Why become a member? ×

**SOLD** Music Man Stingray "Old Smoothie"
£1850
Wickford, Essex, England.

SOLD

I really don't get this 'thinning the herd is cathartic' business; it just doesn't seem to get any easier, not for me anyway.

This is my third topic in the 'Basses for Sale' section in less than two months and it was brought about firstly by my sudden urge to get a particular bass built and secondly, the realisation that by having ordered said bass, it would exceed my self imposed limit of 'x' number of instruments that thus far I have dutifully bound myself to. It also helps to fund the new build, but deciding what was going next was traumatic. In the end, I numbered six Stingrays 1 through 6 and rolled the dice 😬.

I ordered this bass as soon as the "Old Smoothie" was announced, so it's one of the first to arrive in the UK and it's a cracker. It has a beautiful mellow tone, a nice low action and looks stunning (IMHO). The chocolate burst finish is very well done indeed. The bass still has all the stickers on it, as well as the one on the scratch plate, plus all the tags and candy in the case. The padded envelope hasn't even been opened. I guess it's what you would call a case queen. Almost no playing time and I would describe it as new. Weight: 9.86lbs.

This model was released to commemorate 40 years of the Stingray. Here' the MM blurb from their web site....

Since its introduction in 1976, the Music Man StingRay has been embraced as one of the world's classic electric bass designs. To celebrate, Ernie Ball Music Man is proud to introduce the 40th Anniversary "Old Smoothie" StingRay, a faithful reproduction of StingRay prototype #26, designed for Sterling Ball during his time spent testing and developing the original prototypes back in the 70's. Named for its smooth even tone that is reminiscent of the highly sought after vintage Music Man StingRay sound, "Old Smoothie" has been precisely reproduced including the one-of-a-kind custom made 10 pole piece pickup design, body headstock and pickguard shape, 34-inch scale maple neck and fingerboard, low profile narrow frets, hardware, and active electronics.

For those that haven't seen it, here is the video from Sterling Ball giving some info on the history of the original bass and it's replica....

Spec for this bass at a glance:

Specifications StingRay 40th (Old Smoothie)
Model StingRay 40th (Old Smoothie)
Size 13-1/2" wide x 1-5/8" thick x 44-7/8" long (34.3 cm wide, 4.1 cm thick, 114.0 cm long)
Body Wood Alder
Body Finish High gloss polyester
Body Colors Chocolate Burst
Bridge Music Man® chrome plated, hardened steel bridge plate with vintage stainless steel saddles and adjustable mute pads
Pickguard White
Scale Length 34" (86.4 cm)
Neck Radius 7.5" (19.1 cm)
Headstock Size Only 8-3/4" (22.2 cm) long
Frets 21 - Low profile, narrow width
Neck Width 1-11/16" (42.86 mm) at nut 2-1/2" (63.5 mm) at last fret
Neck Wood Select maple neck
Fingerboard Select maple
Fret Markers 5/16" Black dots (no 21st marker)
Neck Finish High gloss polyester
Neck Colors Natural aged light yellow finish
Tuning Machines Schaller BM, with tapered string posts
Truss Rod Rear mounted adjustable - no component or string removal
Neck Attachment 6 bolt neck plate
Electronic Shielding Chrome plated brass control cover
Controls Custom "Old Smoothie" 2-band active preamp; vol, treble, bass
Pickups Custom "Old Smoothie" humbucking with 10 elongated Alnico magnets and split cover
Left Handed No
Strings 45w-65w-80w-100w (Super Slinky Bass #2834)

Photos:

IMG_0692.thumb.JPG.31c30ba008f767ce2a200602160d3aa0.JPG

Shipping

I initially stated that I didn't want to ship this bass, but it would appear from the enquiries I've had, that I'm limiting my audience somewhat.

I've looked at the usual couriers. Eurosender seems out of the picture due to reasons stated elsewhere and reading the fine print of the major couriers doesn't fill me with joy regarding loss or damage.

Therefore, I've had a quote from a man with a van - not just any man with a van though! This is the guy that @walshy uses and the guy has quoted me £60.

I'm fairly sure that doesn't include getting it to the Outer Hebrides, but should cover getting it out of Essex to most areas of England. Please note, I will have to confirm this price with him if I have any enquiries depending where you are located.

So, yes, it's more than the £30 quoted by Parcel Farce (which only gives £100 cover by the way - full cover with a load of get out clauses is over £100!!), but (and it's a very big but as far as I'm concerned), the man with van guarantees delivery within 24 hours of collection from me and most importantly, there is total peace of mind regarding damage and/or loss. If @walshy trusts him, that's good enough for me. I think @AndyTravis has used him with confidence success also.

So call it £1850 delivered to mostly everywhere in England.

No trades thank you - unless you have a particularly nice Zon Sonus.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 13
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Paul_1991 said:

Great bass. Can't get enough of my one, best sounding Stingray I've ever owned.

Totally get why you’d think that Paul - for a Ray they have a unique softness and mellowness to them, yet still sound like a Ray should and pack a punch if you want it. 

8 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Totally get why you’d think that Paul - for a Ray they have a unique softness and mellowness to them, yet still sound like a Ray should and pack a punch if you want it. 

Absolutely, great summary there Dan, they are a joy to record with as well. Not so aggressive but same great tone. 

I have often wondered how MM will top this Stingray for the inevitable 50th anniversary model! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Forgot to mention, I had the thumb rest made with a 3D printer which will go with the bass. It's not a fancy Zero Mod see through one, but it does not require extended screws either.

Thats genius!! Great idea

Lovely bass, why the hell do they put barcodes on the back though?  GLWTS

On 17/05/2021 at 07:46, ProfJames said:

Never tried one but looking forward to doing so....when I get some money!  Great colour and looks brand new, love that pile of Stingrays!  GLWTS

Popped it out of the case again this evening for a quick noodle and it is a quality instrument - and you're right, it's as new.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BillyBass said:

I'd love this, it looks gorgeous.  Sadly though, for me it is way too expensive...£1850 plus the divorce costs when she sees it coming through the door!

I feel you! Still this is up at the top of ‘my next bass’ list. 

Stingray vibe but with a Smooth and mellow ‘edge ‘ . 

Good luck with the sale, I’ll keep coming back to oogle until it’s gone 😁