Why become a member? ×

** SOLD ** Fender American Vintage 63 P Bass Faded Sonic Blue
£1600
Bristol

bootleg

***Price Drop***

Now £1450

Up for sale (no trades please) is my 2016 American Vintage '63 Precision in faded sonic blue with rosewood fingerboard. In immaculate condition, only played indoors, never gigged or rehearsed. There's some minor checking on the heal and upper horn, but in a very fetching and tasteful way (flash coat acquer). Been after one of these for ever, but despite many attempts, it just hasn't grabbed me. I have enough Precisions, got a new kitchen on the way, and I'd like someone else to give it the love it deserves. Of course, these are discontinued, and they are extremely well made recreations of the 1963 era P bass. Many details elsewhere on line, but key specs from my perspective:

• alder body
  • flash coat lacquer (minor checking which I've tried to show)
  • maple C shaped neck (some nice figuring on the neck)
  • round-laminated rosewood fingerboard, 7.25" radius
  • 1.74" nut width
  • bone nut
  • American Vintage '63 Precision Bass Split Single-Coil
  • 20 vintage style frets (well dressed, 20th fret has some slap wear from the shop not from me)
  • Vintage reverse tuners
  • 3-ply mint green pickguard
  • chrome pickup and bridge covers, lower finger rest, clay-coloured dot inlays, auxiliary strap button on headstock
  • American Vintage Bass bridge with Threaded Steel "Barrel" Saddles
  • Vintage blonde case with red interior
  • Case candy (Fender flats on the bass, the rounds got used)
  • 4.03kg/8.9llbs on my fish scales

Happy to ship at buyers expense in Great Britain.

Very difficult to capture the subtlety of the faded sonic blue on camera.

IMAG8933.jpg

Edited by bootleg
On hold
  • Like 17

I've got one of these, same colour too, and it's a superb bass.

Sounds great with rounds or flats and foam. The reverse tuners take a moment to adjust to, but the pickups are solid with lots of bottom end, and the tone control thickens nicely as you turn it down.

I've played the subsequent American Original, Player and Elite series from Fender and they don't come close to these instruments.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Very pretty. Which of the photos reflects the colour most accurately?

Good question. I am red/green colour blind, so I may not be the best judge. Suffice to say, it is really hard to capture the true colour. The photos in the case are too blue. The photos on the walls are too white. The close ups are probably the nearest, for the neck joints or the checking. In the flesh is where it really excels. Try this one.

IMAG8934.jpg

Edited by bootleg
  • Like 2

I'd thought the same - the close-ups are about as close as one might get to FSB, at least to my eyes/colour perception.  That really is a stunning bass.  For me, these are the best looking basses that Fender has produced in many years.  I don't really play long-scale and I'm not that enamoured of the P bass tone palette (heresy, I know!), but this bass looks incredibly cool.  I came very close to buying one on release but for all the reasons stated, plus I don't get on with 1.75" nut width, sense prevailed... just about, and very unusually 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • bootleg changed the title to ** SOLD ** Fender American Vintage 63 P Bass Faded Sonic Blue
  • MB1 locked this topic