Why become a member? ×

Bands you once hated but are now coming round to

3 hours ago, ubit said:

Yup, this is me. I also love finding new music. Youtube has suggested some good ones.

Sometimes I have a time when I am playing along to something on youtube, then it suggests something else, so I play along to that, and just end up following it all down the rabbit hole.

• Like 2

As I'm Modding the Forum, I get to see many, many topics and posts, often enough with some musical recommendation or other. There's not enough hours in the day to really listen to 'em all, or even a selection, but there are times where either the post is particularly appealing, or I've a few minutes 'spare' while my tea cools or whatever. In this fashion, I've come across a few real gems that I would never have met in any other way, and maybe just as many that I can't believe anyone would spend even a few seconds on. On occasion, I've even gone as far as to make a remark along those lines; this obviously curries no favours with other Posters, but that's Forums for you..!
My only other source of new listening is France Musique, a 24/7 'classical' national music station. I say 'classical', as there are often enough 'jazz' pieces played. I have this on with an hour's timer when dropping off to sleep; sometimes I'll hear a few minutes, at other times I'll re-set the timer as I'm still awake when it turns off. I hear no 'pop music at all, and miss none of it, as the few brief snippets I come across inspire me not one jot.
Oh, yes, another source would be the monthly Composition Challenge, whereby I'll listen to (sometimes several times over...) the entries. These are very varied in genre, but are, for the most part, of high compositional quality. I'm excepting, naturally, those that turn out to be EDM 'head-bangers'; these do not get a second spin..! -_-

On 12/05/2021 at 11:33, uk_lefty said:

I used to hate the Police. My uncle years back bought me a "best of" for my birthday and I didn't listen to it for ages. Then when I did I really heard the quality of the lyrics, songwriting, everything. I love the Police now. 

+1 for this. When the Police first appeared, 'chronic' was the politest term I could think of. The Stranglers, the Clash, the Adverts, Ultravox!, Blondie and the Boomtown Rats were my bag at the time.

But since last summer I've been having lessons in singing while playing bass and I've got on top of two Police songs - Every Breath You Take and Roxanne - and I've realised just how good they were. If only I could put the clock back...

• Like 1

On 29/05/2021 at 20:46, MHMSWC#03 said:

Same here. I could easily punch Rod Stewart in the face for no particular reason. But he'd probably say the same about me if he read this.

Classic early Rod Stewart vocals on this track.

A lot of people tend to forget the stuff RS did with bands in his earlier years, just listen to Jeff Beck Group and the Faces, proper good time rock bands.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Manwithvan said:

No-one has fessed up to this bad judgment yet, but as a teenager in the early 70s I hated Motown.

At the time I believe I thought Deep Purple were at the embodiment of good taste.

Wrong on both counts.

I ignored Motown, though I didn’t hate it

nowadays I totally realise how awesome it and stax were 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I ignored Motown, though I didn’t hate it

nowadays I totally realise how awesome it and stax were 

Stax 👍,  60s Motown 👎. Never cared for the 60s era of Motown as it seemed to me to be as manufactured and formulaic as anything Stock, Aitken and Waterman ever put out. After all, didn't Berry Gordy get his inspiration from the Detroit car manufacturing industry? Things got much better with Barratt-Strong when things got funkier and the lyrics moved away from the Baby Love kinda stuff. Stax stuff always felt more organic and less produced.