Why become a member? ×

Fender PBass Variations

Guest BassAdder27

13 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

They definitely feel and sound different BA, if you’re anywhere near me you’re welcome to borrow one to try 👍

Thank you RB that’s really kind of you

I do plan to hit the local PMT in a few weeks to try out a few variants and maybe a Jazz too 

I’m in Suffolk so probably not local to each other 

If you want a Fender the Highway One series are incredible value and great basses.

Also look at the Cowpoke ones with the longhorn, I think one of the above 2 has the grease bucket circuit (don’t quite me tho!)

Also the Fender Cabronita is a great different type bass, I miss mine.

A further option would be get a good Fender of any variety like a Mex or Jap one and then pop a different pick up in, maybe slightly boutique like a Creamery or Lindy Fralin, Ulyate Tic Tac etc. Have one for one era for example the one you have and then a 58 P from creamery for its different windings and sound and you have 2 subtly but justifiably different P basses with strings of choice.

46 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Musicman USA SUB? More of a P bass than a jazz bass and different enough from a P bass. Much beefier than the 3EQ US stingrays too

Can you still buy them ? Matt dark red if I recall with a aluminium pickguard? 

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

They come up s/h frequently for your budget. The colours I recall were; red, blue, grey, black, and white. 

I had the red one as a back up to my EBMM and it played well and sounded similar too 

The new Sterling versions are not that great I hear in comparison?

13 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

I had the red one as a back up to my EBMM and it played well and sounded similar too 

The new Sterling versions are not that great I hear in comparison?

I have a ray34. Fantastic and has the grunt of a stingray. One on reverb at minute 600 quid

On 13/05/2021 at 18:46, BassAdder27 said:

I play mostly rock in my band so not sure fretless would fit for me 

Boz Burrell, Bad Company. It's not always about mwah, vibrato and big slides. It is sometimes, though and then you have Tony Franklin with The Firm, Blue Murder, etc.

Full disclosure, I'm a fretless fanboy.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Pearl Jam, Ten. 

Seriously. When I upgraded my beginner bass many years ago there wasn't a lot of choice of decent basses, and definitely not lefties in the backwater town I grew up in. Internet buying had only just started and there was a site in the US offering Tobias, Kramer and Steinberger Spirits. So I had a choice of "standard" looking Tobias bass, headless Steinberger, or fretless five string banana headstock Kramer.... I was in a band playing Hendrix, Sabbath, Zepplin and Alive by Pearl Jam. I bought the fretless and eventually got rid of my beginners fretted P bass and never looked back. You don't have to "mwaaaaaaaahhhhh" every note with a fretless, so it can be very versatile. It still gets gigged today, even when depping in an originals band where I can't play like the original bassist so I got permission to do something completely different...

FB_IMG_1596022533704.jpg

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Seriously. When I upgraded my beginner bass many years ago there wasn't a lot of choice of decent basses, and definitely not lefties in the backwater town I grew up in. Internet buying had only just started and there was a site in the US offering Tobias, Kramer and Steinberger Spirits. So I had a choice of "standard" looking Tobias bass, headless Steinberger, or fretless five string banana headstock Kramer.... I was in a band playing Hendrix, Sabbath, Zepplin and Alive by Pearl Jam. I bought the fretless and eventually got rid of my beginners fretted P bass and never looked back. You don't have to "mwaaaaaaaahhhhh" every note with a fretless, so it can be very versatile. It still gets gigged today, even when depping in an originals band where I can't play like the original bassist so I got permission to do something completely different...

FB_IMG_1596022533704.jpg

Good man, I sold all my fretted basses and how have a Jazz FL with rounds and a Precision FL with heavy flats. I seriously don't need anything else to gig and record. There are lines I can’t play well on a fretted instrument that I can play well - perhaps better is more accurate - on a fretless, Rhythm Stick being a good example. Jaco always claimed to practice on a fretted neck and perform on a fretless because the former was slower and harder to play. I completely agree with him :) 

• Like 1

On 13/05/2021 at 07:52, Beedster said:

I love the idea of P/Js, but despite lots of experimentation in practice and rehearsal, in live and recording situations I always end up using the P-PUP only

My BB sounds great as a PJ....but kind of dull with the P soloed.... Wonder if that's the secret to a good PJ...

More seriously, am wondering if the plentiful experimentation included PJs with reverse P pickups?

11 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

My BB sounds great as a PJ....but kind of dull with the P soloed.... Wonder if that's the secret to a good PJ...

More seriously, am wondering if the plentiful experimentation included PJs with reverse P pickups?

True point, my BB2024 was one of the few P/J's I've owned that really delivered, but whilst the tone with both PUPs mixed was glorious solo'd, I still tended to gravitate towards towards the P-PUP in a band mix. Probably more about the course than the horse however :)

23 minutes ago, Beedster said:

True point, my BB2024 was one of the few P/J's I've owned that really delivered, but whilst the tone with both PUPs mixed was glorious solo'd, I still tended to gravitate towards towards the P-PUP in a band mix. Probably more about the course than the horse however :)

If I didn't have a P-style bass on its way I would be wanting to upgrade my 424 to a 1024 or 2024 to get that soloable P. The 424s seems to be a bit 2D.