Why become a member? ×

Bands you once hated but are now coming round to

For many years I used to really dislike the Red Hot Chili Peppers. But ever since joining Talking Bass I've been learning all the Flea lines Mark Smith's put up and actually now like many RHCP tracks like the (better than the original ) cover of Higher Ground, Dark Necessities, Behind the Sun, Venice Queen Suck My Kiss, Sir Psycho Sexy, Subway to Venus... Still can't stand Californication and Give It Away though. And the moral of  the story?  Don't write anything off for good and always keep your mind open as you'll never know when your brain will suddenly do an about turn. Then again I'm still waiting to hear anything I like from  KISS and ELO.

Edited by Barking Spiders

I used to hate the Police. My uncle years back bought me a "best of" for my birthday and I didn't listen to it for ages. Then when I did I really heard the quality of the lyrics, songwriting, everything. I love the Police now. 

Others: Springsteen (before I understood Born in the USA properly, now I love Springsteen and a lot of his albums and have seen him live), Bon Jovi I'm warming to though think some of his songs are lame copies of "the formula" 

• Like 1

Jazz.

Always loved Blues but considered Jazz a load of noodling toss. Then, in my early 20's, I worked at one of the big HMV's in London on the Specialities floor (Blues/Jazz/Easy Listening/World Music/Soundtracks, etc) and was exposed to quite a few different forms of Jazz and really got into a lot of them.

Now I have quite a few Jazz albums and enjoy them very much when the mood takes me. 

• Like 1

I'm rather 'allergic' to the works of Offenbach, but did enjoy a recent programme featuring 'The Tales Of Hoffmann', with the famous duet. It's rather the exception, though; I still don't like the previous stuff he composed. :|

I have only ever listened to a narrow spectrum of music, so my tastes haven't changed much in the last 50 years or so. 

Right now, I am having my first listen to the latest CD release from the Grateful Dead archives. It is a live recording from 1973. Sounds wonderful to my ears. I can't imagine listening to something I don't already know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uk_lefty said:

I used to hate the Police. My uncle years back bought me a "best of" for my birthday and I didn't listen to it for ages. Then when I did I really heard the quality of the lyrics, songwriting, everything. I love the Police now. 

Others: Springsteen (before I understood Born in the USA properly, now I love Springsteen and a lot of his albums and have seen him live), Bon Jovi I'm warming to though think some of his songs are lame copies of "the formula" 

I still don't like anything by Bon Jovi I've heard but feel a bit bad about it as John BG is actually a pretty decent bloke.

Prog's still something of a long lived pet hate but I do have Yes's 90125 on CD and for the first time I like Jon Anderson's vocals, though prog die-hards will say it's not a prog album and I can't really disagree. Also I think Discipline by King Crimson is a cracker though it's got more in common with Talking Heads ( a long term fave of mine) than all the previous stuff

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

as John BG is actually a pretty decent bloke

Not too sure he doesn't believe his own hype...

Back in the late 90s I was working at BBC Elstree when Top Of The Pops was filmed there. One week Bon Jovi were due to appear; and it seems they insisted that they had exclusive access to both the canteen and bar over lunchtime. As a result, 500 or so staff had to traipse up to Borehamwood High Street to get any food.

This was the only time while I was there that anything like this happened. I remember once going for my lunch wearing my habitual bike leathers and Guzzi logo belt. A big American bloke came over and we started chatting about bikes - he was a Guzzi fan too. Turned out it was Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age... Can't imagine JBG doing that!

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Back in the late 90s I was working at BBC Elstree when Top Of The Pops was filmed there. One week Bon Jovi were due to appear; and it seems they insisted that they had exclusive access to both the canteen and bar over lunchtime. As a result, 500 or so staff had to traipse up to Borehamwood High Street to get any food.

This was the only time while I was there that anything like this happened. I remember once going for my lunch wearing my habitual bike leathers and Guzzi logo belt. A big American bloke came over and we started chatting about bikes - he was a Guzzi fan too. Turned out it was Josh Homme from Queens of the Stone Age... Can't imagine JBG doing that!

When they said they wanted their own canteen... Coronavirus: Jon Bon Jovi washes dishes at restaurant for the needy (planetradio.co.uk) 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I hate it when you hear of stars/famous people behaving like this. A mate of mine does film extra work and says the difference in some of the “names” is astounding, with some being happy to queue up for the same meal as the extras get then sit with them to eat it, compared with others who they’re not allowed to speak to or even make eye contact with. 

4 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Wham, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, pretty much all of the early 80s bands. Being a schoolboy punk at the time this music was a personal affront to me, how closed-minded I was!

This. I used to slag Duran Duran off for being pop. Little did I realise what pop would become and a band that played their own instruments and wrote their own songs would become rare in the charts. I now have all of their albums.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was in getting a hair cut today and the Turkish barber was commenting on the music that was playing. I said I like pretty much all kinds of music but it was a tangled web of lies as I just can't do with hip hop/rap apart from Tupac.

First one I can recall hating was Supertramp. Dreamer used to drive me mad. Fast forward about 5 years & an about turn after buying Breakfast In America I ended up buying Crime of the Century complete with Dreamer. I still love the album & song now.

Also from the late 70s I couldn't bear anything by Madness. That was until I saw them at Glastonbury in 1986. It completely changed my view & I have seen them about 10 times since.

51 minutes ago, ubit said:

This. I used to slag Duran Duran off for being pop. Little did I realise what pop would become and a band that played their own instruments and wrote their own songs would become rare in the charts. I now have all of their albums.

Yep, sadly too. When Little Mix win best British group, you know all hope is gone. I'm not being a snob here as I have Dua Lipa's Future Nostalgia and it was good to see it win best album, ditto The Weeknd for best international artist. But Little Mix?! Bring back the Spice Girls! As for 80s British pop, looking back it was a golden age though TBH I always had time for a few tunes by DD, Spandau, Wham and Simply Red.

3 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Ha! I was just going to post this! (I am not a Bon Jovi fan but it popped up on my FB last week). I spent the latter part of the '80's listening to supreme dictator Axl Rose telling us Bon Jovi were a bunch of faggots etc etc.

Edited by MHMSWC#03

The Smiths, I hated them when they first came out, went to see them on their first tour (only because we had guest tickets) and only stayed for about 5 songs, ignored them for 10 years or more, mellowed slightly, quite liked a few songs for a bit......didn't listen to them again for a while, played a few songs recently and decided young me was correct and they are pants!

• Thanks 3