Why become a member? ×

End of my Rope

Would you continue to play bass if?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Given these conditions would you continue trying to play bass?

• yes
    • maybe
    • no

Over the past week I've considered & reconsidered starting this thread.

However, it was in my mind as the "'I'm finally quitting for good this time!" thread.

I started playing bass in 2012. My hobbies up until then included reading sci-fi novels & watching a LOT of television, LOL!

My original goal was to entertain myself with tasty licks, but I've never been able to do that for more than a few minutes.

The last time I laid out this much information about myself my pal Jimmy Miller pounced on the chance to ridicule my state of mind & yet I'm the guy who gets accused of trolling.

So, you can understand why I'm hesitant. Perhaps down here in Technique there are fewer folks like him.

conditions:

*tone-deaf: unable to distinguish intervals

no support from anyone, including family

unable to improvise or form bass-arrangements

* this part is huge, it's a handicap of epic proportions for a person trying to play Music, I'll never be able to play by ear

As a little more background, lately I've been pruning songs from my play-along list, removed 200 & down to 350. The 200 I removed were boring 'human metronome' songs, you know where the bass player drones away on 3 notes for the whole song or summat.

When I started playing the remainder I'm still pruning & out of 33 songs I've tried, only 7 passed the 'do I enjoy playing this' test.

Songs I do enjoy:

Virgin Prunes - Baby Turns Blue

Duran Duran - Come Undone

Dio - Rainbow in the Dark

Jenny O. - Well OK Honey

Black Sabbath - Country Girl

Ramones - Poison Heart

My bass sits in the corner... some days it gets picked up for an unplugged noodle... very occasionaly when i have the place to my self i use the zoom for a twiddle... its fun! some times it can sit for a few days... nevermind... its an escape, a distraction, something to focus the mind.

Enjoy where ya at... if ya can.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

I took some time away from the internet when I got banned on 'you-know-where' & that's when it hit me square in the face, maybe I don't enjoy playing bass as much as everyone else.

An impromptu plug-in to my PC using a USB interface is fun sometimes, but I run out of material quickly. I suppose I need to spend more time playing the things I enjoy, instead of wading through the murk.

32 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I took some time away from the internet when I got banned on 'you-know-where' & that's when it hit me square in the face, maybe I don't enjoy playing bass as much as everyone else.

An impromptu plug-in to my PC using a USB interface is fun sometimes, but I run out of material quickly. I suppose I need to spend more time playing the things I enjoy, instead of wading through the murk.

This. If it isn’t enjoyable, why do it?

I’ve been playing musical instruments since I was about 8 and at the heart of it, it’s always been for my enjoyment, never as a job. Once I stopped enjoying a particular instrument, I moved to something else. Eventually, I settled on guitar and got to a point where I could hold my own reasonably well. However, I was acutely aware of how much better and natural others (some of them friends or family) were. I eventually got to the point where I wanted to play in bands more, but opportunities to do so, added to the sense that I wasn’t really good enough made me think about changing instrument again. I’d always loved the sound of the bass and was always a much better rhythm guitarist than lead, so the jump to 4 strings wasn’t a difficult decision to make. It turns out that I’m a much better bassist than I am a guitarist (I still play for my own pleasure though) and should’ve jumped ship much earlier. However, for all that, sometimes I’m just not feeling it and don’t play at all (normally coupled with bouts of low mood) but when I come back, it’s always fun and a sign that my mood is improving. My point is, if playing your ever gives you enjoyment, keep on doing it. It’s nice to improve, but having that as your only goal is potentially self defeating. Play for enjoyment and improvement will come through mileage. Sort out your playing priorities and go from there.

• Like 3

My enjoy/abhor ratio is under 25%, but I could easily change that my just playing stuff I enjoy, however...

that list might end up being so short that I get bored of it quickly.

What taxes my brain is that I should love every bass-arrangement Terence Butler ever wrote, but I can't.

At least he rarely does the human metronome schtick.

