Why become a member? ×

Status Hotwire and other Tapewounds

TheGreek

I already have a set of the Status Hotwire Tapewounds on my Silk Bass but that's the only strings I've ever used on it so I didn't have anything to compare them to, other than knowing they were amazing.

I recently moved to 5 string and been playing, pretty much exclusively, my Yamaha BB5GS wearing (red silk) .130 roundwounds which to be fair are a bit tired and grubby (the way it arrived).

I've had several 4 string sets of Status Tapewounds lying about for a while waiting to be used. Going through basses as I do, I've been reluctant to fit them to just about anything, however knowing that the strings on the Yamaha really needed to be replaced I contacted Dawn at Status who found me the low B to turn a 4 string set into a 5 string set (40-120). They arrived the following morning and I fitted them earlier to the BB5GS - WOW!! What a difference!!

The tone is immense - huge bass and warm, cappuccino mids and highs - I think this is what I've been hearing inside my head when I was looking for that "ideal tonal package". As well as the amazing tone package, comes that super smooth feeling that Tapewounds provide, the Status tension is "just right"  - no floppy low B - which seems to be something of contention with similar brands. 

Remember that (when in stock) Status Tapewounds sell for under £20 and they are known to outlast rounds so from a financial POV they make complete sense. From a tonal perspective those of us seeking phat, soulful tones with a nod to double bass will love these.

Highly recommended - bearing in mind that they are Out of Stock at Status. IIRC they were made for Status by Picato so you may still be able to pick up a set from eBay or Amazon.

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 2

Thanks for this! I'm looking to try tapewounds for the first time on my VM Jazz but having never played with anything other than nickel roundwounds I wasn't sure where to begin. They actually seem really hard to find - you mention that they're sold out at Status but I've not found much on Thomann, PMT or elsewhere.

At £20 for a set I'd love to give these a try, as the only ones I've really found so far have been really steep!

I've placed an order for a set of Warwick 40-100 Tapewounds plus a single .120 to make the 5 set from Thomann. Out of stock currently but I'm advised next week.

The Tapewounds on my Yamaha have added volume and tone to what was already an amazing bass. Highly recommended!!

Warwick Tapewounds (45-105) - currently £13.90 for a 4 string set

https://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_bass_string_set_045_105.htm

Warwick Tapewounds 40-100 - currently £14.20 (less material but cost more??)

https://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_bass_string_set_040_100.htm

Singles are out of stock but Thomann will order for you for less than direct from Warwick.

Warwick single .120 

Edited by TheGreek
  • Thanks 1

On 14/05/2021 at 20:45, TheGreek said:

Warwick Tapewounds (45-105) - currently £13.90 for a 4 string set

https://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_bass_string_set_045_105.htm

Warwick Tapewounds 40-100 - currently £14.20 (less material but cost more??)

https://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_bass_string_set_040_100.htm

Singles are out of stock but Thomann will order for you for less than direct from Warwick.

Warwick single .120 

Sorry didn't see this! Thanks for linking these, I did have a look on Thomann but wasn't having much luck. I probably skipped over these as they don't have "tapewound" in the title, and seemed Warwick-specific! I'll get a set on order!

Would it be worth going for a slightly lighter gauge, as the tape adds a bit extra to the diameter? I'm thinking about the nut slots on my Jazz

My order arrived yesterday. I haven't actually fitted them yet but I don't expect any issues. The Status Tapewounds I use fit without any issue - the dimensions refer to the exterior of the tapewound NOT the interior string.