Why become a member? ×

Headstock Splitting

BassBum

Hi.

I have a Streamer double buck and noticed yesterday it will not tune up.

On closer investigation I found the Headstock at the top, had started to split on one of the joins, the thinner darker wood. It's not noticeable but definitely moves.

Can this be repaired or can I obtain a new neck at a reasonable price.

Help appreciated

20210511_100109.jpg

I doubt whether any here can give an opinion without seeing the instrument. I would take it to a repairer asap. The issue could worsen if the join continues to separate, so I wouldn't delay (and it would probably be best to slacken the strings).

I agree with @Dan Dare but I'd also be curious as to what has happened here (this is a very unusual split AFAIK, and Warwicks are well built) and how old the bass is.

Definitely get an opinion from a luthier (tell us where you are and someone may be able to recommend a suitable person) BUT have a chat with Warwick before you spend money. They may themselves be sufficiently puzzled by this that they offer to swop in a new neck so that they can examine yours.

Difficult to tell from your pic where the split is.....does it follow the wood grain direction or where there is an obvious glue joint of wood. I would take the machine off anyway and see if it’s just the small screw ( that holds it in place so it won’t swivel about) that is causing a slight surface crack or if the crack is deeper and emanating from the tuner post.

To echo what others have said, I'd talk to Warwick (nice if they'd intervene) but don't really see any problem with repair.  It's not easy to see the crack or delimitation but I'd have thought a decent luthier could effect a repair fairly easily and inexpensively - possibly adhesive or a pinning and adhesive depending on depth/length etc.  Depending on where you are, I'd strongly recommend Jack's Instrument repair in Manchester or the Gallery in London (I'm sure others can suggest some excellent luthiers around the country)