Why become a member? ×

Höffner Verythin Bass or Epiphone Jack Casady bass?

Shimonardo

Hey guys,

I can't decide which one of these two semi-hollow bass guitars should I buy...

The prices are almost the same, has anyone got any experience with these guitars? Recommendations? 

Thank you very much!

Edited by Shimonardo

I don't have a Verythin but I've a Club and a 185, both have super skinny necks compared to a JC, which I've just picked up. Whether a Verythin is the same I don't know, but the difference between my JC and my Hofners is big enough that you might want to look at your physical preferences as well as sound. 

That said I really cannot fault the JC I've just received, absolutely stunning in every respect, well worth the money. 

Edited by Maude
  • Thanks 1

Had a JC and loved it. But they are fully hollow rather than semi hollow.

Great range of sounds, from almost acoustic bass to full-on growl, and much more versatile than might first appear.

Big chunky neck, hollow body and big headstock meant mine had serious neck dive which a thick suede strap did reduce somewhat. 

Only sold it to fund another bass and frequently find myself wishing I hadn’t.  

I've owned both. Both are great. The Hofner is a little less common. It's short scale and they do (or did) a long scale which is one of my main basses (pictured) - pre-Covid I took it on numerous tours across Europe and the UK. The JC basses are really good too. Quality wise, they are pretty similar. The Hofner's just are a bit rarer and mine always got comments (& who the hell comments on the bass?!). Short scale basses can have a few problems with intonation which is why I got shot of my short scale verythin. No intonation issues with my old JC or the long scale verythin.

HofRig.thumb.jpg.9f8d36085ae59477424e66ff90bc17b6.jpg

Edited by Cat Burrito
  • Like 2