Why become a member? ×

NRPUD (new replacement pickup day) - EMG Geezer content

So today a new EMG Geezer Butler P pickup arrived with the mail service and I have just installed it, tested and adjusted it properly this evening.

The old one from a P/J Geezer Butler set had developed an issue, from previously being dead quiet it suddenly begun to hum slightly when my skin was not being in contact with the bridge ground, and I tracked down the issue to being the lower pole piece of the pair under the D string.

Whenever I touched that pole piece it would start making crackling noises, now this wouldn't be much of an issue in it self, but I assume the culprit, rather than being that that pole piece somehow having lost ground connection, was caused by the pole piece actually somehow having come slightly in touch with the hot circuit of the pickup, since I have also lately been suffering from unexplainable sudden rather drastic tone changes, one moment my tone sounding absolutely awesome, well articulated, and super snappy and punchy, the other really thin and anemic, and then suddenly muddy and unclear, and after going through my setup having ruled out everything else as being the possible course.

Well, good new's is it seems like my spontaneous tone changing issue has indeed been solved, and in return my setup is almost dead quiet, even without my skin being in contact with the bridge ground, just like before my old Geezer P pickup suddenly went faulty.

I suspect the issue might have been caused one of the times I soldered or de-soldered the pickups, perhaps leaving the heat from the solder iron on a bit too long, when I was experimenting with using a DiMarzio Model P pickup instead, that while also sounding awesome, very full, ballsy and punchy, wasn't quite as dynamically responsive, articulated and clear sounding as the Geezer, why I went back to that.

Here the new Geezer P is, installed in my main Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass, wired directly to the output jack socket (yes, I swapped the stock barrel type jack socket out for a regular front mounted one. And yes, the strings are rather thin for a bass. It is gauge .090 - .072 -.054 - 0.40 strings, tuned to F# standard tuning, as in 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning) :
Ibanez-Mikro-Body-New-Geezer-Pickup-1005

Sounds absolutely as awesome as I knew it would.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash