Why become a member? ×

Four years of lusting ends in sadness.

A pair of BF 110's and a Boogie Subway 800 make enough noise for me and to cart around. Undoubtedly, a great sound too. Although another pair of 10's to add would certainly float my boat!

Edited by itsmedunc

I have an SVT which I keep planning to sell. Then I look at it, and recall the experience of playing through it, that wonderful room filling bass sound, and I don't list it. 

It can't be that heavy really can it? 

Then I try to lift it to find it must have been bolted to the floor. 

There's nothing like it and I have owned it and gigged it. Box ticked, now it's time for a younger bassist. 

In the 80's /90's when big stuff was albeit cheap and I had the room , I had various humongous size combo amps/ headlamps and cabs. My first being OHM , then H/H , peavy etc . 
When doing band rehearsals I played through trace Elliot stacks which looked amazing . After finally  purchasing a trace Elliot combo, it was more awkward and heavier than Gemma Collins . It had to go . 

Best setup I ever had was in my last band last decade. It was an Aguilar AG head , and one of those Aguilar cabs in various colours . . I chose the beige .

Mr drummer laughed before our first rehearsal when seeing it, saying it looks like something from a 50's coffee shop. After rehearsal he was astounded by the sound and changed his opinion . It sounded great through an 8 string also

Thank god for technology .  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

That first pic looks like something out of bassist magazine 😼👍

Nah, they wouldn't leave a bottle of drink on a cab. -_-

xD :P

Edited by Dad3353
  • Haha 2

On 08/05/2021 at 18:32, fretmeister said:

Loads of really light stuff now. Almost everyone does a Class D amplifier head of similar weight.

GR Bass and Barefaced make cabs that are even lighter, and as the speaker tech has moved on they sound better too.

Thanks, I’ll check them out.

11 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Nah, they wouldn't leave a bottle of drink on a cab. -_-

xD :P

If you watch Kay Mellor's TV programme 'Girlfriends', that's where the shot is from (on the set - we were the band in the show). I am now worried that I may have inadvertently caused a slight continuity error with that bottle, as I don't think it was on the rig when I had to play through it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyt1TSe6jXE

They picked a song from the 'on pain of death' section of our setlist.
The additional guitarist in the middle was an actor. Gerrard Fletcher.

Edited by 12stringbassist
  • Like 1

On 08/05/2021 at 13:29, PaulThePlug said:

Any idea what make the odd looking six strings on the left are?

pressumably the vol and tone mounted at 90° as some sort of 'roller' control?

I've not seen those Mavericks things for years. Never saw anyone playing on either