Why become a member? ×

Fender PBass Variations

Guest BassAdder27

Hey folks 

I have just the one bass, Fender Player Series PBass and it’s very good too.

As getting to stores is / has been difficult and some locally have limited stock .. my question is for my second bass should I get a PBass with a different neck say maple ? 

Or get something very different?

Trying to stay with a close match in neck / nut width and a budget of £700 or less ideally new 

It would be mostly a back up bass as I’m delighted with the lovely tone I get from my current new PBass and I’m happy to set them up so it does really play nicely 

Prior to this some years back I had an EBMM Stingray 4 USA model and I thought it couldn’t be beaten !

I think I actually prefer the PBass !

7 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Why do you require a second bass?

Lol .. surely thats outlawed saying that on Basschat !!! 

You are right I don’t need one but I would like one ( perhaps ) 

Edited by BassAdder27

I recommend going for a G&L L2000 tribute. I've owned every variation of P bass, Jazz and i own a Stingrays too but I was really impressed when I bought a G&L L2500  (which is the 5 string version).

It's insanely versatile, as it has two pickups which can be played in series and in parallel  mode. On it's own it sounds great but I've played it with a band too and it really has a great bottom end and clarity too.

It's new price is well under the £700 you were wanting to spend. This is a video of the USA version (the Tributes are made in Indonesia).

Edited by gjones

54 minutes ago, gjones said:

I recommend going for a G&L L2000 tribute. I've owned every variation of P bass, Jazz and i own a Stingrays too but I was really impressed when I bought a G&L L2500  (which is the 5 string version).

It's insanely versatile, as it has two pickups which can be played in series and in parallel  mode. On it's own it sounds great but I've played it with a band too and it really has a great bottom end and clarity too.

It's new price is well under the £700 you were wanting to spend. This is a video of the USA version (the Tributes are made in Indonesia).

I had briefly a G & L L2000 Tribute but the neck was too chunky and it had a fault on the active tone controls .. if I recall when you turned the bass tone the volume went off !! Wiring was faulty I guess.. I sent it back and got my Pbass

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Have you thought about a jazz , or is the nut too narrow, my P was my go to bass for years but now I prefer jazzes, it’s nice to have both 🙂

Never played a Jazz so not sure I would like the slimmer neck compared to the PBass which seems about right 

Im not so keen on the Jazz body shape either and prefer the traditional PBass body shape 

3 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Never played a Jazz so not sure I would like the slimmer neck compared to the PBass which seems about right 

Im not so keen on the Jazz body shape either and prefer the traditional PBass body shape 

They definitely feel and sound different BA, if you’re anywhere near me you’re welcome to borrow one to try 👍

17 minutes ago, ped said:

Really you need a P, J and a MM 🤫

With bodies in Alder, Ash, Maple, Mahogany, Bubinga... give me a minute and I'll think of more

9 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Ignore everyone above, you clearly need a Fretless Precision :)

With fingerboards in Maple, Pau ferro, Ebony, Wenge... give me a minute and I'll think of more

;)  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BassAdder27 said:

I had briefly a G & L L2000 Tribute but the neck was too chunky and it had a fault on the active tone controls .. if I recall when you turned the bass tone the volume went off !! Wiring was faulty I guess.. I sent it back and got my Pbass

You should have given it to me.... 😲!!!!!

2 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

"Never played a Jazz..."

9 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

for my second bass should I get a PBass with a different neck say maple ? 

Or get something very different?

I own two bass guitars, both Precisions, both with flats.  So if I were you, I'd go for another flavour of P bass!

25 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Another vote for a PJ.

I love the idea of P/Js, but despite lots of experimentation in practice and rehearsal, in live and recording situations I always end up using the P-PUP only. It's perhaps a function of the music I play and the ideal sound in my head of course, but I find the back J-PUP far more useful when it can be blended with another J-PUP than when blended with a P-PUP. Only exception for me has been on fretless perhaps, when a solo'd back J-PUP can come into its own (all my opinion of course).  

You could trade in the existing P and with the cash buy a higher spec P bass. Or have a Jazz pup fitted at the bridge. Or get one of the Fender Japanese Boxer basses which look amazing. Or get a stonkingly good second hand amp for that cash. 

Seriously, I like the idea of having one bass that you love and sticking with it. OK, OK, I've got six basses, but if I need to record anything I always get out the fretless Kramer I've had for near 20 years, whether the recording needs fretless or not. It's by far the cheapest and "lowest quality" bass I have, it's just "me" on record. 

If you really need a spare and your current P is your number 1 forever then go for Vintage, Squier or Harley Benton P or PJ as a backup.