Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB350F to BB1999 (or something)

AndyTravis

On 10/05/2021 at 18:16, walshy said:

Nice work, he’s about to get my ‘66 P for a new paint job. I’ll keep an eye out for gold hardware dude

:o  wow what colour?! Please don't say white. 

On 15/05/2021 at 14:46, AndyTravis said:

73512AAE-A11E-4709-8C0E-A95286D1A737.thumb.jpeg.0702e72d5218be747c8f3fae6fe6d9cd.jpeg906365AE-415D-40BC-87AC-A83EA20791AB.thumb.jpeg.e5ef544d26b4c4b3f21a9ec06b713417.jpeg

Are you swithering on the purple? 
Green would look nicer with chrome hardware which could save you some money. But a bit of a different statement whipping out a purple bass compared to a green one. 

6 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

:o  wow what colour?! Please don't say white. 

Are you swithering on the purple? 
Green would look nicer with chrome hardware which could save you some money. But a bit of a different statement whipping out a purple bass compared to a green one. 

It will be like this, the one I should never have sold 🤦‍♂️ P Bass of doom!

Unless Dave Wilson has another idea.

E531A4D1-3A5D-465D-8A3A-A830AFA3600B.png

3EFB987B-5116-477D-B87F-D5376B12D9BF.png

• Sad 1

On 10/05/2021 at 17:43, AndyTravis said:

and the neck has gone to our very own @Andyjr1515 to receive some frets

This is one of those ideal small jobs for 'in between the bigger stuff' jobs.  Well, mainly ;)

I say 'mainly' because I ended up spending most of this morning getting the finish off the fretboard!! 9_9

Yes, you live and learn!  Most builders will tell you that stripping finish off a modern bass body can be a nightmare - but necks and fretboards are straightforward.

That's because, on a body, many modern makers put a viciously hard undercoat under their poly finishes and you would go mad if you tried to sand it off.  Generally industrial-grade heat guns are the only way!

On the other hand, necks are always lightly finished and hand sanding is a breeze.  And even more so for fretboards where generally they are not finished in the first place.  

Or so I thought before today...

Because Yamaha clearly don't play to the same rules.  This fretboard had the viciously hard undercoat - and you can't risk dig-ins and burns on a fretboard from the fairly brutal heatgun and decorators scraper approach, so it has to be basically sanded.

One hour in:

i4peN6el.jpg

One and a half hours in, realised it was going to need some help with the help of a razor used like a scraper:

oAlZLJRl.jpg

Two hours in...there's some wood showing! :party:     (but only at the edges so far)  :shok:    :

uvkQmACl.jpg

Two and three quarter hours later - we're down to wood :

B6DTFA4l.jpg

And a quick damp cloth check to make sure that there's no residual in there:

hQGMgzcl.jpg

So that's the easy bit done, then :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, such said:

I had never noticed it was finished! 

Yes - pretty unusual too.  With the exception of the Fender varnished maple (and even that is a pretty light coat), most fretboards I've come across are just oiled

Now this is definitely something not to be rushed, whether fitted in between other stuff or not.  Cutting the fret slots.

I am using a radius block as my positioning guide and to keep the saw blade completely vertical:

1ZGSNrkl.jpg

I use a spatula marked with the tang depth to ensure that the slot is deep enough across its whole length:

gCPejU4l.jpg

6 done and 15 to go.  I'll do a few more tomorrow if I get a spare half hour:

TcxQve7l.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I found the half-hour or so to finish the slotting and they are all done:

C68xN3Rl.jpg

From the absence of white lines, there's half a chance they're in the right place too :D

As it's easier to put down the main finish before fretting and then a quick re-finish after, I've done a sealing slurry and buff of Tru-oil.  Brings out the colour nicely and will be silky smooth to the touch as well as being sweat and muck resistant:

sZjO3qJl.jpg

Got some domestic duties over the next few days and then a burst of progress early next week on @Matt P 's single cut (that is pretty close now to moving on to starting the finishing processes) so it will be mid next week before the frets go in :).  And we're going for EVO Golds that will match @AndyTravis 's dastardly plans on hardware for the bass itself :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, such said:

It will be great. Even as a fretless, this bass had a very piano-like "ping" when strung with fresh rounds. 

Ah good. I shall play it just like I play piano…with heavy hands, little or no skill…and zero timing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 23/05/2021 at 19:30, Andyjr1515 said:

Yes - pretty unusual too.  With the exception of the Fender varnished maple (and even that is a pretty light coat), most fretboards I've come across are just oiled

Oh God Andy, don't mention oiled fretboards 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Each time I go down into the cellar today I am fitting an extra fret in.  We are going for EVO Golds and the first 5 are already in.  

After detanging them at the sides, I pop a small amount of wood glue on the tangs, hammer them in and then clamp the radius block to keep them fully seated while the glue grabs.  I'll take some extra shots of the earlier steps as I go along, but this is the final step of the above method (which was when I remembered to take the photo) ;)  :

tDhSA6Vl.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are many ways of fitting frets but, for what it's worth, this is the way I do it.

First I detang the ends using the nipper and cut to length:

84iAsQ0l.jpg

I then run a small bead of Titebond along the tangs and press the tang into the slot to position it.

Then smack it with a hammer on the bass side, the treble side and the middle (and then liberally anywhere that takes my fancy ;) ).  The fretwire is curved at a tighter radius than the board and the tang barbs face down into the slot.  The first two whacks either side get the barbs through and under the surface, leaving the middle humped.  Then whacking it in the middle spreads the wire outwards with the barbs locking themselves into the wood under the surface.  The glue squeeze-out tells me the fret is seated and is wiped off with a damp cloth:

YGdmwgCl.jpg

And then I clamp with the radius block, as posted above, before moving to the next one:

tDhSA6Vl.jpg

7 done, 14 to go :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1