Why become a member? ×

End of my Rope

Would you continue to play bass if?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Given these conditions would you continue trying to play bass?

• yes
    • maybe
    • no

If you can't hear intervals that well, so what. People aren't born knowing them, and it often takes work to become good. It's something that you can gradually improve upon. Think baby steps, then there's no mountain to climb.

Personally I don't aim to be the best bassist there is because it's never going to happen and it's not important anyway, I just aim to become the best that I can and to enjoy myself along the way.

The problem with a lot of people is that it's always tempting to compare with someone else (don't take too much notice of social media, kids. Full of fake and carefully pruned lives), and they feel demotivated because there is always someone 'better'.You may see people who seem to be good, but you won't see all the hard work and pain that they've gone through to get there, and it can give the impression as if it's come naturally to them.

Good luck.

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 1

It's not a case of "can't hear them well", I can't hear them at all, & there's been no improvement, even with focused exercises.

This is the part that absolutely no one can relate to, so I guess I should stop bringing it up. 

I don't get that bothered by others being good at playing, except in one case where I sold my last guitar after listening to the local luthier make it sound like I never could.

I haven't played since Saturday, thanks to my arm, but I'm about to play this morning.

My frustration is from my own playing & thinking "Why am I even attempting this anymore?!"

2 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

My frustration is from my own playing & thinking "Why am I even attempting this anymore?!"

If that is actually starting to get you down, perhaps it is time for a rethink after all. If it doesn't bring you any kind of satisfaction whatsoever, what's the point? Only you know the real answer here and no amount of cajoling and positive vibes from us in the BC community will change that, at lest certainly long term. Do you like playing at all, or does it fill you with self loathing? If the latter, pack it in and do something else; life's too short.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you are struggling @KbD.  

For what it is worth, I think a big part of the reason many of play is about identity. Do you think of yourself as a bass player? Or would you like to? Everything that comes with it - the sense of having an identity, membership of some kind of group (whether thats a band or a internet forum!)  etc is important to lots of us. If you have that, or want it, keep playing. The good thing is that it is a very easy club to join and no one can kick you out. I spend more time reading about bloody speaker excursion than playing bass at the moment, but I still think of myself as a bass player and it is actually part of how I see myself. I have pretty crappy technique and a very bad ear but it doesn't mean I should quit. 

If you're not bothered about that - or just don't get what I mean - then maybe let your gut be your guide my friend. That said, I do believe there is something inherently beneficial about playing music os I'd say stick with it unless it is making you miserable. Learn a new line, or a new scale and you will soon get a little hit of dopamine :)

Wishing you well, Doug

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ezbass said:

If that is actually starting to get you down, perhaps it is time for a rethink after all. If it doesn't bring you any kind of satisfaction whatsoever, what's the point? Only you know the real answer here and no amount of cajoling and positive vibes from us in the BC community will change that, at lest certainly long term. Do you like playing at all, or does it fill you with self loathing? If the latter, pack it in and do something else; life's too short.

This.  No-one has a gun to your head.  If it isn't fun, stop tormenting yourself and try something else that is.

• Like 1

Can you tell if you are in tune with something you are playing along with?

No shame in using tab rather than working out by ear, but play along to songs and try and focus on making your playing and the original 'merge together'. This is easier with stuff with clear, undistorted basslines and simple melodies e.g. country,. rock'n'roll, blues.

Try playing simple, riffs.

Play one riff over and again, and then  stop and try and 'play' it in your head.

Then try and play along to the sound in your head.

I learned what major and minor triads sound like that way, by treating them as three-note riffs, and when it clicked it was liberating.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I don't get that bothered by others being good at playing, except in one case where I sold my last guitar after listening to the local luthier make it sound like I never could.

I think I ever went like that I wouldn't have anything, there is always going to be someone better. But you know, you can either accept they play better and not worry, or you could accidently drop a hod full of bricks on their hand. Then whos the best player, huh, huh? :D

• Haha 1

Well, it's done. I played for about 20 minutes this morning & HERE comes the PAIN in my forearm again, but also the figurative torment from stumbling through one of Terence Butler's brilliant arrangements.