Dee Dee Ramone penned some great songs, but he was a human metronome, LOL!

zjd7MXvirgg3QUzBNM_yR8C5WvElfAhwkYBFHo4Q

in my mind, I'd like to be able to just come up with bass-arrangements like this, I could entertain myself that way:

Obviously only you know what you get from playing bass but it can always be frustrating for anyone even without your issues. We also all go through phases where we don't want to play an instrument. For me I didn't touch the bass for a decade in my 30s-40s.  

However, if you get enjoyment from those 7 songs, it means something, it means there is a large amount of enjoyment to be made from other songs. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

conditions:

*tone-deaf: unable to distinguish intervals

no support from anyone, including family

unable to improvise or form bass-arrangements

* this part is huge, it's a handicap of epic proportions for a person trying to play Music, I'll never be able to play by ear

As a little more background, lately I've been pruning songs from my play-along list, removed 200 & down to 350. The 200 I removed were boring 'human metronome' songs, you know where the bass player drones away on 3 notes for the whole song or summat.

This part kind of jumped out at me. I understand that simple basslines can be boring to play at times but if you feel like you are tone deaf then learning these songs are perfect to help improve your ear. You'll also start to notice reoccurring chord progressions which makes learning other songs easier.

With regards to improvising basslines, one of the best things to do is to sit down with other musicians and just play over some changes. Even something as simple as a 1 or 2 chord vamp, or a Blues, are good ways to start coming up with lines. 

• Like 1

Maybe that's why I have so much trouble learning new songs, I have never ever recognized a chord progression. I'm in no position to join with real Musicians, unless I'm paying them to instruct me.

I tried a few local instructors, six weeks in & I was only mildly better off, so I sufficed with just learning from the book that the instructor insisted I buy.

Music Theory seemed the way forward for improvising, but then I hit the wall of tone-deafness headlong in the 2nd or 3rd lesson.

Edited by Killed_by_Death
fixed the 'other Musicians' statement

7 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Maybe that's why I have so much trouble learning new songs, I have never ever recognized a chord progression. I'm in no position to join with real Musicians, unless I'm paying them to instruct me.

Playing with other musicians doesn't necessarily mean having to play by ear.

To be honest, I don't play (much) on my own, the bass IS boring on its own, but it comes alive when played along with others.

I don't know where you are but now the Covid thing is easing, it may be a good opportunity for playing with others realistically.

• Like 1

My musical background is very different - I don't play by ear at all I only play from sheet music. Learning music in all its aspects is a long journey. In my thirties I started singing lessons - I'd never sung a note prior to that. I had weekly lessons for about 8 years - they stopped when I moved house. The start of the journey was slow, but after a while I suddenly realised I was able to sight read straightforward stuff.

Early 50s and I start to play cello and sax. Because I could read music, that side of things didn't get in the way, but there's a lot of technique learning any instrument and it takes time to get proficient. Latest addition for me is bass. So, reading music not an issue, left hand is very similar to cello, so not too bad, but right hand is more challenging. What is alien is some expectation from my teacher of being able to play from memory with no music and learning without music: I find that really challenging and frustrating as give me the music and it would be much easier for me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I tried a few local instructors, six weeks in & I was only mildly better off, so I sufficed with just learning from the book that the instructor insisted I buy.

Music Theory seemed the way forward for improvising, but then I hit the wall of tone-deafness headlong in the 2nd or 3rd lesson.

Theory can definitely help with improvising because just knowing the notes that are in the chords (or even just their shapes on the neck, up to a point) gives you options of notes that you can safely use. A teacher can definitely help, but noticable improvements can take a while to show, depending on how much you practice the material outside of the lessons.

I'm sure you could find some players who are at a similar level to you who would be happy to practice and jam together?

• Like 1

Learning theory was a dead-end for me, it's like reading about how the animals look on a safari, but never having gone on a safari or ever even seeing photos of these animals.

I'm like Stevie Wonder trying to paint.

