Why become a member? ×

Musicman Joe Dart Jr

Quatschmacher

10 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Emperor's new clothes. His tone is garbage, always has been.

Well, I love his tone. ;)

But I couldn't finish watching that video (I didn't find it funny) and I don't get the whole knob/no-knob thing either... :shrug: 

• Like 1

Still struggling to see how short scale 45-105 gauge flats happily hit bottom C - and why this is standard spec here, given that he doesn't de-tune or rely on a 5 string for Vulf work?

Edited by RaNoFuNkY

4 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

How long do you have to leave a jar of pickled eggs before the yolks get that colour?

16209065974426386355256170594173-01.jpeg

Not sure - but it sure reminds me of late 50s P basses with adonised pickguards - with the exception that this design of pg is actually elegantl!! 😬

I think it’s an inspired choice and judging by the response on Basschat and Talkbass, the bass has shaken many contributors into the internet equivalent of pen and paper - some sounding like Man United fans commenting on a recent Man City triumph 😂😂  The sold out 50 guitars (note Joe and Jack don’t refer to them as pieces......) seemingly have sold to people amongst the vast majority of bass players who DON’T participate in bass fora!! Unless the forumites are keeping quiet about their purchases 😬

1 hour ago, RaNoFuNkY said:

Still struggling to see how short scale 45-105 gauge flats happily hit bottom C 

I don't see a problem. Companies like Callowhill and Serek make/made short scale 5 and 6 strings that handle a low B comfortably and sound great. This short scale Musicman should be able to handle a low C.

11 minutes ago, Doddy said:

I don't see a problem. Companies like Callowhill and Serek make/made short scale 5 and 6 strings that handle a low B comfortably and sound great. This short scale Musicman should be able to handle a low C.

The scale isn't the issue - it's the strings.

Low tuned short scales can be amazing - but I'd be expecting a 130 instead of that 105.

54 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The scale isn't the issue - it's the strings.

Low tuned short scales can be amazing - but I'd be expecting a 130 instead of that 105.

That's my point. I guess we'll never know - as Ernie Ball don't sell short scale flatwounds at the moment?! Given that there are a few errors on their website about specifications,  and that I don't detune that low for Vulf covers, I just presumed this was an error.

Edited by RaNoFuNkY

Here are the tensions for CFBbEb tuning on GHS's only set of short scale flats, to give a vague idea:

Eb (.045) 23.4; Bb (.060) 21.0; F (.075) 17.3; C (.095) 15.3; Total: 77.0

Here are their full scale flats at the same gauges tuned EADG  34" scale:

G (.045) 41.5 ; D (.060) 46.5; A (.075) 38.5; E (.095) 36.7; Total: 163.2

8 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Has it been revealed as spoof or reality yet?

It's very much reality, Vulf have a very tongue-in-cheek aesthetic, but incredibly loyal fans.
It doesn't surprise me that Jack S covered production (basically just purchasing 50 basses at cost I imagine), then selling on at RRP. Clever guy, essentially acting as a dealer out to their fans.

Si

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sibob said:

It's very much reality, Vulf have a very tongue-in-cheek aesthetic, but incredibly loyal fans.
It doesn't surprise me that Jack S covered production (basically just purchasing 50 basses at cost I imagine), then selling on at RRP. Clever guy, essentially acting as a dealer out to their fans.

Si

If that is what has happened and I suspect you’re on the money there Si, that’s pretty shallow. How much can MM knock 50 of those out for? Pretty cheaply I would imagine: solid colour, no controls with a premium price. 

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

If that is what has happened and I suspect you’re on the money there Si, that’s pretty shallow. How much can MM knock 50 of those out for? Pretty cheaply I would imagine: solid colour, no controls with a premium price. 

I imagine he doubled his money (maybe a little less after paying Joe...whatever the deal is). But that's business, no less shallow than any other bass brand building a bass and then selling it at profit to fans of that brand.

Si

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The overall cost of making a Mars Bar and getting it into the shops is under 5 pence.

Customers have decided we'll happily pay a quid for one.

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

The overall cost of making a Mars Bar and getting it into the shops is under 5 pence.

I doubt Fender Precisions cost a whole lot to build these days either

4 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I'd rather have a Bounty :) 

Does that age me?

Just now, Eldon Tyrell said:

No, only if you had said "I'd rather have a Marathon" 😉

AFAIR Marathons hadn't come out when the 'Coconut? I'd rather have a Bounty' ads were screened.  in B&W I think.

• Haha 1