Spent the next 20 minutes adjusting the truss-rods & reinstalling the truss-rod cover before driving to Guitar-Center to Sell Up.

Full story at the end, I did retain the u-bass & my amp, for kara-okay night.

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Can you tell if you are in tune with something you are playing along with?

Sad anecdote time: Once I wondered why my 4th string sounded so dull in comparison to the other 3.

It finally dawned on me that it had been tuned Drop-D all week & I only figured it out after thinking the string was kaput.

Another time I was delivered a nice pre-owned G&L Comanche that I played for a week before realizing it was about half a step sharp the whole time.

3 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

when it clicked it was liberating.

I never once had a click like that, my epitomes were always the exact opposite, I feel like Stevie Wonder trying to understand the difference between blue & yellow.

4 hours ago, funkydoug said:

Do you think of yourself as a bass player? Or would you like to? Everything that comes with it - the sense of having an identity, membership of some kind of group (whether thats a band or a internet forum!)  etc is important to lots of us. If you have that, or want it, keep playing. The good thing is that it is a very easy club to join and no one can kick you out.

It did get taken away on the infamous talkbASS, but I'll have to admit I made it difficult for them to tolerate me. I am obsessive-compulsive to a fault!

After getting knocked off there I realized that's why I was 'playing bass', so I could be in the group, but like Groucho said: "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."

4 hours ago, ezbass said:

it doesn't bring you any kind of satisfaction whatsoever, what's the point? Only you know the real answer here and no amount of cajoling and positive vibes from us in the BC community will change that, at lest certainly long term. Do you like playing at all, or does it fill you with self loathing?

Yes on the self-loathing. I'd estimate the frustration/joy ratio at 70/30

I've been trying to play since 2012 & not sure why I even started now. I told my cousin if they ever made a game like Rock Band that could use REAL instruments I'd start playing.

So when Rocksmith came out with bass expansion pack, I was in!

They say if you won't buy that stock share today, you should sell it, and given what I know now, I would never have started playing in 2012.

I assembled all the best stuff (for my needs), the most comfortable lightweight bass, a great-sounding amp, but there I was back to where the rubber meets the road, developing skills, which I can't seem to do.

For years I was caught up the technical aspect & was modding my own instruments & things, anything to divert from actually playing the bloody things.

This time I'm going to follow through & stop posting on the forums.

Some bands entire catalogs were ruined for me:

AC/DC

Judas Priest

almost all Sisters of Mercy

My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult

Maybe I can get back to enjoying them after I forget that their bass arrangements could be done by a computer.

• Sad 2

Argh!

I'm still not done telling the story, LOL!

I was happy yesterday afternoon, still am really. I got 28% more than I expected & probably more than I've have made if I'd gone through the torture of selling them privately.

Took the Gator Transit gigbag over to Sam Ash to pay for my petrol. At first glance the kid says $15 (they're over $100 USD new). I walked out cursing & the manager chased me out. I thought she was gonna tell me to sod-off & never come back, for cursing like that, but instead she asked me to get a better look at it. Offered enough to pay for my petrol and lunch, so off we go with a full belly & a smile.

re: the cursing, I thought I was out of earshot, but unsure

Today I'm cleaning up & have zero interested buyers for my extremely discounted strings & straps. I would probably never have been able to sell those two basses locally, there's just no market for stuff here.

I probably got lucky that the guy at Guitar Center is an Ibanez bass owner, but he recommended I check out DingWall. No mate, can't you see I'm selling up?! I didn't actually say anything, except that they sound fantastic.

I removed most of the Heavy Metal, Punk, & Goth from my Rocksmith songlist, now it's just Pop drivel with the occasional popular Punk or Heavy Metal, like "I Wanna Be Sedated" & "You've Got Another Thing Coming".

Now it's going to look like I'm chatting with myself, but maybe this will be my last entry for a while, until I have a question about u-bass...

