Why become a member? ×

New Fender setup woes

Old Horse Murphy

7 hours ago, uncle psychosis said:

To be fair to them, some weirdos would complain if they did. They want a brand-new one unsullied by human contact. 

I've heard first-hand reports of people going to shops, trying instruments, then insisting on taking a factory-fresh still sealed one home with them instead of the one they actually tried out. Its bizarre behaviour but I bet its more common than you'd think. 

Bizarre indeed when it's the variances in the wood etc that you want to check out... Can't please everyone I guess. Suppose I like Wunjos approach, you buy the bass and then they ask you how you want it setting up and also offer free set ups for life. Which would be great if I was in London a lot more! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, uncle psychosis said:

To be fair to them, some weirdos would complain if they did. They want a brand-new one unsullied by human contact. 

I've heard first-hand reports of people going to shops, trying instruments, then insisting on taking a factory-fresh still sealed one home with them instead of the one they actually tried out. Its bizarre behaviour but I bet its more common than you'd think. 

I’ve always negotiated on £ to get the demo one when I’ve bought new 

• Like 1

If you at Andertons terms you'll see that they supply untouched instruments as standard. If you want it looked at before shipping, you have to request it. If it's been on display, they'll forewarn you. Presumably they've had enough of people complaining of things not being box fresh.

12 hours ago, uncle psychosis said:

Bizarre indeed, I remember when I bought my old Squier VM77 Jazz Bass the shop offered to put it in a box for me but I didn’t want to let it out of my sight, no way was I taking the chance of a shiny untouched boxed one instead of the great player display model that just played so good.

• Like 2

On 17/07/2021 at 07:59, Reggaebass said:

The jazz bass elite Has that adjustment, I don’t know why someone didn’t think of that years ago 

8C41C9DF-29AA-4A51-B89D-C607CE8C0824.jpeg

Levinson Blade have had them since the 80's. I think EBMM started using them late 80's/early 90's, too.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a2imageproxy.php?img=&key=d49e236f730b63a26BBFEABE-4607-4219-A4B9-178D99C8B2BF.jpeg.810184cf5fa75c899db35bb584393209.jpeg7358106D-76DC-45B7-B6D4-70B6F4E6696D.jpeg.028f792248737d56bcb3336a3f2fcab4.jpeg

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stores generally are a weird place. We used to have a regular and he’d come in and purposefully try an instrument 3/4 times a week for about 8-10 weeks before buying.

He’d always manage to let it pick up little knocks and scratches during his time trying it and then at the time of purchase, would say “this is shop soiled, what discount will you do?”… we soon caught on and would order a second of whatever it was he was damaging at the time so that when the time came we could deflect the pricing issue. It’s amazing the lengths and tricks people come up with to try and get themselves the best deal.

The same bloke once spent an hour lecturing another customer in our shop (who was trying a quite expensive Gibson guitar that was sold out everywhere online) about how it’s a huge shame guitar stores are struggling and going online 🤣

Edited by skej21