Why become a member? ×

Bands you once hated but are now coming round to

9 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Not too sure he doesn't believe his own hype...

Back in the late 90s I was working at BBC Elstree when Top Of The Pops was filmed there. One week Bon Jovi were due to appear; and it seems they insisted that they had exclusive access to both the canteen and bar over lunchtime. As a result, 500 or so staff had to traipse up to Borehamwood High Street to get any food.

This was the only time while I was there that anything like this happened. I remember once going for my lunch wearing my habitual bike leathers and Guzzi logo belt. A big American bloke came over and we started chatting about bikes - he was a Guzzi fan too. Turned out it was Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age... Can't imagine JBG doing that!

JBG may have been a 90s Diva (weren't they all?) - but there are more than a few stories of his philanthropy thesedays.

Josh Homme's a bit of a pillock, and he's done some awful things.

I used to hate a lot of Grunge on the grounds that it was popular at school. I am now happy to give most of it a try if they aren't already on my 'enjoy quite a lot list,' which plenty of them are. Still don't like Jane's Addiction though - what is it?!

12 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

The Smiths, I hated them when they first came out, went to see them on their first tour (only because we had guest tickets) and only stayed for about 5 songs, ignored them for 10 years or more, mellowed slightly, quite liked a few songs for a bit......didn't listen to them again for a while, played a few songs recently and decided young me was correct and they are pants!

I absolutely love The Smiths. I thought they were kinda meh when I first heard them but the musicianship is superb Listen to the bass in This Charming Man or What Difference Does It Make. That and Marrs excellent guitar riffs turned me into a big fan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubit said:

I absolutely love The Smiths. I thought they were kinda meh when I first heard them but the musicianship is superb Listen to the bass in This Charming Man or What Difference Does It Make. That and Marrs excellent guitar riffs turned me into a big fan.

As a teenager I was well into The Smiths, Joy Division, Echo and the Bunnymen etc big time. Now I look back and think but why? Mind you, I still continue to play the Jesus and Mary Chain and House of Love. Viz the Smiths, I still like the bass lines though.

15 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

The Smiths, I hated them when they first came out, went to see them on their first tour (only because we had guest tickets) and only stayed for about 5 songs, ignored them for 10 years or more, mellowed slightly, quite liked a few songs for a bit......didn't listen to them again for a while, played a few songs recently and decided young me was correct and they are pants!

I never understood the gushing praise so called intelligent people gave them. How could people listen to that whining monotonous voice mouthing lyrics that sounded like they were written by a 6 year old. 
The band was probably ok, but it needed a decent singer and an adult song writer. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 12/05/2021 at 12:43, Reggaebass said:

Not hated but I never had anything to do with ABBA back in the day, but now I don’t mind the occasional track, there’s some really challenging basslines on some of their music 

Yeah, I didn't appreciate them in the 70s. Grew to appreciate their talent in the 80s & 90s. Sick to the back teeth of them in the 2000s.🤮.

They are clearly very talented. The songs and records are very well crafted. But, Mama Mia (the movie)... Why???? (rhetorical question)

• Like 2

Oh Jeez. Let's get on w/ the "eclectic tastes"  topic. So, being from NEW JERSEY USA, I can't stand the likes of BonJovi or Bruce Springsteen. Now. Full disclosioure. The woman I am dating is the daughter of the gym teacher that taught J Bongiovi (real spelling back in Sayreville NJ) and mentions him in a song (Hey Coach T., I finally cut my hair) I admire the man&band but his music SUCKS, Same w/ Bruce. ( I went out w/ a girl that was enamored w/ the bastard 'cause he says WENDY 3 TIMES in BTR-her name was Wendy and he didn't know who she was) But I admire Bruce Springsteen. Just can't stand the music. Really. REALLY. I have tried. Watched the EPIC  P.ERFORMANCES. WITH THE HAT. DON'T GET IT.

Edited by StickyDBRmf

1 hour ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Oh Jeez. Let's get on w/ the "eclectic tastes"  topic. So, being from NEW JERSEY USA, I can't stand the likes of BonJovi or Bruce Springsteen. Now. Full disclosioure. The woman I am dating is the daughter of the gym teacher that taught J Bongiovi (real spelling back in Sayreville NJ) and mentions him in a song (Hey Coach T., I finally cut my hair) I admire the man&band but his music SUCKS, Same w/ Bruce. ( I went out w/ a girl that was enamored w/ the bastard 'cause he says WENDY 3 TIMES in BTR-her name was Wendy and he didn't know who she was) But I admire Bruce Springsteen. Just can't stand the music. Really. REALLY. I have tried. Watched the EPIC  P.ERFORMANCES. WITH THE HAT. DON'T GET IT.

Bruce's main crime against music is that he inspired John 'Cougar' Mellencamp

15 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Dillinger Escape Plan are clearly the best band from NJ!

• Like 2

I absolutely detested the Smiths back in the day. Thought Morrissey was a complete knob and the music was simplistic rubbish. Fast-forward to now and I really quite like them -- I can appreciate the music for what it is, well-crafted and extremely well-played (although Morrissey is an even bigger knob now though). But perhaps I'd better keep that opinion to myself, or otherwise... 