Spent some time today wrangling up the accessories, & completely forgot about the Ibanez gigbag & multitool under my bed, LOL!

Sold everything cheap, only thing that remains is the gigbag & multitool, which I'm selling to a late-shift worker in the morning.

Have a good weekend!

still clearing stuff out, I have a few parts I've been trying to give away for days

I know 1 guy who will likely want them, but he's incommunicado since the weekend.

Unsubscribing from eMails that remind me today.

Here's how bad it is to try to sell gear or gear accessories in my area. I sold it all over the weekend, but yesterday I got two responses from ads I mistakenly left up.

So it takes DAYS to get a single interested party on a deeply discounted item. Amazing!

I figure it's best I go out on my own terms here, instead of being a sarcastic knob to all & sundry like I did you-know-where, LOL!

Have you still kept the little acoustic bass above ?.. If so I'd just leave it permanently in the living room, and maybe when watching tv or something you'll find you want to just have a noodle around on it...no pressure...not trying to achieve anything...just for fun, maybe play along to tv show themes, or just meander ! ... When you've had enough, put it down again.. Just a thought 👍

• Like 1

I can never play along to anything by ear, which is part of the reason I quit. Maybe the largest part.

I kept the u-bass & was playing a few arrangements on it last night, just for fun, no amp. All my instruments were hanged in the living-room, now the u-bass is just above the TV directly across from me.

We used to do kara-okay bass, me on bass, someone else on vocals, but haven't in a while.

Reading takes up the space I that used to be occupied by fumbling on the bass. I was just reading on the back porch.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I can never play along to anything by ear, which is part of the reason I quit. Maybe the largest part.

I kept the u-bass & was playing a few arrangements on it last night, just for fun, no amp. All my instruments were hanged in the living-room, now the u-bass is just above the TV directly across from me.

We used to do kara-okay bass, me on bass, someone else on vocals, but haven't in a while.

Reading takes up the space I that used to be occupied by fumbling on the bass. I was just reading on the back porch.

I'm glad you kept it, it's good to have an instrument or two just around in case you fancy a go at any time !  I've got an old piano, that was a local freebie ( it was "interesting" wheeling it down the road with two mates to get it home!).  I've no intention of learning to play it properly, but it's nice to have around, as I'll sometimes mess about playing simple little songs, xmas carols, music hall ( vaudeville to you yanks !) tunes whatever, I probably haven't touched it for a month or more but good to have for whenever..  also makes a good bookshelf and the cats like climbing on it too !    The Karoke thing sounds great fun, you should do some more :)

• Like 1

I realized several months ago that it's more fun to play with live vocals, but having a $1k USD+ instrument around for that was such overkill.

Doing a few riffs now & again, same thing. With the u-bass I can step out onto the back porch & run through a medley of riffs & then just put it back, which is exactly what I did with the full-on electric bass & amp, but it's just more difficult dragging the amp out there & getting power to it.

Having that expensive bass was akin to a new driver in a Porsche.

The great thing about Rocksmith is that it shows me the riff & it shows the vocalist the lyrics:

not my bass or playing

It's like paint-by-numbers for stringed-instruments.

• Like 1

Cool ! The thing is to arrive at what works and is fun for You.. The U bass sounds like it's just the thing for what you want to do ( I actually quite like the idea of one myself now!). It's always good to try a whole bunch of different stuff before you come to a final conclusion.

• Like 1

This is why I dislike the 'buy it' mentality that goes along with any discussion of gear. I fell into that with the Rickenbacker 4004 & IIRC only ONE person commented not to buy it "just because it's there"

There's no changing that 'culture' however, some people just have to justify collecting large amounts of gear.

Here's where I moan about it.

Apologies if I’ve missed it in the thread, but, have you been out and found a really great teacher yet? 

Everything you have mentioned in the thread has been at least one of my students over even just the last ten years of teaching.. many of them were saying the same thing.

it sounds like you need some 1-2-1 with a patient understanding teacher who knows their stuff.

Good luck, I hope that you are reunited with the joy of playing music.

Edited by Dood