Why become a member? ×

Eden Amps No More?

mazdah

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, vinorange said:

As an avid Eden fan and having bought an Eden amp needing some surgery I found out that Marshall have sold the Eden brand and UK stock to Gear4Music. Not quite sure what to make of that.......

As in the brand is also owned by G4M or or they sold the brand (to ANOther) and the UK stock to G4M? Sorry for a pedantic question but it may give us a clue to their future!

57 minutes ago, Merton said:

As in the brand is also owned by G4M or or they sold the brand (to ANOther) and the UK stock to G4M? Sorry for a pedantic question but it may give us a clue to their future!

I assume this is a similar to setup to Acoustic and Guitar Centre, i.e they own the brand and will start manufacturing and selling amps under the Eden name.   I can't find anything via Google about it though - @vinorange what's your source?

38 minutes ago, funkydoug said:

Could be good news if G4M start making decent amps using the Eden brand. Hope so.

I can't see them being any good.  I think the whole problem has been since David Nordschow left Eden the success of the brand deteriorated, I can't see G4M being able to inject any innovation into the brand to make them popular again.

This is all giving me gas for a old World Tour Amp head though.

1 hour ago, funkydoug said:

Could be good news if G4M start making decent amps using the Eden brand. Hope so.

The more likely scenario is that they stick the Eden name plate on inexpensive Asian imports to make them appear legitimate. That's what GC did with Acoustic, not to be confused (though they endeavor to so so) with Acoustic Control Corporation. 

• Like 3

I've used Eden World Tour kit in the past and it was great sounding and very high build quality. I'm not surprised Marshall pulled the brand offline without warning, they did the same with the old EdenAmpsForum (A very friendly forum of dedicated Eden users with excellent Eden Resources available). I think Marshall has historically had a mixed reputation for their bass gear which might be in part due to their history and reputation as a maker of guitar amps. They've made some fine Marshall bass amps over the years but not really anything I can recall that set the bass world alight in my humble opinion. Eden was a fine brand for them to keep their hand in the bass market when they stopped making Marshall bass gear but I don't think they ever really promoted it to any extent or certainly not as much as their guitar products. I suspect it didn't have the mass market appeal to a company that needed to shift units. Eden equipment had fairly hefty RRP values when new. It will be interesting to see what happens to the Eden brand and whether Marshall finally decide to be a guitar amp only company. Who knows they may be ready to launch some new exciting bass products of their own in place of the Eden brand. An 800 watt Class-D Marshall Superbass JCM2020?  Fender did it with their Bassman amps🤨  RIP Eden. 

The Marshall VB & DBS ranges were great bass amps, ideal for rock etc, but yes, never really known as a bass amp company due to the huge guitar amp reputation. I was surprised when they took over Eden and am even more surprised at what they’ve don’t with it as it would have been an ideal opportunity to get properly into the bass amp market.

• Like 3

I’ve been trying to get a replacement whizzer speaker for my EX112 cab from Marshall since the first lockdown. Well peed off when a family member who works at Marshall told me they didn’t own them anymore.

I had a Nemesis combo many years ago that I loved but it packed up sadly. Still using a Nemesis 4x10 for most of the Stray gigs that I love and picked up off here for just £80!

• Like 1

I'd be very happy if Marshall brought out their own bass amps again. I used to list over the DBS amps and I check ebay for a local one at the right place every now and then. There's no reason they can't do well at it if they make a solid product. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Oooofffff I do love 2x 15s. There's something about sticking two of them in a single huge cabinet that just makes it somehow better. 

I absolutely loved the Ashdown ABM215 that I played through, far preferred it to the SVT810.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I absolutely loved the Ashdown ABM215 that I played through, far preferred it to the SVT810.

Sadly the closest I've got is when I used to have 2 separate Rootmaster 1x15s hooked up together. I'd love to swap my RM 2x10 with someone for a 1x15

This might explain the difficulty I had in getting a WTP600 last year. Ordered it in March, then came lockdown and a year of chivvying by the local dealer who got nowhere with them. Managed to find one on Bass Direct in the end.

It's a crying shame. I love the Eden sound.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Count Bassy said:

So does this mean that Marshall now have no bass amp/cab offering at all? Nothing seems to be listed in their "Amps" page.

So glad I've got my DBS400, even if I don't use it often.

Great amp, must be nice having that in the armoury.

Hmm, I always fancied a Eden World Tour head as the preset for it in the Bass Pod I had was really nice. 

As stated above by others, it is strange that Marshall have no proper bass products. The VBA was a lovely but utterly impractical amp. DBS stuff is nice too.

However, Marshall are pretty slow at innovating. They really haven't delivered a new 'flagship' 50/100 watt guitar head since the JVM series over a decade ago. The Code/Origin stuff is fine and all but I didn't really like them when I tried them. However a Code/Origin bass offering would at least give them some market presence on the bass front. 

Perhaps Marshall thought they were best off focusing on guitar products rather than trying to compete against companies like Ashdown. Like even if Marshall spend a lot of R+D money on a bass head, would it actually sell enough to recoup the R+D costs?

18 hours ago, thodrik said:

Perhaps Marshall thought they were best off focusing on guitar products rather than trying to compete against companies like Ashdown. Like even if Marshall spend a lot of R+D money on a bass head, would it actually sell enough to recoup the R+D costs?

Good point. Suppose it depends if they can shift a load of Chinese made entry level stuff with a suitable margin too. I'd bet for every 800w bass head sold there's a significant number more 15-20watt bedroom starter amps sold. I'll need an electric guitar amp soon and I'd always choose a Marshall over anything else because it's Marshall. I'd bet it would be the same in bass terms for a lot of beginners, it's an attractive brand name, distinctive looks, not sure why they didn't keep it going for bassists even with Eden in their stable.