On 13/05/2021 at 10:20, Cliff Edge said:

I never understood the gushing praise so called intelligent people gave them 

...people will think I'm obviously not intelligent. 🙄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich said:

I absolutely detested the Smiths back in the day. Thought Morrissey was a complete knob and the music was simplistic rubbish. Fast-forward to now and I really quite like them -- I can appreciate the music for what it is, well-crafted and extremely well-played (although Morrissey is an even bigger knob now though). But perhaps I'd better keep that opinion to myself, or otherwise... 

...people will think I'm obviously not intelligent. 🙄

I want to like The Smiths, Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke make a very good sound to my ears, but I just can’t abide Morrissey’s voice. I’ve tried, I’ve really tried, but I just can’t do it. I finally got over Geddy’s weird vocal style to the point where I’m a big Rush fan (especially their ‘80s & ‘90s output) but Morrissey can go and do one. 

On 12/05/2021 at 11:31, Lozz196 said:

Wham, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, pretty much all of the early 80s bands. Being a schoolboy punk at the time this music was a personal affront to me, how closed-minded I was!

I’m a bit like this. I was 19-20 when New Romantic stuff came on the scene, hated it all. 
Recently saw a documentary on Spandau Ballet which changed my mind about them as I got to hear more of their material, which was surprisingly enjoyable.

Although Gary Kemp appeared to be a bit of a nob in the end (albeit a very rich one) with his “actor” persona and faux posh voice, the rest seemed to retain their north London roots. Martin Kemp was a better player than I had assumed too. 

I'd say oasis. In fact most of that era indie rock. I was in my teens at this point and I was into Steve vai and Mr Big, so oasis just want fir me. Fast forward 20 years and I've got many of their albums and really enjoy them! 

Probably says more about my attitude when I was younger more than now 

On 13/05/2021 at 19:02, StickyDBRmf said:

Springsteen's greatest era was 1973 -1985 (imo) from "Tunnel of Love" onwards, I don't think he's made a great album. Maybe it's because he's getting older and the characters he once wrote about don't appeal to him anymore, but I don't hear any great songwriting or passion in his output since.

On 12/05/2021 at 12:43, Reggaebass said:

Not hated but I never had anything to do with ABBA back in the day, but now I don’t mind the occasional track, there’s some really challenging basslines on some of their music 

Have a look at the baseline to Fernando. Right up the dusty end that one.

Legend has it there are two types of people. Those who like ABBA and those who tell lies. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, ezbass said:

I want to like The Smiths, Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke make a very good sound to my ears, but I just can’t abide Morrissey’s voice. I’ve tried, I’ve really tried, but I just can’t do it. I finally got over Geddy’s weird vocal style to the point where I’m a big Rush fan (especially their ‘80s & ‘90s output) but Morrissey can go and do one. 

Same here, I used to really hate the smiths, but now I really like their music when morisey isn't singing, the songs are really well put together, the basslines are fun to play and Marrs guitar work is excellent, but morissey just ruins it for me.

• Like 1

I hesitate to say it, especially on here, but I've recently started getting right into Level 42.

Something a bit more sayable in public is that I've really fallen in love with Dr Feelgood. It's one of those where I feel sad that it took me so long. I think Wilko used to irritate me which is why it took a while. 

Edited by Horrorhiker

8 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Same here, I used to really hate the smiths, but now I really like their music when morisey isn't singing, the songs are really well put together, the basslines are fun to play and Marrs guitar work is excellent, but morissey just ruins it for me.

My wifes favorite band is the Smiths and it's always been a running joke here. I do impressions of a thick throated Morrissey trying to fit 2 too many words into every line reguarly. 

However,  there was a Morrissey solo album left in the car once and now I really like some of his solo stuff a lot. First of the Gang to Die is superb imo. Much as it pains me. 

18 minutes ago, Horrorhiker said:

My wifes favorite band is the Smiths and it's always been a running joke here. I do impressions of a thick throated Morrissey trying to fit 2 too many words into every line reguarly. 

However,  there was a Morrissey solo album left in the car once and now I really like some of his solo stuff a lot. First of the Gang to Die is superb imo. Much as it pains me. 

I'm the same, like a lot of Morrisey's solo stuff I think it's because he's singing in tune instead of wailing (a 3rd higher?)

I really like the songs the Smiths did with Sandie Shaw, says it all really, 

7 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I'm the same, like a lot of Morrisey's solo stuff I think it's because he's singing in tune instead of wailing (a 3rd higher?)

I really like the songs the Smiths did with Sandie Shaw, says it all really, 

Yes there's something about his solo stuff which is a bit more...conventional? Which while not in every case, is better in this one imo. A lot of the stuff is really catchy and powerful. 

Also re The Smiths it's amusing to see so many folks who live in Smiths T Shirts furiously back pedal whenever Mozza puts his foot in it in interviews. 

Edited by Horrorhiker

• 2 weeks later...