Why become a member? ×

Hi from Stoke

Peloquin

Hello, I'm Mark from Stoke on Trent. I'm 51 and just decided to have a go at learning bass. I want to be able to pick up a bass and got random notes that don't sound random, if you know what I mean.

A mate has lent me one of his bass, it's a Tanglewood Warrior II.

I'm looking forward to learning a few songs, nothing too hard to start with obviously.... Ramones, Misfits etc...

Any and all advice and tips gratefully received.

• Like 1

Good evening, Mark , and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. rWNVV2D.gif

Tips..? How about my usual words of encouragement..? ... 'It's the first forty years that are the hardest, after which things sometimes tend to get very slightly easier.' :|

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Good evening, Mark , and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share. rWNVV2D.gif

Tips..? How about my usual words of encouragement..? ... 'It's the first forty years that are the hardest, after which things sometimes tend to get very slightly easier.' :|

Haha, cheers... That's made me feel better.

So far I've managed to get Iron Man sorted up to the first fast solo bit and I'm almost there with Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down but I tend to get lost a bit.

• Thanks 1

I first started with this guy .. the tabs aren't always 100% every single time but you get the jist. Take a look through his playlists for some other Misfits/Danzig stuff and there's quite alot of rock and metal there too. He takes requests as well, and has recently sorted his playlists into hard, medium and easy, and also sorted by tuning (E standard, E flat, D standard etc), so you can select whatever your guitar is tuned to. I quickly ended up getting a second bass, and keeping one tuned to E standard and the other tuned to E flat.

If you are super new to bass, have a look at ACDC, alot of their stuff is very easy to learn. Touch Too Much / If You Want Blood / Highway to Hell etc. You can use the playback speed in the YouTube setting to slow down to 0.75 if stuff is a bit fast at first. Then you'll just end up buying Guitar Pro 😉

Edited by MHMSWC#03
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would also recommend Mark at Talking Bass because he doesn't waffle at all and his videos are really useful. He has got alot of stuff on his channel for beginners. I believe I was first enticed by his video explaining how to play like Steve Harris (we can all dream ..) The answer to which is extremely lightly.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDfStxwji-22A_bvY280UIg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard! :crigon_04::crigon_04:

I started same age as you, and three years on am now tolerable, at least at playing the bass. I always recommend StudyBass.com. It's not shouty, is completely free, and makes sure you understand the basics, like how not to wreck your back and wrists, tuning and setup, and theory. Scotts Bass Lessons is excellent value for money as well, at about £80 per year I've kept my subscription running. He is a bit enthusiastic, so get going first, then take the free trial in a couple of months.

After that, play what you like, learn to play the bass you have and stay away from the marketplace! 😁

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

This 🔻 is the Ultimate Bass Method for beginners, at an unbeatable price. Spiral-bound, so lays flat, and three (yes, three..!) methods in one, to take any player to the level they want to achieve. Highly recommended. Go on; spoil yourself. You know it makes sense...

Amazon.co.uk : Hal Leonards Bass Method...

16205804342464659639157559062973.thumb.jpg.16209321e9dc6ed6bf66812a915f46ee.jpg

That's one of the books I bought... It's a bit hard going but I'll stick with it.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

I would also recommend Mark at Talking Bass because he doesn't waffle at all and his videos are really useful. He has got alot of stuff on his channel for beginners. I believe I was first enticed by his video explaining how to play like Steve Harris (we can all dream ..) The answer to which is extremely lightly.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDfStxwji-22A_bvY280UIg

Yeah, he seems really easy to follow...I also have a look at Scott's Bass Lessons.

20 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Welcome aboard! :crigon_04::crigon_04:

I started same age as you, and three years on am now tolerable, at least at playing the bass. I always recommend StudyBass.com. It's not shouty, is completely free, and makes sure you understand the basics, like how not to wreck your back and wrists, tuning and setup, and theory. Scotts Bass Lessons is excellent value for money as well, at about £80 per year I've kept my subscription running. He is a bit enthusiastic, so get going first, then take the free trial in a couple of months.

After that, play what you like, learn to play the bass you have and stay away from the marketplace! 😁

Hey thanks, I have just checked it out. The bit about not hurting your back and wrists is probably worth a look .. I like to think I'm immortal but I know I'm not!