I could learn the technical bits, I have a technical mind, but I can't connect the dots to the notes or chords.

People who play in my area that are my age are accomplished Musicians. People at my level are half my age & I don't know them.

I got to know some local musicians, it's all very incestuous, everyone knows everyone, & I was selling bits & bobs I no longer wanted to these folks, & was constantly getting invited to come jam.

It was a train-wreck I don't wish to relive. First I was told to play 3rds or 5th & the only reason I was able to was because I could see the chord sheet on the guitar-player's stand.

They turned my volume down so low that I might as well have just quit right then. No one asked me to come again & of course those invites ceased.

I'm isolated, I knew another bass player from 'that other forum', but he was a gigantic bell-end at the end of the day, came over & diddled the knobs on my Aguilar/Markbass rig w/o asking & then promptly went on the forum to talk trash about my gear, & subtly took a shot at my playing, as well.

7 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Have you tried playing different types or genres of music to what you would normally play, sometimes a change is as good as a rest 🙂

I'm into both genres:

Motörhead

Black Sabbath

but not averse to some Punk or Post-Punk, like Goth

I started looking at Goth when I get in a slump, but it's the same as Heavy Metal in the respect that the bass-player is often a human metronome, LOL!

Maitri's bass-arrangements with Christian Death were cool, but also very simple:

As a measure of how tone-deaf I am, I had to look up the tab for this song, & it's about as complicated at Brother Jacques (Frère Jacques)

Directly related, but an aside, if I take a break, it's like I never saw the instrument before when I start up again.

I feel like I'm in a red lorry, or a yellow one, & it's full of large stones on a steep incline. IF I let off the fuel pedal I'll drift back to the bottom of the mountain.

6 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

bass IS boring on its own, but it comes alive when played along with others.

Year of the Cobra (video above in post-5) are just bass & drums & I love it. If I could just play like her I'd be very happy with myself.

The enthusiasm isn't shared however. I've posted their videos in bass player forums & groups, no one cares. I really can't comprehend, because I think it's fabulous!

No one can related, because everyone else's ears improve as they play. Mine have not, even when I've put effort in at ear-training.

I'm Musically handicapped.

I also knew from the start that the more I post in this thread the more pathetic it seems.

I forgot to add that my previous threads elsewhere were about how to improve my ear, been down that road, & still a dead-end.

Edited by Killed_by_Death
added a bit at the end

Here in the UK I've joined my local branch of 'Rock School' which runs taught sessions for beginners. I'm in the adult class. Maybe there's something similar or a community group? I joined a community orchestra when I started playing cello - they take all-comers and all ages. Perhaps there's something like that near you? 

Can't believe I left this one out earlier under Conditions, but I am Slow.

Not slow as in stupid, slow as in I can't keep tempo, too often.

Even a relatively slow song like Rainbow in the Dark has me struggling to keep up, no matter how many times I play it.

I was really working on Pinnacle to the Pit by Ghost & finally gave up after months of playing it every day.

The song in the rotation now like that is Killed by Death, oh the irony that I can't play it fast enough!

When I quit bass a few years ago, I sold it ALL, even took down the Music-related posters & threw out the guitar-shaped decanter, I bought bongos.

When I mentioned I was playing bongos people directed me to Zappa's Bongo Fury, & I'm thinking: Thanks for the 'encouragement'!

but inside I'm dying, because there's no !@#$%^& way I'll ever be able to do Bongo Fury, LOL!

I pounded along to Fairies Wear Boots several times, that was fun, but then I slowly grew back a collection of basses, thinking I'd just get 1 u-bass for a Turkish once in awhile.

Turns out you can't hear the damn things if there's even a slight breeze in the vicinity, you can't do bends or harmonics, & you certainly can't do a convincing Motörhead, so I bought an Ibanez BTB & a Fender Rumble.

I think most of the reason I started again was from hanging on the forums still, if I really wanted to quit I should have stopped posting.

Maybe I will just keep the u-bass for karaoke-bass. I can play along to Pop songs on Rocksmith while someone else sings. My electric basses are almost a source of humiliation some days.

