Why become a member? ×

Musicman Joe Dart Jr

Quatschmacher

Disappointed that EBMM have dropped the ball again with the pickup alignment on this. The G string looks way off. They had sorted this too on the Stingray Specials etc. Hope Joe Dart doesn't mind a bit of weak G in the Vulf stuff!

10 minutes ago, acidbass said:

Disappointed that EBMM have dropped the ball again with the pickup alignment on this. The G string looks way off. They had sorted this too on the Stingray Specials etc. Hope Joe Dart doesn't mind a bit of weak G in the Vulf stuff!

I think it’s probably a trick of the camera angle but as there’s a video, judge for yourself - sounded fine to me (actually excellent)!!

I was worried this would have a weak every string - but it’s absolutely fine!!! In fact wonderful 👍😬

70E7D209-1C14-4680-92CE-872DB7929F93.thumb.jpeg.539557342b2027923054045fcdad1d83.jpeg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, drTStingray said:

I was worried this would have a weak every string - but it’s absolutely fine!!! In fact wonderful

At least those are consistently not over the pole pieces and therefore consistent in tone across all strings - not haphazard like most 'rays. The G always sounds good in demo videos but try a 'ray in a band context and the G is almost completely redundant without major EQing or extreme pickup balancing. That said, they did address this issue with the Stingray Specials.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, acidbass said:

At least those are consistently not over the pole pieces and therefore consistent in tone across all strings - not haphazard like most 'rays. The G always sounds good in demo videos but try a 'ray in a band context and the G is almost completely redundant without major EQing or extreme pickup balancing. That said, they did address this issue with the Stingray Specials.

By your logic, my bass would require more volume and/or EQ than a standard Ray, but it does not - the settings I use for this bass are the same as for any of my standard Stingrays - so the point is incorrect. The redesign of the Ray Special bridge (for weight loss reasons) and pick ups (neo and 18 volt) enabled the string alignment to pole pieces to be improved (for aesthetic reasons) - all purposes as described by EBMM (note the new look is most apparent on a bridge pick up on an HH version on the E and A string). People’s EQ choices on active basses, pick up settings on passive ones and amps/FOH are what creates scoop (enhancement of bass and treble frequencies, suppression of mid range frequencies, and thus generic bass guitar audibility in certain settings). 

Having watched the video several times now since it was released, the bass actually sounds excellent to me! I just wish you could actually order one!! 

Edited by drTStingray

23 hours ago, acidbass said:

He uses so much compression he wouldn't notice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Be very wary if you see a good deal on one of these on FB marketplace, especially if you are going to buy remotely rather than in person.  

I'm lead to believe there's history behind an individual selling a JD Jr. and an ongoing case/investigation may be in place.  This is simply a heads up for anyone who might be looking at this thread after spotting one on Facebook... be wary!    

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1