Why become a member? ×

Lightweight cabs - What are you loving?

CalDeep

Hello BC'ers! 

With some gigs actually on the horizon I've been rethinking my live rig a bit. I currently have a Bergantino HD210, which I absolutely love, but rarely take it out if I don't have to with it being nearly 30kgs. 
I've got a few gigs in the book already where I know I will need a small ish amp so I just wanted to see what people have bought and got on with really! 

Contenders in my mind are Darkglass DG210, Ashdown RM210, Markbass - Ill consider anything. I had a Barefaced Retro 210 that was excellent until it fell apart. 

FWIW - The head I'll be using is a Mesa Walkabout. 

Thanks in advance! 

Ashdown RMs are good cabs, nice and light/portable and sound really good.

However once they brought out their ABM PRO NEO range I swapped my pair RM210s for a pair of these, again light and portable.

Not had a chance to use them in a band situation yet but they def have the ABM sound, which is slightly deeper and fuller than the RMs.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 2

...and you have the confidence that if you have any issues with Ashdown gear as it's built in the UK you can get it repaired for, if not free, very little. 

Ashdown CS is becoming legendary - they have a presence here - @Ashdown Engineering - and the HQ in the South East is accessible via the M25 .

Can't go wrong really.

I’ve been a convert to Barefaced for quite a few years now. For a small cab I love my One 10 for its gorgeous vintage voicing in a tiny package; for big gigs the Super Twin packs a huge punch and weighs only 17kg.

There are plenty of options these days, all with their supporters. Why not buy 2 or 3 used alternatives through the BC Classifieds, keep what you like, and move on the others.

I've been working through a similar process to that described by the OP and also use a Bergantino HD210.  Certainly one of my favourite cabs of the modern era and relatively light (54lbs?) compared to the Cerwin Vega etc. 18" bins that I used as a younger man.  In an effort to cut down on weight, I picked-up an Agi SL112 a few weeks ago.  Great full-fat tone with a really tight bottom end (it's rear single ported and I'm using it positioned a little way away from walls).  Very responsive with real articulation in the mids - lovely for fretless (though I play mainly fretted).  I'm not sure on just how loud it can get in a gig/stage monitoring situation, but at 25lbs it's just a joy to lift.  I've had it up fairly loud and it seems to stay tight and focused (no signs of complaint from either driver).  Overall, I'm very impressed - I just need something that will replicate the tone and power of the DB750 without the weight (I'm not sure that's going to happen)

Edited by three

22 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

However once they brought out their ABM PRO NEO range I swapped my pair RM210s for a pair of these, again light and portable.

Not had a chance to use them in a band situation yet but they def have the ABM sound, which is slightly deeper and fuller than the RMs.

Lozz, you have made me want these cabinets. Now there is a version (on Musicians Friend ) with a grey fabric grill instead of the metal grill. Are these the same neo 210 cabs as yours ? I would take either, but not one grill cloth and one metal grill. What do you think ?

Thanks for all the feedback dudes! 

My BF 210 was possibly the best cab I've ever owned, it had the tolex peeling early on and when the dealership contacted them they got super aggressive with them, and it really put me off unfortunately. I'd love to grab a One10 in honesty, but I dunno, it left a really sour taste in my mouth! 

There is a One10 for sale atm and it had definitely got my eye, ill have to see if I can forgive them 🤣

I've got 3 cabs, all of which are lightweight. I use different combinations of them - depending on gig / venue etc.
For some folk or acoustic duos / trios and especially in small venues, I often use just one cab. I have played acoustic gigs in some really tiny places, or at least the space allowed for us to play in was tiny :o 

Anyhow, the cabs are; Markbass 210 traveller, Epifani UL110, and a Greenboy "Crazy8"

For larger, rockier, louder gigs, I usually use the Markbass 210 and the Eipfani 110. I know, that's 3x 10" speakers - but it works really well IMHO. It's certainly loud enough with my MB 500W head. Anything bigger, and I tend to go through either the bands own PA, or house PA (again, depending on gig / band / venue)

Intermediate sized gigs in pubs, I sometimes use the Traveller 210 cab alone. More acoustic settings I tend to take the Epifani 110, and perhaps take the Crazy 8 "just in case" i.e. in case I suddenly feel the urge for a bit more oomph. I have even gigged as an acoustic trio with just the Crazy 8. On one occasion, at a fairly big venue, I used the Crazy 8 merely as a monitor, and went through the house PA. Although even during sound-check, I was really surprised that the Crazy 8 held its' own before I was plugged into the PA - it really is a "crazy" cab, considering it's tiny size. :o

The MB traveller 210 is light, and loud and crisp & clear. The Epifani is an utterly superb cab - another that punches way above its' weight.
The crazy 8 is just crazy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CalDeep said:

My BF 210 was possibly the best cab I've ever owned, it had the tolex peeling early on and when the dealership contacted them they got super aggressive with them, and it really put me off unfortunately.

