Why become a member? ×

SOLD Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz Bass (With mods)
£700
West Yorkshire

Davebassics

I've moved to 5 string basses for now so I'm selling my 4 string Reggie Hamilton Jazz Bass (Made in Mexico). Without doubt, the most versatile bass I've ever played. This is my jack of all trades bass that I used when I was playing with function bands. I'm not intending on gigging again for a while after lockdown as I want to concentrate on other projects, so time for a clear out!

Modifications:

I have the brilliant Jon Shuker move the P Pickup a few mms towards the Bridge. This means the P Bass pick is in the traditional P Bass position rather than what usual Jazz basses have when they have a neck P pickup. This means when you solo the P pickup, you get a P bass in all its glory! Jon also serviced and set up the bass including leveling all the frets. This has resulted in getting a great and even action.

Pickups: EMG PJ set replaced the Fender Noiseless

Preamp: John East J-Retro Deluxe (3 band/active/passive)

The preamp/picks are wired for 18v. The clarity of the EMGs combined with the versatility of the john east is an incredible combination. I found that I have to make much more subtle changes to the mid controls because the results are clearly audible.

Straplocks: Schaller -  also supplied

The bass is in good condition. There are a few minor cosmetic bumps and scratches on the body but they are on the back or side so don't show from the front. I've tried to capture them fairly in the photos.

Weight to follow.

I do not have a hard case spare and will not ship the bass without one however we do have options:

• I frequently travel between Newcastle and Brighton, happy to make slight detours to drop off
  • Meet halfway
  • You send me a hardcase and I ship it back with a bass inside of it
  • Pickup from Mirfield, just outside of Huddersfield.

Apologies for the dusty photos, no matter how quickly I wiped it down, dust still showed up in the photos! Will make sure the bass gets a good wipedown before it is packaged.

Priced at £650 plus shipping to sell.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 11.37.01 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 11.37.01 (4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 11.37.01 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 11.37.01 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 11.37.01.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 11.37.00 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 11.37.00 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-09 at 11.37.00.jpeg

Edited by Davebassics
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The EMG and East electronics package are solderless?

I may consider buying it if I could swap the pickups towards the newer EMG PAX P-pickup and JVX bridge J-pickup but I’m unable nor I want to learn how to solder which is a thing of the past in 2021 (for me at least).

Edited by Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati

19 hours ago, Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati said:

The EMG and East electronics package are solderless?

I may consider buying it if I could swap the pickups towards the newer EMG PAX P-pickup and JVX bridge J-pickup but I’m unable nor I want to learn how to solder which is a thing of the past in 2021 (for me at least).

Yes it is solderless! Screw terminals, very straight forward.

Which EMG PJ set did you install on it? Passive or active pickups? Can you tell  me the set model name? 
EMG solderless pickups have got DuPont coupled terminals whereby the wires have to be divided for being used with screw terminals .. the preamp manual shows what to when using a PJ set?

Last but not least … you rerouted the body but the pickguard hasn’t been changed seemingly, so you drilled another set of holes ?

What about the original holes? Did you fill them?

The pickups are active, as is the preamp. They are both wired from the same 18v power rail (supplied by 2 x 9v batteries.

Pick ups are The EMG PJ Set:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/emg_pj_pickup_set.htm

In order to fit the solderless EMG system to the solderless John East preamp, the two way molex connectors were removed from the EMG loom. The cables were then stripped and tinned before being installed into the screw terminals on the john east. Non of the other EMG components are included as I sold them separately as spares.

The Pickguard has been changed from the original. The one that is currently fitted moves the P pickup closer to the bridge into the traditional location for a precision pickup. The holes and the original pickup route have not been filled in, they remain in place under the pickguard. I had the work completed by the highly respected Jon Shuker:

https://shukerguitars.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

The question would be why has it been moved from its original position … Bass has been significantly altered, unfortunately, in a way that makes its assembly a little frail, reducing its resell value moreover; this, of course, is just my opinion.

All the best for selling the bass.

@Gianni "Orlandez" Orlati - why would you want the P pickup moved to the P position? by one of the UK's most respected Luthiers? I would do that mod, upgraded pickups and a top class preamp as well. 
It's clearly listed as being modified in the title, but if you're unsure you could get yourself to Mirfield to try it? 

• Like 2

It was moved to the traditional P position as I find that the P position on a jazz lends itself to the tone of the P being too boomy or bass heavy where as moving it slightly towards the bridge brings out that P bass low mid grunt that I know and love. I'll be perfectly honest, the difference is subtle however I have found myself adjusting the EQ to the room a lot less since the change.

I recorded some audition pieces for a covers band recently. These are with the P pick up solo'd.

To be honest, I find myself seriously questioning whether I should donate a kidney rather than sell this!

Edited by Davebassics

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/09/2021 at 13:02, Sparky Mark said:

"Modifications:

I have the brilliant Jon Shuker move the P Pickup a few cms towards the Bridge."

I think you meant a few mms as there is about 7 to 8mm difference between the RH and standard P pup positions. 

Good spot. Typo corrected, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Davebassics changed the title to Dropped price. Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz Bass (With mods)
  • Davebassics changed the title to Dropped price £650. Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz Bass (With mods)
  • Davebassics changed the title to SOLD Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz Bass (With mods)
  • gary mac locked this topic