the tone of the speaker? I’d say, yes, eventually.

And that is what I do with my studio monitors and hi-if speakers, also with a fine fluffy brush on a stick. I look quite like Richard Emery I do..

• Haha 1

My M-Audio monitors have exposed cones; I've draped a lace curtain over them. This keeps dust off the speakers, whilst letting the rich audio tones reach me with no hindrance. I've had occasion to remove them once or twice, when they got beaten moderately to remove accumulated dust. It works for me (and we've a rural, dusty environment...).