The peeling tolex issue should be settled by now. I can't comment on your dealings with the company, but if you want to sound good, put that behind you and try another Two10.

4 hours ago, grenadillabama said:

Lozz, you have made me want these cabinets. Now there is a version (on Musicians Friend ) with a grey fabric grill instead of the metal grill. Are these the same neo 210 cabs as yours ? I would take either, but not one grill cloth and one metal grill. What do you think ?

Yes the same cabs, just looks like they’ve done a vintagey looking one as well. I prefer metal grills if possible, just down to the practicality, I do think the fabric looks better though.

1 hour ago, CalDeep said:

I forgot all about the Epi 110! They look quite amazing. I don't suppose anyone has tried the Epi and the BF and can comment? 

I had a BF OneTen at the same time I got my Epi 110.
The BF was a great cab - really tiny and lightweight.  But I preferred the EPI - I felt it handled the lows better, and the tweeter in the EPi is brilliant, and really controllable. To my ears, the EPI has a warmer, richer sound.

I know BF have lots of fans on here, who are all probably all shaking their heads in disagreement - but I took both cabs to a local bash (a number of years back). Most of the folks there preferred the EPI, all bar one if I recall correctly.

Like I said, the BF is a super cab - and I suppose it's down to personal taste. I just found the BF was less "warm" - perhaps some might say it's a more "accurate" tone?
But bear in mind I played upright, and EUB as well as bass guitar through it. And it was easier to get the tone I wanted from the EPI. I did wish at the time, that I could have got two BF OneTen's to see how that sounded.

Again, I'd need 2x separate units (rather than a single BF 2x10) - so I could gig with either, or both..... for many different situations

Edited by Marc S
  • Thanks 1

Around 2007 I compared Epifani and Bergantino 112's. Epifani used bigger cabs which gave more low end, but sometimes, on acoustically poor stages, the low end was harder to manage. My preference is to use smaller more controlled cabs.

Another vote for the Markbass Traveller 102P which I’ve recently acquired. Effortlessly portable and really punchy and loud for its size.

I picked up a Genz Benz Neo 2x12 last year so it hasn’t seen much action yet, and while not super lightweight it’s still around the 20kg mark which is peanuts compared to what I used to lug round.

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 1

I use a genzbenz neox 212 cab.....very well made and fitted the faital pro 12pr 300 (version of).....great loud punchy cab and at 47lbs very portable...built-in wheels a bonus too, Oh, and it fits in the boot of a skoda fabia !!

• Like 1

I tend not to change gear often and do a lot of research before buying so that I get what I think will suffice for the long term. In the past three-ish  years I have replaced my three Boogie Powerhouse cabs 2x10, 4x10 and 1x15, that I bought new around 2004, with barefaced cabs, BBII, BTII and Dubster II and couldn't be happier. I have all angles covered for gigging and  I can't see any reason to go looking elsewhere although there is no harm in window shopping. They are lovely and light and have a sound I prefer to my boogie cabs.

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 1

On 09/05/2021 at 13:02, Lozz196 said:

Ooo, and sorry for the hijack…maybe I keep my abm head and get ashdown neo to match…

Barefaced 210 user. Great Cab, it’s plenty loud enough, fairly mid focused. I got a bit over excited over lockdown and bought 2.

They look great stacked, but the reality is I’ll probably only ever use 1. So there’s every chance one of mine will be for sale soon - I’ve only used it for a single practice too, so it’s not even broken in yet.

if I can get a decent amount for it, I might go for a more hifi cab, like a Bf big baby/twin or Aguilar sl range. Both of which are fairly light and I’ve heard nothing but good about both.

24 minutes ago, alexa3020 said:

Barefaced 210 user. Great Cab, it’s plenty loud enough, fairly mid focused. I got a bit over excited over lockdown and bought 2.

They look great stacked, but the reality is I’ll probably only ever use 1.

If you think one sounds good? Use both. Even better.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chris_b said:

If you think one sounds good? Use both. Even better.

It was when I tried both, I realised that I only needed one.

it might be a nice to have an alternative sounding cab. Might be better suited to one of my bands too.

There are a few lightweight cabs that have caught my eye including the ashdown pro neos & the Ampeg pro Neos. I haven’t been able to find a huge amount of info about the ashdowns though.

Edited by alexa3020
  • Like 1