Why become a member? ×

Bass shops - who are the best for service RIGHT NOW (COVID/2021)?

Moos3h

Apologies if we have had a thread like this lately but I felt the need to give some love to a few bass (/guitar) shops who have really impressed me with recent purchases.

1) Bass Direct - as ever, helpful and speedy replies to queries and the most laid back and trusting in-shop experience to try whatever takes my eye.

2) Promenade music - quick response to FB messages with pics and weights of a couple of basses, including an honest admission that one of them was a back-breaker

3) Fair deal music - again super-quick FB response to a request for pics and a better deal than I would have got if buying from  them via Amazon (product was not listed on their site).

Well done to everyone in the MI industry that’s delivering this sort of quality service - I can’t imagine it’s easy with all of us stuck at home with no gigs and nothing to do but (browser) window-shop!

Edited by Moos3h
  • Like 2

I've used Bass Direct a lot over the last year and they have always been good. Fair prices and good to deal with.

GAK were so good at returns that I started to feel a bit bad doing it: could test a pedal for a few weeks and ask to return it and they even paid for the courier doorstep pickup return.

Andertons are okay, always quick delivery and decent at returns and they fixed a pedal that went wrong after 10 months. But they're not always the best prices and they've given me some very poor part-ex prices last year that I'd gone ahead with out of impatience of wanting to exchange there and then but in hindsight don't feel like they particularly treated me as a loyal/valued customer - more like I was getting every penny squeezed out of me! One that sticks in my head is them giving £60 for a perfect condition boxed Boss RE-20 which they sell new for £225 so they probably get £180 second hand for it....and this was is part-exchange for a slightly overpriced Bass so wasn't even as good as just getting the £60. On a separate occasion they offered about 30% less part-ex for a Bass (one I bought from them earlier last year!) than either Bass Direct or Camden Bass exchange offered, and it would have been in exchange for a Bass they were charging more for than either of those shops- so I didn't deal with them on that occasion.

Edited by SumOne

I will be paying a visit to guitarguitar Glasgow, think I've bought 2 basses and 1 guitar off them so far (before lockdown). I'll be calling in again to annoy the feck out of them to try out 5ers and amps. May well take my fretless to see if a different amp can make it sound more civilised instead of a bear with piles, that's just woken from a long hibernation.

• Haha 1

Another vote for GuitarGuitar, they've recently shown some excellent customer service with an issue I had. Very quick to respond too and didn't hide behind the absolute letter of their warranty policy, they reviewed the issue for what it was and handled it expertly. I've dealt with them in the past a few times and I've always been very pleasantly surprised by their level of customer service.

I'm in Hawaii and I honestly have to say Gear4music. Our local big name store hadn't restocked their inventory after Covid began(I don't blame them, they weren't the only ones) and was already out of certain items I had GAS for. So I read reviews and chanced it with G4M. I had no problems at all with 3 different purchases from them and even with shipping included it was still cheaper than if I bought it here. Go figure

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just bought a case from GuitarGuitar Glasgow, spoke to the guy on the phone, really helpful, even called me back to apologise that the warehouse had missed a delivery slot and it'd take another day (due to be delivered on Monday). Suitably impressed so far.

Classic And Cool Guitars

Spoke to guy about a bass, agreed a price, saw he had good reviews on here so was happy with making the bank transfer (normally not something I would do) and bass arrived a few days later, all as discussed.

Great service

• Like 1