Today I was watching an interview with one of the ladies from our TV show, Shark Tank. She said that in about 3 months from starting a deal with the entrepreneurs on the show, something has happened, & there are two types. Those who complain, point fingers & feel sorry for themselves & those who look for a solution. I realized immediately that applied in the situation I've been 'crying' about, so I got out my bass & decided to rip through some riffs on AmpliTube 5. Then I took it out onto the back porch to play through my VOX a little louder. Something just feels good about playing, so I stand by my signature & Ian's words of wisdom.

I don’t know why you beat yourself up so much. I’m a pretty poor bass player. I was just about acceptable as a bass player in a pub punk band and haven’t improved much since. Now I am in my 50’s I am starting to try and learn to play better. Time and enthusiasm are not always on my side.

I like the instrument and enjoy taking them apart and refurbishing them as much as playing them.

I don’t really care what anyone else thinks. The small things in life need to bring pleasure as the big events just don’t happen often enough.

PS @Reggaebass suggestion is excellent. I struggle with timing and Reggae and Ska are great with helping with this. Stir It Up or Rudy ( a message to you) for example are genius in their simplicity and who can fail to have a smile on their face when playing along?

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I guess I did open it up to what others think by making it a poll, but IRL I don't have to worry about what others think, because I'll never be playing in public.

When I'm playing something that I'm just not getting I sometimes get that "WTF am I even doing?!" feeling, like it's time to give up, given all my limitations.

Branching off into Goth is me trying another genre.

Other times, like yesterday, I pick it up & just love how I can make those sounds with so little effort & think it's Romantic somehow, fighting a struggle I can never 'win'. I'm so accustomed to 'winning', that it's just foreign territory for me.

Bach famously stated: "You only have to hit the right notes at the right time"

but timing has never even gotten into the equation for me

I sometimes think truly pitch-perfect people must have a difficult time enjoying Music if there's any pitch issues. If I don't know my timing is off or I'm out of tune, all the merrier.

5 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

I sometimes think truly pitch-perfect people must have a difficult time enjoying Music if there's any pitch issues. If I don't know my timing is off or I'm out of tune, all the merrier.

The ones I've known and played with all made their peace with it many years ago and mostly seem to keep their mouths shut and have a great time. As a long time professional sound mixer I've certainly had to come to grips with lousy mixes in bands I've worked in, but we all have issues. 😎

Edited by Passinwind
  • Like 1

Limitations, there's also the physical.

Not only am I slow, but I can't reach sometimes. That Ghost song 'Pinnacle to the Pit' has a 2nd to 5th fret stretch that I can barely do, & definitely not at tempo.

However, the reason I'm posting today is because of my arm issues. This time last year I couldn't play at all from tennis-elbow.

Visited a physical therapist & learned some exercises & even how to hold my arm when sleeping. Problem solved, for the time.

When people brag about playing for hours I feel envy, I've been able to play for hours only a few times, Saturday was one of those & I suffered for it all day yesterday.

My strumming arm forearm was sore all day & still is just slightly. I tried massaging it, then Diclofenac Sodium, & finally CBD cream & Acetaminophen.

I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle, LOL!

but I'm about to take my chance to play a little before really starting the day

10 minutes ago, Killed_by_Death said:

However, the reason I'm posting today is because of my arm issues. This time last year I couldn't play at all from tennis-elbow.

Visited a physical therapist & learned some exercises & even how to hold my arm when sleeping. Problem solved, for the time

Well, yes. I had a shoulder / rotator cuff problem last year which got in the way a bit. Went to physio and just before lockdown it was starting to get better, they then swapped me to a new physio who I didn't get on with, and as because the world was heading lockdownward it was a good time to say I was cured. Mostly went away but in the last few months it has flared up to the point it wakes me up in pain. I have started doing exersizes, and hope it goes away as my group does 3 hour gigs, and I have another two groups to practice with.

• Like 1