Why become a member? ×

Rockonteurs with Gary Kemp & Guy Pratt

I couldn't find a dedicated thread about this podcast already so thought I'd start one (someone's going to prove me wrong and link to one straight away now, aren't they?! 😁).  I recently came across this when looking for something to listen to during my walk into work each morning.  It's a really simple set-up - Guy and Gary talking to a huge number and variety of people they've worked with over the years (I think culled mostly from Mr Pratt's address book) about their experiences within the industry.  The conversation is pretty unpretentious and pleasingly free flowing and they mostly do a great job of keeping out of the way and letting their guest do the talking.  I've listened to about 8 or so of the 30+ podcasts available.  Giles Martin was brilliant - insightful, enlightening and entertaining - as was Dave Crosby, to name just two.  Very strongly recommended.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Bass Culture said:

I couldn't find a dedicated thread about this podcast already so thought I'd start one (someone's going to prove me wrong and link to one straight away now, aren't they?! 😁).  I recently came across this when looking for something to listen to during my walk into work each morning.  It's a really simple set-up - Guy and Gary talking to a huge number and variety of people they've worked with over the years (I think culled mostly from Mr Pratt's address book) about their experiences within the industry.  The conversation is pretty unpretentious and pleasingly free flowing and they mostly do a great job of keeping out of the way and letting their guest do the talking.  I've listened to about 8 or so of the 30+ podcasts available.  Giles Martin was brilliant - insightful, enlightening and entertaining - as was Dave Crosby, to name just two.  Very strongly recommended.

David Crosby?! I wonder if he's read Guy's book...

The John Taylor one is the only one I've heard and it's great. They really got the whole atmosphere of listening in on a chat between mates, rather than a staged interview. Also, John was so relaxed talking to them, I got a bit lost when they were talking about some people they all came across back in the 80s without any context who they were or what they did but luckily that didn't go on too long so it wasn't all luvvy industry insider stuff, far from it. 

Need to make time to listen to some more! 

The series has been great. The only one I skipped was Suzi Quatro, she was copping a strop about them not playing her xmas single and I gave up on it. It might have got better, but not much of a sense of humour was being exhibited.

13 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

The series has been great. The only one I skipped was Suzi Quatro, she was copping a strop about them not playing her xmas single and I gave up on it. It might have got better, but not much of a sense of humour was being exhibited.

She's always been a stropmeister.... I often find myself turning over if/when she comes on TV....

13 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

Just listened to that - it’s painful. Love the way the put it front-and-centre of the interview. That’ll teach her.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Suzi Quatro one was comedy gold. Just in case anybody hasn't heard it yet, she had a new Xmas single out that really returns to her Detroit roots - EVERYBODY kept telling her.

Boy George and Lol Creme came across very well. There's been a wonderfully relaxed atmosphere so far (apart from Ms Q).

1 hour ago, Bass Culture said:

Nearly finished the Nile Rogers one - what a treat!  Really entertaining.

That one was really good. The guy is a legend. The Jonny Marr one was really interesting too - he's very articulate about explaining music.

• Like 1