Why become a member? ×

Painting The Body Only On A neck Through Bass

I'm more or less decided on painting this bass black - the natural body doesn't do much for me, a bit bland 

I want to paint the body but not the neck.  Will be a homemade job as the value of the bass doesn't warrant a pro job.

Looking for suggestions on:

- The black paint to use

- How to address the neck heel - I don't want to paint the neck, so what to do?  Tape it off and have a hard, straight line stop? - where exactly should I be looking to do that.

- What prep work to the wood do I need to do?  I don't think the bass has a coating / covering - so paint straight on or not?

IMG_20210508_143711.jpeg

4 hours ago, bagsieblue said:

1. How to address the neck heel - I don't want to paint the neck, so what to do?  Tape it off and have a hard, straight line stop? - where exactly should I be looking to do that.

2. What prep work to the wood do I need to do?  I don't think the bass has a coating / covering - so paint straight on or not?

1. Given that nobody will see the back of the instrument (apart from briefly when you pick it up/put it down), does it matter?

2. You will need to key the surface to ensure the paint adheres properly and evenly. use very fine glass or emery paper (and mask off p/us, etc (unless you are going to completely remove them) because the dust will get everywhere. If you use fine steel wool, take the p/us and fittings off, otherwise they will be coated in a fine fur of metal fragments (especially the p/us - the magnets will attract and cause it to cling) that you will never be able to completely remove.

It would be very rare for there to be no finish at all on the body. Probably a satin finish lacquer or varnish if it appears there isn't any. If it is an oiled finish, you will likely find it will react with paint and look terrible or even not dry properly, meaning it will migrate to you when you play it. As oil sinks into the wood, you can never get it all off/out of the grain, so that would rule out painting it, really.

• Like 1

Personally I'd go down the Aria/ Ibanez/ Westone Thunder 111 route, leaving the centre of the neck natural and painting the body.

Welcome to www.westone.info :: The resource for Westone guitars ::  thunder3v1

1984 Aria Pro II (Matsumoku) SB-R60 Fretless Neck-Through Bass (Made in  Japan) | eBay

Ibanez launches two new Fretless basses: BTB845F and BTB846F | Guitarriego

A bit 1980s but I think they all look amazing.

I'm not sure what colour your looking for but IIRC there are some beautiful wood finishes available.

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

1. Given that nobody will see the back of the instrument (apart from briefly when you pick it up/put it down), does it matter?

2. You will need to key the surface to ensure the paint adheres properly and evenly. use very fine glass or emery paper (and mask off p/us, etc (unless you are going to completely remove them) because the dust will get everywhere. If you use fine steel wool, take the p/us and fittings off, otherwise they will be coated in a fine fur of metal fragments (especially the p/us - the magnets will attract and cause it to cling) that you will never be able to completely remove.

It would be very rare for there to be no finish at all on the body. Probably a satin finish lacquer or varnish if it appears there isn't any. If it is an oiled finish, you will likely find it will react with paint and look terrible or even not dry properly, meaning it will migrate to you when you play it. As oil sinks into the wood, you can never get it all off/out of the grain, so that would rule out painting it, really.

Thanks - Yes, not overly bothered about how perfect the finish is.  Value of the bass is relatively cheap so not precious about it.

I will of course strip all the hardwear off the bass first.

1 minute ago, TheGreek said:

Personally I'd go down the Aria/ Ibanez/ Westone Thunder 111 route, leaving the centre of the neck natural and painting the body.

Welcome to www.westone.info :: The resource for Westone guitars ::  thunder3v1

1984 Aria Pro II (Matsumoku) SB-R60 Fretless Neck-Through Bass (Made in  Japan) | eBay

Ibanez launches two new Fretless basses: BTB845F and BTB846F | Guitarriego

A bit 1980s but I think they all look amazing.

That did occur to me - not for the front but maybe for the back....

Alternatively, if you could veneer the body - there are some really special ones available, and because you're buying 0.6mm slivers they are generally inexpensive.

91OVHQczdTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

IIRC the sheet (enough for 2 or 3 basses) of "Iron on" veneer which @Andyjr1515 used on my Nanyo cost about £15. Loads left over.

20210301_155113.jpg

Edited by TheGreek

22 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Alternatively, if you could veneer the body - there are some really special ones available, and because you're buying 0.6mm slivers they are generally inexpensive.

91OVHQczdTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

IIRC the sheet (enough for 2 or 3 basses) of "Iron on" veneer which @Andyjr1515 used on my Nanyo cost about £15. Loads left over.

20210301_155113.jpg

Who is the supplier Mick?

16 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Nice....still much prefer the black above though!.

10 hours ago, bagsieblue said:

Spector NS94.

IMG_20210508_143728.jpeg

I love this, simplistic, elegant and a refined beauty. I would really think twice about this , if you still wish to proceed have it done by a professional. OR sell it and buy another Spector in the colour combo you desire. Sorry for being such a miserable old Pensioner!

• Like 2

Ebonising might be something to consider. Done properly it gives a jet black finish but still leaves the grain visible.

Works best on tannin rich woods like oak.

Edited by HornetPinata
Listen to The Lewd or the Dead Boys.