Why become a member? ×

Eden Amps No More?

mazdah

No!!

I was at the LBGS where there was a "Noise War" going on between Eden and Aguilar - IMO the Eden sounded streets ahead of the Agi. 

I don't understand why companies buy up smaller companies just to kill them off. I supposed there must be an economical reason but, please, don't educate me on this - it's just wrong!

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I don't understand why companies buy up smaller companies just to kill them off. I supposed there must be an economical reason but it's just wrong!

CEO vanity has an influence in the first instance until financial reality hits and quietly papered over. Probably following a review by an outside Consultant who charges £2500 a day and plays golf with the CEO.

7 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

No!!

I was at the LBGS where there was a "Noise War" going on between Eden and Aguilar - IMO the Eden sounded streets ahead of the Agi. 

I don't understand why companies buy up smaller companies just to kill them off. I supposed there must be an economical reason but, please, don't educate me on this - it's just wrong!

I can understand why Fender bought SWR, as they went on to make some pretty good amps using up all that skille and knowledge they acquired, and have kept going albeit in a very non SWR direction.

Why Marshall bought Eden I really don't know. They didn't do anything to improve Marshall's bass offering and the Eden stuff seemed to kind of wither since the takeover. They clearly didn't really know what to do with them. Really sad 😭

Eude

I was once briefly an Eden artist, just as Marshall had taken them over. I wanted the WT550 amp and 410XLT. I was told I couldn't have the WT550 and could only get the WTP amps. 

The 410XLT was incredible, my favourite cab of all time. So responsive, clear and punchy

The WTP600 was utter garbage. Worst amp I ever used and just didn't have any real volume. The DI out was terrible. I don't know who designed that amp but it was terrible. During a gig the clip light would be flashing away and eventually would go solid red and would have to turn the amp of and on to stop it from shutting down. 

I feel like they should've built a lightweight version of the XLT cabs that were still high quality. The original Eden Amps weren't very heavy anyway.

It seemed an odd match up between Eden and Marshall. It's still a shame theyve gone tho! 

• Like 1

Several years ago I had to analyse a mountain of company data, which ultimately had to be signed off by the Bank of England... What was obvious when I looked at a breakdown of UK companies by size is that there are a lot of small ones, quite a few big ones, and very few in between. What that tells me is you have a lot of small family businesses and start-ups, but once a company begins to get to medium sized, the big boys step in and buy them out an eliminate the competition. It's bad news as it removes market diversity. It's basically a complex monopoly and needs some serious legislation to deal with it.   

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, 40hz said:

What did Marshall even do with the brand beyond the Terra Nova Series? (If they weren't already a thing before the buyout).

Made effects pedals that needed a different power supply to the usual 9v and when they couldn't sell them for £90 each knocked them out at £30.

It's a shame, I've been ogling Eden amps on ebay for quite a while. I quite liked how their styling was really carp but you know there's a really good quality amp in there. I can only hope that Marshall do a more modern version of the Bass State hybrid amps I used to have and the DBS amps I could only dream of playing in my teens. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

The DBS range was great, if only Marshall had kept Eden going and somehow integrated the DBS into their range, would have been great.

Yup, that's exactly what they should've done.

The little proper solid state WT amps were fantastic and ahead of their time, much like the original Mes Walkabout. If they'd just hung on and developed that idea I think they would still be here.
Even better, if Marshall had used that idea and made a more compact, but equally powerful DBS, they might have something to offer bass players too. The battle for Class D dominance has sunk a lot of bass amp manufacturers, either by just not keeping up, or by racing to the bottom :(

Eude

Genuinely sad if Eden's really gone. 

My first bass combo was an Eden, a really great little unit and I had a nemesis 4*10 for a little while until @King Tut took it off my hands for the Stray tour.

Always fancied a WTX head.

Never liked the look of the pedals and the Terra Nova range never appealed - I guess these were the Marshall era efforts and seems I wasn't alone.

Although it’s always sad to see our rig options reduced, I have to say my limited experience of Eden amps is not great. I used to play lead guitar in a band where the bass player was a serial amp buyer, and the Eden head he once used (Class D, gold colour,  can’t remember any more) sounded very muddy to me.